Confused about tractor RPMs + L, M, H (Kubota L3301)

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Your tractor has an ANALOG sensor, same as 99.44% of all tanks in all vehicles. While your readout (gauge) may be digital, the 'computer' reads the sensor, does some math, then displays the result.
A TRUE 'digital' sensor(zero moving parts) would be very expensive to make, depending on the resolution needed although you can make one with a several reed switches and a floating magnet.
The sending units are mechanical with a pivoting float or a column float. The signal is sent to the gauge based on resistance, but most of the signaling mechanism are not linear. The column type has a magnet on the float that passes by points in the column which changes the resistance signal sent. Some columns have only 4 or 5 position sensors, others have much more. If the column only has 4, the gauge will only register in quarter tank increments. If the column has 8, it will read in eighths. Obviously the more register points, the more accurate the gauge will read regardless if it's a digital or analog gauge. I know the old BX has a pivoting float actuator and an analog gauge. I'm guessing my newer B either has a more sensitive actuator on the pivot arm or they changed to a column type sending unit with eight sensors. I figured someone on here would know. The pivoting arm float types are prone to registering 'full' for a long time since they don't start moving until the level goes from where ever it is above the float down to the bottom of the float. They are also less accurate when the tractor is tilted in the same plane as the pivoting arm. I could not find any info in the owners manual regarding sending unit type for my B. I'm curious enough that I'll check Messick's for a part number and find out.

For what it's worth, I bent the pick up float arm in the BX to move it as high as possible in the tank so it would register sooner, but it still reads full until it's below 3/4 full.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Turns out someone was right. I think my fuel gauge must be broken. There's no way after 5 hrs of usage fuel should be full...I look into the tank and say it's only about half full.
If yours is anything like my L4400 I can tell you it probably does work BUT not the way you are used to, like in a car. Mine stays at F until the tank is about 2/3's gone and then rapidly moves toward E. For months I thought it was broken, even bought a replacement on Amazon (which didn't fit). I always kept it filled and then realized once I let it go down it was working--in its own way.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’m just happy to have a fuel gauge that sort of works without stopping the machine and inserting a clean stick into the tank. Both our older machines require the stick in tank gauge. They’re both gassers with downdraft carbs so thankfully running them out of fuel isn’t a big deal like it is on the common rail diesel. Is the gauge on the Kubota truly accurate throughout its range? Probably not. With the gauge on the Kubota when it gets down to 1/4 tank it’s time to add another 6 gallon can of diesel. That’s all I really need to know and I don’t have to keep a stinky fuel soaked stick in the toolbox so I’m good with that.

Reactions: 2 users

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
My guess for the gear drive being in other parts of the world verses US has nothing to do with laziness, but with cost. Gear drives are cheaper and been around longer. US, higher income level brings the newest equipment to this market in mass.
You live a different, and richer, country than I do then.

Just because something costs more, it doesn't make it better. Gear drive is more efficient, you can't change physics. American's are too lazy to shift. Cars, trucks, tractors, you name it, too lazy to shift.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
On my L2501 the tank has a large upper shelf that tapers down to a narrower deep section to the rear of the engine. A standard rheostat type float guage will go down slowly over the top 6 inches (about 6 gallons), and then quickly for the bottom 5 inches or so.
1638732414486.png

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

Just because something costs more, it doesn't make it better. Gear drive is more efficient, you can't change physics. American's are too lazy to shift. Cars, trucks, tractors, you name it, too lazy to shift.
Don't know where you live, so it could be true, yet facts are facts and when it comes to income United States out paces most of the world.

Glad to see the whole problem is just lazy Americans. Also, you are actually incorrect on shifting. There has been some great advancements made along those lines, where now automatics can out preform people, yet I know lazy Americans.

How Automatic Transmissions Overtook Manuals in Speed and Efficiency (interestingengineering.com)
(just one of the articles discussing this topic)

I guess we need to get rid of all those lazy fighter pilots that use fly-by-wire systems and go back to the old string and pulley system since it has to be better, they are just lazy fighter pilots.

PS-seen in your sig line you are from Michigan, average income $41,950; average world income $9,480

Median annual wage - USAFacts
Average income around the world (worlddata.info)
What is the Average Monthly Salary in the World in 2020? - AllinAllSpace

Last edited:

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
On my L2501 the tank has a large upper shelf that tapers down to a narrower deep section to the rear of the engine. A standard rheostat type float guage will go down slowly over the top 6 inches (about 6 gallons), and then quickly for the bottom 5 inches or so. View attachment 70931
Ya so I ended up about 15 hrs of usage on a full tank. Around this time the gauge was showing nearly empty. I added 5 gallons (about half of the tank capacity) and the fuel gauge shows nearly full!

