Cold Weather Starting

North Fork

Equipment
M9000 tractor
Dec 5, 2022
North Idaho
I have a 1999 M9000 with about 1800 hrs. I am the second owner and the previous owner told me during cold weather, the engine would shut off if the oil pressure light stayed on too long. Sure enough, tractor will start fine , run for a bit, 20 seconds maybe and shut down if the oil pressure light is still on. On the second start, the OP light goes off and tractor runs fine. Water separator & fuel filter has been changed, diesel supplement added. Dealer service Mgr says no connection between oil pressure light and shut off. Is this truly a safety precaution or do I have something going bad. Thanks

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
How long are you using the glow plugs? Do you have a block heater?

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I have a 1999 M9000 with about 1800 hrs. I am the second owner and the previous owner told me during cold weather, the engine would shut off if the oil pressure light stayed on too long. Sure enough, tractor will start fine , run for a bit, 20 seconds maybe and shut down if the oil pressure light is still on. On the second start, the OP light goes off and tractor runs fine. Water separator & fuel filter has been changed, diesel supplement added. Dealer service Mgr says no connection between oil pressure light and shut off. Is this truly a safety precaution or do I have something going bad. Thanks
I don't know of any tractor that has an automatic low oil pressure shutdown capability.

Does your machine have glow plugs? If so, are ALL your glow plugs working? I would suspect they are not and the engine will fire off on a few cylinders and then die because it can't sustain itself. Some tractors have a heated intake as a cold starting aid. If you have one of those make sure it is working

I would recommend two things: 1)make sure all your glow plugs (assuming you have them) or you heated intake is working, and 2) consider installing a block heater to make cold starting easier still.

Reactions: 1 users

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
Care to define "cold weather"? My M6800 will start fine down to -10C or -15C, after that it will take two or three tries unless I have plugged in the block heater... at -30C it won't start without the block heater and I can't say I blame it.

Mountainhill

Equipment
l2501 (l3800 2013/22), Box Blade, post hole digger, Leon's rear blade
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just a question! I head an automotive expert suggest that a ‘battery heater’ can maintain the cranking power of the battery and may be a better alternative to a block heater? Can’t remember if was specific to Diesel engines.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, battery heater ( well 'warmer', a blanket that surrounds it) should ALWAYS be used if you use a block heater. A cold battery can lose 50% of it's energy and take a lot longer to recharge. A warm battery is a HAPPY battery ! More power means engine will turn over better, start sooner, more heat to glowplugs, etc.

Most 'timers' today have a 2nd outlet ,almost like they designed them for bloack heater and battery warmer. You need BOTH if in 'cold' weather'

Reactions: 1 user

Mountainhill

Equipment
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, battery heater ( well 'warmer', a blanket that surrounds it) should ALWAYS be used if you use a block heater. A cold battery can lose 50% of it's energy and take a lot longer to recharge. A warm battery is a HAPPY battery ! More power means engine will turn over better, start sooner, more heat to glowplugs, etc.

Most 'timers' today have a 2nd outlet ,almost like they designed them for bloack heater and battery warmer. You need BOTH if in 'cold' weather'

Mountainhill

Equipment
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
Great, I was just pricing a ‘battery warmer’ , for under $50, sounds like a worthwhile investment, Especially as things have just turned below freezing!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Unless someone has added a aftermarket low oil pressure sensor / interlock, there shouldn't be any correlation between running and the low oil pressure light, it would be purely random.

North Fork

Equipment
M9000 tractor
Dec 5, 2022
North Idaho
So thanks for all the replies. This is my first Kubota, an upgrade from a White Oliver 1265 with no cold weather starting functions. Had a meeting this AM so I will try to address all the comments.

Cold weather on a recent start was 20F.
I do have glow plugs but unsure if they all work properly. The Operator's Manual says about 5 seconds for temps in the 20's.
I do have a block heater and had it checked last year. Continuity was good so I'm pretty sure it works. However, I did not have it plugged in this last go around. Having described all above, the tractor starts immediately, just won't remain running.
As far as the battery, I learned mostly on older equipment and it was common to have some sort of drain to the electrical system. I added a master cutoff switch on the ground side so I can completely isolate the battery from anything electrical. Greatly improved the old Oliver and see no adverse affects on the Kubota.
The tractor came with a case of 15W40 oil, I used this for one summer oil change then switched to Rotella T4 10W-30 year around.

I will have the glow plugs checked. Would opening the throttle a bit more. The Manual says about 1/2 way and I have been reluctant to go that far as I always learned that higher RPMs on a cold engine could cause problems.

Thanks again.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
In my case I store the tractor in an unheated barn. But I have Wi-Fi out in the barn so I have a TP Link Wi-Fi controlled plug for the Kubota and another one for the F350. I always run the block heaters for at least 30-45 minutes before starting either of the diesels when it's under 30 Degrees. Not because they need it to start but because the engine will last longer if you minimize the cold starts. Also once you have oil pressure no harm in running the engine up to a fast idle 1400-1500 rpms to warm up.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
So thanks for all the replies. This is my first Kubota, an upgrade from a White Oliver 1265 with no cold weather starting functions. Had a meeting this AM so I will try to address all the comments.

Cold weather on a recent start was 20F.
I do have glow plugs but unsure if they all work properly. The Operator's Manual says about 5 seconds for temps in the 20's.
I do have a block heater and had it checked last year. Continuity was good so I'm pretty sure it works. However, I did not have it plugged in this last go around. Having described all above, the tractor starts immediately, just won't remain running.
As far as the battery, I learned mostly on older equipment and it was common to have some sort of drain to the electrical system. I added a master cutoff switch on the ground side so I can completely isolate the battery from anything electrical. Greatly improved the old Oliver and see no adverse affects on the Kubota.
The tractor came with a case of 15W40 oil, I used this for one summer oil change then switched to Rotella T4 10W-30 year around.

I will have the glow plugs checked. Would opening the throttle a bit more. The Manual says about 1/2 way and I have been reluctant to go that far as I always learned that higher RPMs on a cold engine could cause problems.

Thanks again.
If you have a block heater plug it in for a couple of hours before you want to use the tractor. If it's working, your engine will start like it's summer. Also check the glow plugs because odds are they are not all working.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I recall the M7040 at the refuge, it was mostly taken for granted. One cold morning it started and ran just long enough to get to the barn and died. We found the screen on the separator plugged with frozen sludge. It had actually collapsed the screen. We replaced the screen and filter, added some biocide and anti-gel and she fired right up.

Check your separator for pluggage and water/ice.