Compact tractor purchase

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
True - torque and the tractor's weight greatly affect capability.
That extra weight does affect capability, sometimes in a negative manner.

Example: B2560 and l2501. Have both pick up 1,000 lb load on their loader and then try to carry it up a steep hill. Both have essentially 26 hp to carry it uphill, but the l2501 also has to carry its extra 873 lbs up that hill.

For loader and hydraulic, sometimes the extra weight is a hindrance. For groundwork that extra weight is essential and increases capability. All depends on what work you need to get done.

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks for all of the great feedback.

I never considered a BX simply because of the low ground clearance and lift capacity/lift height. I also ruled out the LX2610SU because the cost savings were not enough to justify loss of features and mid PTO (resale).

Price difference between the 26HP compacts isn't a concern and won't impact my decision. It also won't impact what implements I purchase. The main goal of this purchase is to get some of my time back as I am currently doing all of my defined tasks manually. So from my point of view, this is money well spent.

I have been on the B2601, LX2610, and L2501. They all felt huge to me which I guess it to be expected as I have never even been on a riding mower before. I guess my primary concern is getting the tractor home and having it be huge on my property. Maybe this is just a mental thing since all three are within inches of each other.

I did state no mowing but I was referring to not needing to mow grass. I mentioned a possible future flail in order to deal with underbrush.
jparker,

I can tell you for certain that no matter which model you wind up with, it will shrink when it's finally on your lot. That much, I dare say, all on OTT would agree with. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Example: B2560 and l2501. Have both pick up 1,000 lb load on their loader and then try to carry it up a steep hill. Both have essentially 26 hp to carry it uphill, but the l2501 also has to carry its extra 873 lbs up that hill.
That's not how that would work. They don't have the same gearing, same engine, or same amount of torque.

1000 lbs is a bigger percentage of the weight of a B2560/LX2601 vs a L2501. For the record, the difference in displacement is not tiny.

Displacement of B2650/LX2601 1261 cc
Displacement of L2501 1647 cc

Maximum Torque B2650/LX2601 60.48
Maximum Torque L2501 70.3

Weight of B2650 1786 lbs
Weight of L2501 2623 lbs

Reactions: 2 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
That's not how that would work. They don't have the same gearing, same engine, or same amount of torque.

1000 lbs is a bigger percentage of the weight of a B2560/LX2601 vs a L2501. For the record, the difference in displacement is not tiny.

Displacement of B2650/LX2601 1261 cc
Displacement of L2501 1647 cc

Maximum Torque B2650/LX2601 60.48
Maximum Torque L2501 70.3

Weight of B2650 1786 lbs
Weight of L2501 2623 lbs
I agree the higher displacement has the potential to put out a lot more power, but it's tuned to be rated at 26 hp to prevent needing a particulate filter, same as the 1261 cc. The extra 873 lbs of the L is a 33.2% increase in weight (read that as mass), but no increased hp and only a 16% increase in torque.
The weight of the load as a % of tractor weight is irrelevant. The loader can either lift it or not, then it's up to the engine to move that total weight. All else equal (assuming adequate ballast), adding weight to a tractor does not allow it to lift more, lift is limited by loader capacity.

Personally, I think the size to hp to weight ratios are better with the big B/LX. If I were to go with a much heavier L I would jump up to the higher HP versions. But again, it all boils down to F=MA and what work you need to do.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Personally, I think the size to hp to weight ratios are better with the big B/LX. If I were to go with a much heavier L I would jump up to the higher HP versions. But again, it all boils down to F=MA and what work you need to do.
Of course, hp to weight ratio isn't important for doing work. If it is, you should trade your B for a BX. See how that works for you doing tractor work.

Meanwhile, I've actually traveled with my 66 inch bucket on my L2501 overfull of gravel, dirt, and also arena sand. Nope, I didn't scale it. I do know it can easily handle that load with a 850 lb grader scraper and QH on back as fast as it can safely travel at 4500 ft elevation uphill in M or L.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
jparker,

I can tell you for certain that no matter which model you wind up with, it will shrink when it's finally on your lot. That much, I dare say, all on OTT would agree with. ;)
As has oft been said: BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR !!!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I wondered about the L. Again I'd personally go L3302, a bit more power, brakes on the left.

