Conex Box?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Any big advantages/disadvantages to using a conex box for storage, possibly even parking the tractor in it?
Neighbor has one & loves it, appears to be much more secure than a wooden shed, or even my garage for that matter. He stores his B1750 or his Polaris Ranger in it with no apparent problems. He wants another, & we might get a break if we buy two at the same time. Another neighbor swears things will turn to rust if it isn't well vented.
We have a spot where one will fit if I take out one small tree, with good cover on 3 sides, so we and the general public won't have to look at it.
Opinions?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Am I to assume you are talkig about the steel shipping containers? If so the only thing I have seen with them is on cool high humidity days they may sweat inside and on sunny days they get like an oven. Other wise I have seen them out on job sites and they are the cats azz

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I think you may be referring to one of those containers that are becoming popular (and more expensive).

I like the idea, and want to get one or two for storage and maybe to use for a shop. But that's after I've filled in my backyard. In my area, no permit is required for placing the container. (Running elec or/and water does require permitting.)

I've heard that rust is a problem. I've never heard that from someone with first-hand facts. That being said, even tools in your toolbox may rust, depending on humidity and temperature. Think about it: if the temp. drops and your tools get cold, when warm moist air hits them, they're gonna form condensation. Left alone, they will rust.

When (well, if) I get one, I'll prolly put in some kind of vents. More important, I plan to put in some kind of heat (and possibly A/C) just so that things stored in them (like furniture) do not suffer too great a temperature change. I expect that would also help to prevent rust problems.

Sadly, many of the available containers have been removed from service because of problems that would add to the potential for rust. Good luck in your choice!

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
A friend got 2, not bad shape at all, $2,000.00 each 10x20's for storage at his 165ac hunting property. We set them on concrete blocks, than he ran across some truss. We put the containers about 15' apart, laid the truss across them on 4' center, than a steel roof. Very strong and with the roof (shade) no problems with moisture, and very secure. (almost fire proof) Not sure how much he has in it total. But it looks pretty nice. (no eye sore)
BTW, his has wood walls covering the inside.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Any big advantages/disadvantages to using a conex box for storage, possibly even parking the tractor in it?
Neighbor has one & loves it, appears to be much more secure than a wooden shed, or even my garage for that matter. He stores his B1750 or his Polaris Ranger in it with no apparent problems. He wants another, & we might get a break if we buy two at the same time. Another neighbor swears things will turn to rust if it isn't well vented.
We have a spot where one will fit if I take out one small tree, with good cover on 3 sides, so we and the general public won't have to look at it.
Opinions?
I always wanted one - had a chance about 20 year ago, had to pass, not enough $$$.

If I had one now - I not sure where I could place it, and they are so $%@## expensive too. By the time I got and set it up level, I could have built a larger shed.......love the idea of one though.

I would modify mine if I had one to allow some kind of air flow, lights etc...

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I bought a 10X20, at auction last fall for $400 took another $265 to hire a rollback to haul it to the farm. Gonna roll it into final position with rollers, when I get a slab poured. Baltimore prices are about $1600, but if you check Craigs list, and Auctionzip.com lots of times you can find one that you can buy at auction for way le$$:D

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Lil Foot,

The containers are a great storage solution. Compared to what a nice wooden shed costs, you get a lot more storage. They are fairly secure, but I always say locks are for honest people. If someone really wants in and they have enough time, they can get into it. I would guess that a steel container is more difficult to get into than a wooden shed.

Being in AZ, I would vent that box. An easy/efficient way is to use two 4" solar powered fans drilled through the rear side towards the top. Then dill in two 4" intake vents on the front sides towards the bottom. That way when the sun comes out the fans will turn on and move air through the box. The fans usually come with a small solar panel and are not expensive.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for the input everyone. Kinda amazed at the price spread:
$2,000.00 each 10x20's
10X20, at auction last fall for $400 took another $265 to hire a rollback to haul it to the farm.
My neighbor paid $1700 delivered (100mi round trip) for a pretty decent one.
I'll have to see what I can get with the funds available this summer.

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Friend of mine in NE Florida had a 20ft for storage. Only problem was the floor rusted out because he had it sitting on dirt. Good, secure storage.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Had a 10x20 at my old place of work. Sat on an old concrete slab. Came with vents on each corner3x6" if i recall
Built a fold-in ramp for getting in-out with a mower. Was bone dry. All the time.
Saving up for a 40 footer , they same money up here.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One thing you may want to think about is,,,,,,,, will your county township or municipality let you put one in!! Some places even out here in the boondocks have ordnances against them. I have no clue my self but I would suspect because someone thinks they aint pretty er sumthin. I have seen several with vinyl siding on them and they fit right in with the rest of the buildings on the property. I know of at least 2, there maybe more hunting cabins, that have been built using them 2 set side by side, with a door way cut between them, no worse then a double wide. But then its a hunting camp too.

Mbarrette

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota U55, Kubota SVL75, Kubota B3030, Kubota L6060, Kubota ZG21, Kubota L4760
Mar 8, 2015
Creston, BC, Canada
Sweets is right. We just purchased three containers (8x20) for the farm last year which is the maximum allowed for our zoning. The regional district here in Canada requires that they are installed sheltered from view.

Our containers are a light color and came with three vents on each side. We installed shelving inside one container for tools, parts, farm stuff.... It's amazing how much stuff you can squeeze into 160 square feet.

It's only been one year, but we haven't had any rust or condensation issues thus far. My son left a tote full of his wood working planes in one container over the summer and winter, and I was amazed that they didn't have any rust on them whatsoever. Humidity here in Creston is high in the spring and fall.

We also left our B3030 in one container over the winter.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LMAO,, That's not the worst thing I have ever been called:D

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Opinions?
When I had my business I had three of them for storing truck parts, you could drive right in with a skid of truck spring without any worries of going through the floor. We had shelving welded to the walls on one, and on another we welded hinges on and cut a door in the end to make it a drive thru. We didn't have a problem with condensation and if you want to move them you can hook on and drag them around fairly easily.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Zoning is not an issue, county allows them, must be 20 of them within a 5 mile radius- most people have done a good job placing them where they are not obvious, and seem to have avoided garish colors. Checked out the neighbor's last Thursday & it has two vents on diagonally opposite sides. He said the seller told him they are required to be vented now, too many people dying in them while being smuggled from China & such places.
One setup I saw nearby had two containers set about 12-14 feet apart, with a roof built with metal trusses over the gap, forming a carport. Nice.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
the venting is usually for rapid decompression. the steel ones don't get air transported much, but I used to work somewhere they made lightweight versions specifically for air transport. in the instance of rapid decompression, ie opening a cargo door or, God forbid, something hits the plane, the differential pressure makes a sealed box mighty dangerous.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.