Considering an addition to the family

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
While the GR2120 owners love them,the long term maintenance cost will disappoint.
Cables,HST issues,and more.
A smaller bare bones used BX with any deck may be a cost efficient solution.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You sound just like all the rest of the liberals that I know. When you get called out on something, then you just delete it and then claim it was just a joke. I would tell you what you could do with your egg nog and Dulcolax (this is the correct spelling) however, if I did, then I would be putting myself in jeopardy of being banned. You and your "joke" comments are just not worth it.
Stop ruining the thread on someone asking for help on a lawn mower tractor by having to insert your own political agenda. If you want to do that go over into the off topic and start your own thread.

Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
William1, ultimately, only you can decide what is best for your situation and how much you want to spend to achieve it. There are so many choices from box store junk to have unserviceable components to quality machines like the GR, BX and B series. I would look towards the future and decide which machine will last the longest, fit your needs the best, be the most comfortable to use and still be easy to use as you get older and your mobility decreases. If you already have a tractor with a loader, then buy one without and set it up as a dedicated lawnmower and enjoy.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Looks terribly cumbersome. But thanks, I did not know what an 'F' was.
I want small, to squeeze in spots, short and narrow. Pretty much no larger than my existing Craftsman Garden Tractor with a 46" deck. I want to ensure hand mowing is eliminated and weed wacker use is minimal.

So a BX is smaller than a B? Shame taking the BH off and installing the 3pt stuff is such a chore. I'd just get a deck for my BX if that were not the case., I my old age, I deserve things to be a bit easier.
The GR2120 with the glide turn and auto 4wd seems nice. If only the blower was not such a monstrosity. Perhaps a bare bones BX with a 48" mower is the right move.
Sort of too bad I cannot get a B, swap the FEL and BH from my BX to the new B and then use my BX as a mower.....

Anyone ever run a GR without the blower? My Craftsman has no blower and it does 'suck' pretty good.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
When my cub cadet garden tractor was about to die, I looked at sub tractors. Didn’t want much bigger but did want a loader. Bought a new BX1880. Has a loader,3 point on the back, and a 54 inch mower deck underneath. Fits in the garage great. I made sure to get a quick connect for the bucket so I can remove it for cutting grass. The mower is a beast. My cub had issues in thick grass. The 1880 chews right through it without breaking a sweat. Don’t know how old you are but my loader has saved my back from doing the heavy lifting. Go sit on a 1880. Drive it around. I think you will get it. Good luck.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It's not brain surgery. I have a Craftsman lawn tractor to mow a half acre or so of grass. I'm old too, and switching implements, especually a MMM, is something I avoid.

IMO... for you....

Spend the money and get a BX1880 as @Bearcatrp said.

Or, go buy a new gas Cub Cadet, Craftsman, or similar every 5 to 15 years.

It's your money.

Pride and performance. Or economy and cheapness. Both will get your grass mowed.

This thread is silly....

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
So many BXs without loaders in the Marketplace, you can pick one up for 4-6 grand. No way would I buy new. But then again, I can't understand bagging grass anyway, the best way to mow grass is on a zero turn, nothing comes close to the ease and speed. Not sure what this tearing up the grass rumor is, as long as you slow down for the turns they are super gentle.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Looks terribly cumbersome. But thanks, I did not know what an 'F' was.
I want small, to squeeze in spots, short and narrow. Pretty much no larger than my existing Craftsman Garden Tractor with a 46" deck. I want to ensure hand mowing is eliminated and weed wacker use is minimal.

So a BX is smaller than a B? Shame taking the BH off and installing the 3pt stuff is such a chore. I'd just get a deck for my BX if that were not the case., I my old age, I deserve things to be a bit easier.
The GR2120 with the glide turn and auto 4wd seems nice. If only the blower was not such a monstrosity. Perhaps a bare bones BX with a 48" mower is the right move.
Sort of too bad I cannot get a B, swap the FEL and BH from my BX to the new B and then use my BX as a mower.....

Anyone ever run a GR without the blower? My Craftsman has no blower and it does 'suck' pretty good.
I have the SCAG 48" ZTR.
With the FX series 22 HP Kawasaki engine.
Wonderful machine.
Can be bought new for under $5,000.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I understand your reluctance to switch to a traditional ZT. We purchased a Cub Cadet ZT with the steering wheel and it works just like a tractor in both rear wheels are driving all the time, but the turning radius is much better than a lawn tractor. Ours is only 42" but they are also available in wider cutting widths. Works great and doesn't tear up the lawn. Just an alternative.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you care about turning radius and not having to hand cut / use a line trimmer, then:

1. A zero turn will turn tighter and cut closer than any other machine you're discussing. They take a bit to learn, but if you're careful what you do will do a great job. They go better on a smooth lawn, you have a tractor that you can use to make a smooth lawn.
2. A BX turns reasonably well, and actually a wider deck gives you tighter radiuses (for the same turn at the wheels, it's cutting a tighter circle 'cause the deck sticks out wider) - so the 60" deck cuts closer
3. The F turns really well. They look cumbersome, but because the rear wheels are the turning wheels, you can push the deck really close to everything. But they're a big machine, they're made for cutting commercial quantities of grass very fast. I was a bit tongue in cheek there - they're a monster and I'd really like one, but they're quite expensive and they only do one thing, unlike a tractor. (But they do that one thing really really well)
4. You have a tractor. Just modify your landscaping so that all the radiuses are appropriate to whatever you're mowing with

A BX TLB will sell really well. You don't need to move the loader and backhoe across, you just sell the machine as a going concern, and buy a B26 as a going concern. It' s a bigger and more powerful machine. And then you buy a BX just for mowing. The 1880 is the mowing only machine, but if you want to run a bagger as well you might be a bit down on HP. But you can get 2380's everywhere.

A BX isn't that much smaller than a B, but it is smaller. The size goes BX->B->LX->L->Grand L->MX->M-> keep on going.