I'm also not as convinced that a mid-PTO is critical for resale. I figure that you're not in snow country as you said little snow work and no snow blower (so not many people will want a front snow blower), and you're not buying a MMM. So whoever buys it presumably isn't mowing, otherwise they'd buy one with a MMM on it. If you don't want/need a mid-PTO, stands to reason there'll be other people around you who have the same needs when it comes time to sell.

The reality is that all these tractors will do what you need, and all will be a massive improvement over doing work by hand. A BX in my opinion is a bit small to run a flail or a rotary cutter, and limited in lift capacity. It also is limited in ground clearance, so for woods work I think not ideal. I owned one and upgraded to a B2601.

The B2601 is what I have now, and is a good machine. It will do everything you describe. But you asked if an LX might do it a bit better, and indication is that money isn't a big constraint for you. In that world....yeah, an LX would do it a bit better. And an L would do it a bit better still.

Given that all the machines will do what you need, you're down to either one having a feature you need or feeling better to you. Sounds like nothing there to worry about. Then there's consideration of regrets. Will you regret not getting a slightly bigger machine? Will you regret getting a machine that's bigger than you really needed, and your neighbours are all whispering about you? To be honest, I doubt either of those will be a problem - they're not that different in size, and an LX isn't too big for 3 acres. To me the fact you're asking the question means that you would kind of like the LX. So what is the barrier that is holding you back? Because asking the question means that you might have regrets if you don't buy it.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
But, with the L3302....we're talking about a LOT more money.

Looks to me like the B or LX would be great choices for the OP.

Mike

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
This is what I got last Fall to replace my B7510.
I have 10 acres with about 1/2 wooded, 1/3 field that I let a local dairy farmer cut for hay and the house and yard are on the rest. I use a zero turn to mow with. For me an L series it too big to get into my woods and a cab tractor would quickly get every window broken by branches...
I got a set of forks with 4' 3" wide tines and a Wicked 55" grapple to go with it. I had a Woodland Mills WG24 stump grinder I bought when I had the B7510 (too small for the grinder. The grinder would toss the tractor around some when grinding a hard stump.

I have the big 15-19.5 R4 tires loaded with RimGuard (beet juice). The tractor full of fuel but without operator weighs 3,555 pounds as pictured
In my case a B2601 was not an option as all it would be is an extra 5Hp and the same frame size as my old 2004 B7510 (It would have gotten me the SSQA however).

I have been very happy with the LX I do not use high range much. But them for the most part I'm working in smaller areas in the woods and my drive is only 250' long. I have had many times that if it were even a couple of inches longer or wider I would have not gotten between trees to clean up dead fall stuff.

Hope this helps you.
Dave

Attachments

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
But, with the L3302....we're talking about a LOT more money.
Yes. But if I went to an L, I wouldn't go to the L2501. I don't personally think it's enough HP to drive a machine that large. It's made for people who don't like emissions controls. I don't have that particular concern.

For my personal use, I obviously chose a B2601. And I'm very happy with it. With a bit more land maybe an LX, the main benefit for me in that would be a 72 inch MMM.....which wouldn't fit through my shed door.

If I wasn't limited on space, and an extra 2 grand wasn't a problem for me, and I was buying new today, yeah, I'd probably rather have an LX than a B.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Yes. But if I went to an L, I wouldn't go to the L2501. I don't personally think it's enough HP to drive a machine that large. It's made for people who don't like emissions controls. I don't have that particular concern.
You’re assessment of the L2501 is absurd.
I’m still trying to understand how you’re reaching your conclusions on the L2501’s performance.

