Cold Weather Starting

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
It has been quite cold in SE IN these past couple of days, and I have needed to use both of my smallest Kubota tractors, both of which are set up for snow removal in winter months, for such duties.

The B1750HSD, bought new in 1994, has never failed to start, now or previously, though it has sometimes protested. The 2018 B3350 has also never failed to start, though it protests more so than the 1993/4 1750. I have never needed hair dryers, etc., but do keep an old one nearby.

FWIW: I NEVER use ether but do keep good, well-charged batteries. I also add anti-gel additives to fuel tanks in the fall months such that the anti-gel is well into filters, pumps, etc., before cold weather sets in. On occasion, if conditions indicate, I plug maintainers onto batteries 12+ hours before anticipated starting times.

Both tractors are mechanically injected though there are about 25 years between build dates.

I have started the B1750 (without ether or hair dryer) well below 0 but doubt that the 25 year newer B3350 would do so. Both tractors will start on 1 or 2 cylinders after long periods of glow plug warming but the 3 cylinder 1750 is much more likely to pick up and run without giving up, than is the 3350. Yesterday, it took 3 efforts to get the 3350 running on all cylinders at 0 ambient, whereas the nearly 30 year old 1750 required only one such effort. Fortunately, the battery in the 3350 had sufficient capacity to recrank the 3350 twice. Rather annoying for nearly 30 years of progress.

Despite the "lifetime emissions" warranty on my 2018 B3350, and no emissions issues after the reformer, DPF, etc., was replaced upon last trip to the dealer, I may well replace it with the forthcoming LX4020 with electronic FI.

That said, I am not convinced that either my M9960 or L6060 (both not set up for snow removal and rarely if ever started outside of mowing season) would have started yesterday despite electronic FI because, both are showing signs of needing battery replacement due to pre-sale negligence.

Interested to hear similar such cold weather starting experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
My experience with my late model B7100 hst really imprinted on my gray matter how important having a good battery was to cold weather starting.
I would have to get my torpedo heater set up and blow warm air around the engine when the temps dipped below 15 degrees F. After installing a new battery with the highest CCA that I could source a few years back I can start reliably to 0 degrees F or colder. In my experience it was all about the cranking rpm speed.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My experience with my late model B7100 hst really imprinted on my gray matter how important having a good battery was to cold weather starting.
I would have to get my torpedo heater set up and blow warm air around the engine when the temps dipped below 15 degrees F. After installing a new battery with the highest CCA that I could source a few years back I can start reliably to 0 degrees F or colder. In my experience it was all about the cranking rpm speed.
Bingo.

Cranking speed is imperative.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
In my experience, it is the CCA and good clean tight connections that make the difference. Another thing that many forget about and take for granted is the starter motor. Most think that if it turns when you put power to it, it must be good, however, starters are not engaged that often and not for that long, but they do need periodic servicing. The commutator on the armature will wear, and so will the brushes. If the tractor is old and the starter hasn't ever been serviced, then it should be done when you are not in need of the tractor for a day or two. Most times starters are only serviced when they stop working, and that is usually at the most inopportune time.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't have much to add other than the MX fired right up two mornings ago when it was -30F at the house. The block heater was plugged in over night and I add Stanadyne to all diesel fuel for all five diesel engines. The hydraulic oil pump didn't sound great at -30F, but after a couple of minutes it sounded a lot better.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I don't have much to add other than the MX fired right up two mornings ago when it was -30F at the house. The block heater was plugged in over night and I add Stanadyne to all diesel fuel for all five diesel engines. The hydraulic oil pump didn't sound great at -30F, but after a couple of minutes it sounded a lot better.
Despite the block heater, -30 is impressive absent intake air heat.