This is disappointing to discover in a brand new tractor. It seems accurate up to 5-6 gallons and prior to that for 5 gallons it shows 100% full. Basically it’s accurate for only 1/2 the tank.

Is mine broke or everyone else similar?

Bit sidetracked, but it seems to be about .75 gallons per hour at PTO RPM doing light loader/backhoe work. I ended up needing a regen at 15hrs as well despite running 2k+ rpm always.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Cars and trucks are discontinuing gear transmissions because of fuel economy. The new 6, 8, and sometimes 10 speed automatics and CVTs get consistently better fuel economy than standard clutched transmissions.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Ya so I ended up about 15 hrs of usage on a full tank. Around this time the gauge was showing nearly empty. I added 5 gallons (about half of the tank capacity) and the fuel gauge shows nearly full!

This is disappointing to discover in a brand new tractor. It seems accurate up to 5-6 gallons and prior to that for 5 gallons it shows 100% full. Basically it’s accurate for only 1/2 the tank.

Is mine broke or everyone else similar?

Bit sidetracked, but it seems to be about .75 gallons per hour at PTO RPM doing light loader/backhoe work. I ended up needing a regen at 15hrs as well despite running 2k+ rpm always.
Mine has a 13.5 gallon tank. When it gets to 1/4 tank on the gauge, I add 6 gallons of diesel (one can) and it’s full. So according to the gauge: 13.5(1-0.25)=6. 👎 It’s good for telling me when to add fuel, but that’s all it’s good for.

To accurately figure fuel consumption, I’d have to do the old school fill, record hour meter time, refill later with measured quantity, record hour meter time, divide quantity required to fill by hours used between fill ups to get gph.

I haven’t done that with my L because its not truly relevant to my use of the machine and my curiosity has yet to overcome my laser focused operational efficiency (or laziness depending on your perspective).

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Never thought about it but I guess I am one of them lazy dudes. At 74 years young I have owned 8 tractors and the last one is HST. I will have to admit that after 74 years I do look for easier way of doing lots of things. ;)

Reactions: 3 users

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Cars and trucks are discontinuing gear transmissions because of fuel economy. The new 6, 8, and sometimes 10 speed automatics and CVTs get consistently better fuel economy than standard clutched transmissions.
All that proves is most people don't know how to drive. Look at the numbers of a tractor offered with both hydro and gear drive, same crankshaft horsepower, but the gear drive tractor will always have more PTO horsepower. Because efficiency.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Don't know where you live, so it could be true, yet facts are facts and when it comes to income United States out paces most of the world.

Glad to see the whole problem is just lazy Americans. Also, you are actually incorrect on shifting. There has been some great advancements made along those lines, where now automatics can out preform people, yet I know lazy Americans.

How Automatic Transmissions Overtook Manuals in Speed and Efficiency (interestingengineering.com)
(just one of the articles discussing this topic)

I guess we need to get rid of all those lazy fighter pilots that use fly-by-wire systems and go back to the old string and pulley system since it has to be better, they are just lazy fighter pilots.

PS-seen in your sig line you are from Michigan, average income $41,950; average world income $9,480

Median annual wage - USAFacts
Average income around the world (worlddata.info)
What is the Average Monthly Salary in the World in 2020? - AllinAllSpace
It may be true some automation can perform better than some humans. That just proves American's are not only to lazy to shift, but also too stupid to know how to do it properly.

There is also a huge difference between a true automatic, which no tractor has, and a power robbing hydro which subcompacts and subcompacts do.

I make way the hell less than "average" according to your numbers. There may a couple of millionaires to raise the "average" while most of the population makes squat. Hey wait, that IS America.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
While the fuel gauge on my L2501 isn't perfect, it is accurate enough to know when to top off the tank. My gauge was still above half and I dumped in a full 5 gal can. The gauge went above 3/4 and that's pretty close to accurate. I still have room for more fuel. I'll have to top off my can and see how much more it will take. I have no complaints with the way it reads. The shape of the tank posted earlier makes sense.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
All that proves is most people don't know how to drive. Look at the numbers of a tractor offered with both hydro and gear drive, same crankshaft horsepower, but the gear drive tractor will always have more PTO horsepower. Because efficiency.
It doesn’t prove that people don’t know how to drive; it proves that multiple speed transmissions are more fuel efficient. Do you want to drive a standard 10 speed vehicle? I wouldn’t, but the new automatic transmissions have more gear speeds than any standard transmissions.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It may be true some automation can perform better than some humans. That just proves American's are not only to lazy to shift, but also too stupid to know how to do it properly.
Which is why professional drivers in industries where efficiency = big $$$ (mining, grading, large scale farming, logging, road building, construction, etc.) all their tractors and other equipment are clutch and stick and they’re trained to run it efficiently with that clutch and stick; bulldozers, wheel loaders, drag pans, graders, rock trucks, yard lifts, everything. Because when efficiency has to be maximized it’s clutch and stick every time regardless what the job is.

