Considering a B2601 for around the house.

dkc923

Equipment
m7060 cab, b2601, kx080-4, l305
Oct 11, 2013
South Louisiana
Would love to get you guys advice on the B2601 for just simple around the house work. I have 80 acres so obviously I have larger tractors (m7060 cab and Ih 1066) for the big stuff. I'm thinking it would be super handy for gardening or light loader work around the house. It would also be my first tractor with a HST transmission which I kind of like the thought of because it would be easier for my wife and younger children to learn to use. It's not something I need because I do have the larger tractors but I do feel like it's something that would be super convenient. Also thinking the little thing may get me off the old farmalls in the garden and give me the modern luxury of power steering. Any of you guys with larger tractors have a smaller one just for small simple stuff and think it was worth the purchase?

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I don’t have anything near the size of your M to make a fair comparison, however IMO a BX or B is preferable in a garden (I’d zprefer my B over the MX in a smaller garden and around house and buildings (size and maneuverability standpoint).….especially if you don’t have a lot room where you go in / come out of garden like when tilling. They are like having a diesel powered wheel barrow IMO. I think you are in the right size range. With appropriately sized implements they do really well (tiller garden bedder etc). 🥃

Reactions: 1 users

dkc923

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
South Louisiana
Good day. I don’t have anything near the size of your M to make a fair comparison, however IMO a BX or B is preferable in a garden (I’d zprefer my B over the MX in a smaller garden and around house and buildings (size and maneuverability standpoint).….especially if you don’t have a lot room where you go in / come out of garden like when tilling. They are like having a diesel powered wheel barrow IMO. I think you are in the right size range. With appropriately sized implements they do really well (tiller garden bedder etc). 🥃
The tractor I had previous to the 7060 was a mx5100. It did okay in the garden but a little oversized like you're saying. Between a pto tiller and a cultivator bar with plows and disc hillers on it behind the B I should be set I'm thinking.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The tractor I had previous to the 7060 was a mx5100. It did okay in the garden but a little oversized like you're saying. Between a pto tiller and a cultivator bar with plows and disc hillers on it behind the B I should be set I'm thinking.
I have a land pride 58” tiller and it does just fine…I was surprised actually….maybe have different results depending on your soil but it works fine, so does a bedder. I have a grapple, chipper and forks as well and actually cut most of my wood with my B…just a little more convenient. Ballast box is really helpful if much weight in the loader.

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I got my B2601 for about the same reasons. I wanted a 4WD tractor that was nimble with a MMM for mowing my parks (forested areas with grass) as well as my hillside “yard”. I did it with the L and a brush hog, but the B is a bit more precise.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
B is more tractor than the BX for very little more money. So definitely B over BX.

It's nice to have a house tractor. Bringing big tractors near the house is painful - they dig up the lawn and are harder to manoeuvre. It's also good to have something easy of the kids to learn to drive, although if your property is reasonably flat no reason they can't learn to drive a Farmall.

Would you mow with it? I mow with my B and find it very useful, and that's a chore the kids can do easily on one.

Definitely consider a grapple and/or forks (depending on exactly what your property is like and how many burn piles you make). And that means SSQA.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Would love to get you guys advice on the B2601 for just simple around the house work. I have 80 acres so obviously I have larger tractors (m7060 cab and Ih 1066) for the big stuff. I'm thinking it would be super handy for gardening or light loader work around the house. It would also be my first tractor with a HST transmission which I kind of like the thought of because it would be easier for my wife and younger children to learn to use. It's not something I need because I do have the larger tractors but I do feel like it's something that would be super convenient. Also thinking the little thing may get me off the old farmalls in the garden and give me the modern luxury of power steering. Any of you guys with larger tractors have a smaller one just for small simple stuff and think it was worth the purchase?
I have an old B7200DT and I liked to describe it as my "garden tractor on steroids". The one thing it won't do well is plow. Otherwise I think you have it pretty well pegged.

Dan

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think a B2601 without loaded tires and possibly R14s would be a good choice and definitely would do less damage to the yard.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I had a B2301 I traded in for an L series. Sometimes I miss the B. It was so much smaller and lighter. If I were you (and could afford it) I’d sure like to have a B2601 HST with unloaded turf tires for using around the house. It’s a lot of money for something that may not be strictly speaking necessary, but I bet you’ll love it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have 3 tractors.
One is a 1951 8N, which was a fine old tractor in it's day (I have owned it for 50 years), but it just sits in my barn.
One is a delightful 32HP Ford (Shibaura), that I bought used and refurbished.
It is relatively small, and is my go to machine.
One is a Kubota 48HP TLB.
A great machine, but at 83, I now use it very seldom.

I like your B2601 idea.

P.S. Many moons ago, I went through USN advanced flight training, in your SW Louisiana area.
NAS New Iberia.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
The B2601 HST would be a great addition for chores in the garden and around your house. It’s a fantastic tractor that the whole family can use.

Mike

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
Well, I suppose I finally know how to avoid the standard OTT advice to buy bigger: show up ALREADY OWNING an M. Hahaha.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

dkc923

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
South Louisiana
I have 3 tractors.
One is a 1951 8N, which was a fine old tractor in it's day (I have owned it for 50 years), but it just sits in my barn.
One is a delightful 32HP Ford (Shibaura), that I bought used and refurbished.
It is relatively small, and is my go to machine.
One is a Kubota 48HP TLB.
A great machine, but at 83, I now use it very seldom.

I like your B2601 idea.

P.S. Many moons ago, I went through USN advanced flight training, in your SW Louisiana area.
NAS New Iberia.
That's awesome! Not too far from me. I'm right in the tow of the boot.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Orange Confucius said once:

"One of money can never have too many Kubota's".

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I bought my B2601 about 2 years ago primarily for mowing my 2+ acre suburban lot. I have the MMM and the loader with bucket and forks. Its really a handy tractor. I have not regretted my purchase at all. I also have an older gear driven tractor I use on acreage elsewhere. The hydrostatic transmission is a game changer. I real pleasure to operate. The other real benefit of owning a Kubota tractor is the readily available advice available here. Some pretty smart and experienced people on the site. Good luck.

kdparker

Equipment
Kubota B2601 and RTV520
Nov 23, 2020
East Tennessee
I was in the same position as you. I have a large cab tractor and I purchased a B2601 with FEL & MMM about one year ago. It has been the best decision. I use it almost every day for some chore.

dkc923

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
South Louisiana
I was in the same position as you. I have a large cab tractor and I purchased a B2601 with FEL & MMM about one year ago. It has been the best decision. I use it almost every day for some chore.
That is my thoughts exactly. Can use the little thing for just about anything. Also being hydrostatic and the wife being able to use it makes it a little easier to convince her;)

Plant 175

Equipment
Kubota Sidekick
Jun 3, 2021
Wisconsin
The B2601 works great with a flail mow to get my deer trails mowed. Very nimble getting around curves and backing up. My wife wondered why I didn’t go bigger but the correct size for what I want done.

dkc923

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
South Louisiana
The B2601 works great with a flail mow to get my deer trails mowed. Very nimble getting around curves and backing up. My wife wondered why I didn’t go bigger but the correct size for what I want done.
Women... Always wishing it was bigger🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users