Might experience such as planning to relocate to Montana in the forseeable future.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
If it's convenient for where you park the tractors. I do this and it has worked well for the last 5 years or so for me.... I have a block heater that I plug into a Wi-Fi controlled plug. About an hour before I plan to go out to start the tractor I turn the plug on. I do that anytime is about +30f or Below. The the reason is that for about $0.02 of electric when the engine starts it's on all 3 cylinders and does none of the loud knocking that I'm sure is just wonderful on rings and bearings. Then I go shovel the walkway well the hydraulics warm up. Just a personal preference of mine too do that. The tractor (or the pickup for that matter) will start in cold weather but why best then up if you don't have to.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have a block heater that I plug into a Wi-Fi controlled plug.
I use a hot water heater controller which is designed to handle higher amperage circuits. I have it wired to two outlets and use the timer feature to turn on/off the outlets as needed. The controller has an off/timer/on option so it's no big deal to manually turn on the outlets if needed.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Consider adding a battery blanket ! Batteries are human too, HATE the cold...can easily lose 1/2 their power and slow spinning diesels generally to not start.
A warm battery will have the needed electrons to spin the crank AND heat the glow plugs, also they will recharge better.
Most outdoor timers have 2 receptacles...one for block heater, the other for, gee, the battery blanket !!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Battery blanket warmers are an item sold North of the border but are seldom seen in the eastern part of the US. I have never had a need for a battery heater, and the block heater is more than enough to get my diesel started.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
You can get small heating pads for plant growing that should work for a large battery.

There are ‘pipe heater’ thermostatic plugs that turn on at 32f and off at 40-something, for about $15. Im sure some are adjustable and have timer features or you could plug it into a $6 mechanical timer switch.

Lots of options!

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If it's convenient for where you park the tractors. I do this and it has worked well for the last 5 years or so for me.... I have a block heater that I plug into a Wi-Fi controlled plug. About an hour before I plan to go out to start the tractor I turn the plug on. I do that anytime is about +30f or Below. The the reason is that for about $0.02 of electric when the engine starts it's on all 3 cylinders and does none of the loud knocking that I'm sure is just wonderful on rings and bearings. Then I go shovel the walkway well the hydraulics warm up. Just a personal preference of mine too do that. The tractor (or the pickup for that matter) will start in cold weather but why best then up if you don't have to.
Yessir! Got a couple of them. One is doing Chrostmas lights and the truck block heater. I have the heater set to turn off after 3 hours.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
The 3 JD (Yanmar) tractors all started cold, shuddering, clattering, blue smoking and shaking with about 1/2 throttle and about 3 seconds on glow plugs. The B2601 starts more nearly like the Isuzu generator driver which starts with no smoke, no shudder, no clatter, 3 seconds on glow on the B and quite a pause (don't know how much is glow) on the Isuzu before starting. The 240D Benz started about like the JDs did for the 25 years we had it. The 220D had old style glow plugs that required about a 1/2 minute glow time but otherwise started like the 240D.

The VW TDI started like a gasoline engined car.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
It has been quite cold in SE IN these past couple of days, and I have needed to use both of my smallest Kubota tractors, both of which are set up for snow removal in winter months, for such duties.

The B1750HSD, bought new in 1994, has never failed to start, now or previously, though it has sometimes protested. The 2018 B3350 has also never failed to start, though it protests more so than the 1993/4 1750. I have never needed hair dryers, etc., but do keep an old one nearby.

FWIW: I NEVER use ether but do keep good, well-charged batteries. I also add anti-gel additives to fuel tanks in the fall months such that the anti-gel is well into filters, pumps, etc., before cold weather sets in. On occasion, if conditions indicate, I plug maintainers onto batteries 12+ hours before anticipated starting times.

Both tractors are mechanically injected though there are about 25 years between build dates.

I have started the B1750 (without ether or hair dryer) well below 0 but doubt that the 25 year newer B3350 would do so. Both tractors will start on 1 or 2 cylinders after long periods of glow plug warming but the 3 cylinder 1750 is much more likely to pick up and run without giving up, than is the 3350. Yesterday, it took 3 efforts to get the 3350 running on all cylinders at 0 ambient, whereas the nearly 30 year old 1750 required only one such effort. Fortunately, the battery in the 3350 had sufficient capacity to recrank the 3350 twice. Rather annoying for nearly 30 years of progress.

