compression release cable

Sandor

Equipment
L355SS
Oct 9, 2015
Mannington
The compression release cable on my tractor is rusted solid - tried just about everything and can't loosen it. I am going to replace it, but before I do, can I assume that whatever the cable operates is okay? (I know nothing about compression release mechanisms.) Is there a way to test the release mechanism itself?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The short answer is yes. :D disconnect the cable from where it attaches to a rocker on the motor. You should be able to operate the rocker by hand with very little effort. You can take it a step further and hook a piece of wire to where the cable attaches. Pull on the wire to hold the rocker in the open position. Tie it off, and try to start the tractor. It should spin over very fast, and sound like there isn't any compression. On my l1501, the cable had broke going to the compression release when my father in law owned it. He didn't realize there was a kill lever by your foot. So he used to pop the hood and operate the compression release by hand to shut the tractor down.

Gordon Jones

Equipment
L1500
Jul 17, 2011
Tualatin,Oregon
I was able to free my comp release cable up by removing it and pouring a
rust remover down inside. Just keep working at it.
I had to weld a bolt onto the handle end for something to grip. G

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you needed a new cable, they come complete from the knob to the clamp on the pivoting end. They're like $20-$25.

I'd suggest if you do buy a new one slide the cable out of the sheath and put some white lithium grease on it before installing. Then use it once in a while so it doesn't seize up again.

On cold days you can pull the compression release out, then turn over your engine for short burst of 15-20 seconds and that will help heat the engine a tad quicker when you go to start it the first time.

Sandor

Equipment
L355SS
Oct 9, 2015
Mannington
I tried to operate the rocker on the decompression shaft by hand but I couldn't-seems like the shaft is stuck or corroded where it goes into the valve cover. I didn't want to hammer on it, it looks pretty delicate. I bought the tractor used, I suspect that shaft hasn't moved in a long time. Any way to loosen it without taking off the valve cover?

jfnewell1965

Equipment
B6200D
Aug 19, 2014
Katy, TX
www.jfnewell.com
I tried to operate the rocker on the decompression shaft by hand but I couldn't-seems like the shaft is stuck or corroded where it goes into the valve cover. I didn't want to hammer on it, it looks pretty delicate. I bought the tractor used, I suspect that shaft hasn't moved in a long time. Any way to loosen it without taking off the valve cover?
Not sure if it is right or not, but mine was stuck as well. I sprayed a little WD40 on the joint and it is now it is free and works just fine. I had to spray, work it a few times, and then spray again and work it a few times.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Try Kroil from KanoLabs either aerosol or liquid and see if that will loosen the pivot at its entry into the valve cover. Kano also offers material that will cut carbon. A few bucks tried first will be easier / cheaper than opening the valve cover. Wiggle it with your fingers and may take multiple applications. Gentle repeat gentle heat might help too.

Compression release used primarily for cold starts. Pull [functioning] release knob, spin engine with starter to build oil pressure and distribute fuel, push in knob, engine should light off, release starter.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.