I’ve owned and operated the B2601. I’m very familiar with it and it’s performance. I currently own an L2501 and I’m very familiar with it and it’s performance. There’s no comparison between the engine performance, the L2501’s D1703 is a much more powerful engine, loads more torque. I’ve also operated my good friends L3301. It’s much more difficult to assess the difference between the engine performance in the L2501 vs L3301 than it is comparing the L2501 vs B2601, they’re on a completely different level.

Mike

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You’re assessment of the L2501 is absurd.
I’m still trying to understand how you’re reaching your conclusions on the L2501’s performance.
It's an opinion. No, I haven't driven any L series machine. But I typically don't buy the lowest HP model of anything, and a tractor would be no different. I could have bought a B2301 and I didn't.

Based on information I've seen from people who have the L2501 and people who have higher HP L series, I see a few people saying "it bogs down pulling the mower up hills" or "it bogs down pulling my land plane in M (sure, you could run in L instead, but maybe you don't want to). The main reason I see people getting the L2501 is that they don't like emissions controls and the potential for problems. I don't see many people saying "I wouldn't want the 33HP". The same as everyone says you should buy a tractor that's big enough, you should also buy a tractor with enough HP. Yes, torque matters in some applications. In other applications HP matters. Personally, I think the same HP as a B2601 in a substantially larger tractor would be limiting.

Does it matter whether I think different to you? No. It's OK that we think different.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Speaking of the L2501 and bogging down, does anyone have experience with one and a BH on the back? Neil from Messicks said in one video the L2501 seemed to have a hard time moving around with the BH especially on hills.

To the OP, if I had a question between the B series and LX series and money wasn't an issue I would move up to the LX series and not look back. You don't want to be kicking yourself down the road regretting your purchase and how you can rectify it.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
1 acre of stumps is a task for almost any tractor! Especially when they are large and close together with roots intertwined or you cant dig all the way around them because something is in the way. Small stumps no problem. Large stumps upwards of 24-30 inches dont think because you have a back hoe you will just be able to grab the top of the stump pull and rip it right out! Only a large excavator will do that. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: 2 users

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Your tasks are big enough I would get the largest tractor in your budget. I went from a BX to a B2601 to now A L3302. The B could do everything I pretty much needed but with the hills on my property it was in 4wd all the time, even mowing with the finish or brush hog. With a big 3 pt the B was still very light in the front even with the bucket on. The B moved gravel fine but the L does it easier with the extra weight. Same with grapple work ect. I can still get the L through most of my trees to do work.

If you don't want an L I would go with the LX. For your type of work the size and weight will be your friend. Don't forget to get Rimguard in the rear tires for ballast. It will add more ballast on the LX due to the larger tire size too.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
What I have decided, when it comes to the amount of acreage, 1 acre, 3, acres, 5 acres, etc. are a lot of area when you have work that you need to do on them.

Yet, when you go to store stuff or build on the same acreage, it is never big enough.

Not sure how that acreage changes like that.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Speaking of the L2501 and bogging down, does anyone have experience with one and a BH on the back? Neil from Messicks said in one video the L2501 seemed to have a hard time moving around with the BH especially on hills.
I didn't see that video and don't have a backhoe.

I can say from my own use that I can move around very easily with a bucket full of gravel (approx 1000 lbs) and 850 lbs on the back. For the record, I also have loaded R4 tires. Btw, my house is at approximately 4300 ft.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
1 acre of stumps is a task for almost any tractor! Especially when they are large and close together with roots intertwined or you cant dig all the way around them because something is in the way. Small stumps no problem. Large stumps upwards of 24-30 inches dont think because you have a back hoe you will just be able to grab the top of the stump pull and rip it right out! Only a large excavator will do that. Just something to keep in mind.
Exactly right. I took time to dig them out one by one. I could have probably rented an excavator and got it all done in a week, but that weeks rental basically paid for my BH. Instead of taking a week off work with a rental, I was able to dig an hour here and there after work at my leisure and get it all done eventually. If you are clearing for a build site and time is a factor, digging with a compact tractor's BH is not the way to go. If you have time and don't mind chipping away at the project, having your own BH is very convenient and can be more cost effective in the long run.

Reactions: 3 users