Despite the "lifetime emissions" warranty on my 2018 B3350, and no emissions issues after the reformer, DPF, etc., was replaced upon last trip to the dealer, I may well replace it with the forthcoming LX4020 with electronic FI.

That said, I am not convinced that either my M9960 or L6060 (both not set up for snow removal and rarely if ever started outside of mowing season) would have started yesterday despite electronic FI because, both are showing signs of needing battery replacement due to pre-sale negligence.

Interested to hear similar such cold weather starting experiences.
"I have started the B1750 (without ether or hair dryer) ...."

I hope you don't ever plan to use ether or starting fluid to start you relatively modern tractors. It's a good way to break rings or the piston lands. I am not a big fan of glow plugs but our old M4500 has them. I installed a block heater on it as soon as I bought it 2280 hrs five years ago. Two hours of block heat a 0°F and it starts like it does when it's warmed up in the summer. All our tractors have block heaters and they started great in all kinds of Montana weather when we lived there. Likewise now that we live in the Idaho Palouse. I recommend block heaters for anyone with a diesel engine and living in cold country. The next investment would be a battery warmer, but the reduction in oil viscosity and the resulting lower starting torque requirement has not made that necessary. You might consider adding block heater, if they are available for your tractors. That and a timer on the power supply or a Wifi outlet to allow remote activation of the block heater will alleviate a lot of cold weather starting issues. You are doing a great job with winter fuel management.

Just my $0.02!

ffffox2

Equipment
B2650
Dec 25, 2022
Newfoundland
I live in Northern Canada, average winter temp is -20 c ( and quite often - 40 or more) I install a
block heater and changed the oil to a quality synthetic winter grade as soon as I got it. Two years and no problem starting yet ( I do put summer grade back in for the summer ) Never use any kind of starting fluids!!

Corban

Equipment
B7100 HST
Dec 24, 2022
Connecticut
Bloc
Block heater .
Got a lower radiator heater on mine it starts at any cold weather with ease.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Here in San Antonio the coldest ive ever started a tractor was about 21f just a couple of days ago. My little B6100 cranked a little slower but didnt take much glow plug. Any time the cranking is slow i pull the compression release and let it spin up to full speed and then close it. Ive got a, uhh sufficient amount of engine starting trickery/experience as a career auto tech but im more concerned about the ‘non-engine’ hydraulic systems. My 6100 has a ‘manual diverter’ aka ball valve teed off the loader hydraulics to some quick disconnects at the back for my trencher, but when nothing’s connected if you turn the valve it just deadheads the loader pump (so i dont do it!). But if you turn it part way you can ‘dial in’ some restriction and put some heat into the fluid that way, so that’s what i did this morning. Just turned the ball valve enough to load up the system a little, and within about two minutes of idling like that it was normal and ready to use. A better solution would be a better fluid in the first place, but honestly.. that might be the only below-freezing start for this whole year and it may not see another one for a whole year so ill provably just do nothing!

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I would not use starter fluid in anything that you use preheating glow plugs. Glow plugs will ignite starter fluid and could cause engine damage. Engines that do use a preheating should be able to use starter fluid. Good battery, diesel anti-gel and some sort of heating on the block during extreme cold temps start help in starting. I use Howes Diesel Treat year-round and battery tender in cold temps.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota

Do you run #2 diesel at those temps? I run #1 and Stanadyne. I put some #2 in pickle jars with different amounts of Power Service winter/white bottle and they were all as cloudy as straight #2 at around +5 F. I assume Stanadyne is better, but have never tested.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
B2601 so far has started well down to 10-15F, I haven't had the need to start when colder than that. BUT I still need to install the block heater once I get power in my outbuilding. I usually give it a 3-5count on the glow plugs then fire it up and give it a little throttle above idle and give it a few mins.

Admittedly, I do move it slowly only a couple mins into warming up however as this winter the tractor blocks my truck when it is parked inside......so I have a bad habit of moving the tractor 20' while it is "warming".......If I plan on using the hydraulics for anything other than a slow speed move of the transmission I give it a full 15mins or so........