We have three tractors. Two are dry clutch and a simple gear box with stick. One is HST. Apparently I’m lazy and stupid when I’m driving the HST but hard working and smart when driving the other two. Really don’t know where “stupid” got into the equation. I’ve been driving stick shift cars, trucks, and farm equipment since I was 8. If someone truly lacks the cognitive capacity to drive a 13 speed Road Ranger hooked to a two speed splitter with a little patience and practice, they’re also too stupid to tie their work boots. It’s work but it ain’t rocket science.

Just kidding. I do get the point. Everyone who has any setup different from yours is lazy and stupid. Duly noted.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

There is also a huge difference between a true automatic, which no tractor has, and a power robbing hydro which subcompacts and subcompacts do.

I make way the hell less than "average" according to your numbers. There may a couple of millionaires to raise the "average" while most of the population makes squat. Hey wait, that IS America.
Well I find it interesting that you give your opinion, yet nothing to backup your opinion.

I guess race car drivers are stupid and lazy also since they are shifting away (pun intended) from manual to automatics.

Automatic vs Manual For Racing: Which Is Better? – FLOW RACERS
Indycar 2012 Technology Part 1: Transmission - Racecar Engineering (racecar-engineering.com)

Now one of the big complaints with the new transmissions are that a less skillful drive can compete at the same level as others. That kind of blows a hole in your opinion that automatics are worthless and for stupid people only. You could make the statement that the automatics are for those less skilled, but that isn't completely true statement either when you do the research. If you are wanting to win, you take advantage of every feature so you have very skilled drivers using these transmissions and thus taking the shifting out of the equation and letting the transmission deal with it.

I will agree that there are many that no longer know how to drive a manual transmission, yet making a generalized statement that people are stupid and or lazy because they don't is a failure on your part.

As far as hydrostatic transmissions, well they are being used in larger and more powerful equipment that John Deere makes (examples below).

Deere Launches Its Largest Crawler Dozer the New 1050K (heavyequipmentguide.ca)
The 1050K incorporates an EPA Final Tier 4/ EU Stage IV PowerTech diesel engine with 350 hp (261 kW). Completely redesigned from the ground up, the 1050K’s dual-path hydrostatic transmission allows an operator to push a full load through turns without losing material, unlike torque-converter transmissions on competitor machines.

John Deere Crawler Dozers 850B

As with most technology, automatic transmissions included, earlier versions had challenges and could be outmatched. Yet, technology continues to evolve and improve bringing along benefits to the end user.

As far as your income level, none of my business. I just gave you the data for your State. Like all data, there are highs and lows which make up the average. This holds true for every State and every nation. On the whole, the United States is a wealthy nation compared to the other nations.

Finally, the nice thing about living in the US, you have choices. You can decide what works best for you, your budget, and your use style. Yet, the same applies to others and they can make choices that work best for them. Calling them stupid or lazy is just showing your own ignorance.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Which is why professional drivers in industries where efficiency = big $$$ (mining, grading, large scale farming, logging, road building, construction, etc.) all their tractors and other equipment are clutch and stick and they’re trained to run it efficiently with that clutch and stick; bulldozers, wheel loaders, drag pans, graders, rock trucks, yard lifts, everything. Because when efficiency has to be maximized it’s clutch and stick every time regardless what the job is.

You need to take a look at new equipment that is being produced and sold. A dry clutch and manual shifts are going the way of the buggy whip. People do not know how to drive them correctly. The coal mine that my dad worked at changed to automatics for the 110 ton coal hauler trucks back in the 60's and 70's. Reliability and cost savings where the main reason. Many of the new Cat dozers are autos. The list goes on.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Agree. I was being sarcastic. Sometimes I’m an a$$hole like that. 🙂

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Fuel tanks are commonly not symmetrical and therefore fuel gauges are only approximations. Keep a record of its behavior versus hours and versus indications with regard to actual level.
I had a tractor once with a non-symmetrical tank. I emptied it…then poured in 2 gals and stuck a paint stick down to the bottom and marked the stick. I added 2 more..and did it again…and again…until it was full, marking each level. I could “dipstick” that tank anytime i wanted and knew exactly how much fuel was in it.
Gauges are not trustworthy in any case.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I just top off my 2501 after every use. Isn't that what the manual says?

I have to do that in my old tractor because it has a metal tank full of rust.

My old tractor fuel gauge works better than the 2501. It has about 20 positions on it though.