Clutch Squeal

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Last July I posted about power loss issues on my M6800 and with great help here traced the problem to be with the clutch free play. Made some adjustments to the clutch and the problem went away. All was well until tonight. At the time there appeared to be a couple of places clutch adjustments can be made. Loading a hay customer tonight and started hearing a high pitch squeal. At first thought it was brake related but then realized it is clutch related. Done a little research but wanted to get input from the forum. Think this issue is all tied together with the previous issue. When I engage clutch squeal happens- let off clutch squeal goes away. Thoughts? Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea If it was too tight before, then it might have stressed it enough that its failing now.
Plan for a spilt soon!

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I take it you don't want or are able to do your own work?
It's not that hard of a job to do.
Prices are always subject to the area and competent mechanical help.
This is not required work of a dealer, any good mechanic with ordinary tools can do it.
I can disassemble / replace / repair / and reassemble in a couple days.
If you would like the WSM with the disassembly and reassembly instructions just ask.
I would recommend replacing all the parts in there, Pressure plate, Clutch disk, pilot bearing, and throw-out bearing.
If you send me a PM with the tractors serial number and if it's a cabbed model or not, I can give you the part numbers and the approximate price of those parts.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Appreciate that and may take you up on that. Initially when I done the clutch adjustment in July it seems I remember there were multiple places adjustments could be made. My first adjustment worked so that was it. Now I was hoping another simple adjustment would take care of it. The noise just started this evening so I have not investigated to closely. I do not mind at all doing the work myself but most tractor splits I’ve researched looks pretty intense. I consider myself a YouTube mechanic. Lol But I like to save money. Also trying to figure out how to send a PM on the forum. 😁

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
To send a PM to me Just click on my name in orange and start a conversation. ;)

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
With the clutch depressed the two bearings under load are the throw out bearing and the pilot shaft bearing. With the clutch released there is no load on these bearings. It sounds like your issue is with one of these bearings.

Reactions: 1 users

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Thanks - another concern in the meantime- I have more hay customers coming today and the tractor is my only option to load - what would you do? The squeal is a warning I take it. Since the clutch adjustment in July was my first involvement with the problem just because I performed the adjustment and the power problem went away doesn’t necessarily mean I adjusted it correctly. Maybe there was a better way to adjust it? Lots of questions.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
With the clutch depressed the two bearings under load are the throw out bearing and the pilot shaft bearing. With the clutch released there is no load on these bearings. It sounds like your issue is with one of these bearings.
I take it by pointing to these 2 bearings you are agreeing with a tractor split?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
X2 on possible faulty throw-out &/or pilot brg. which will require tractor to be split to repair as other members have stated.

It would be interesting to know what other traction clutch pedal adjustments are discussed in WSM besides clutch control pedal free travel.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Don't know the tractor, but know the 'squeal'.
It's probably the throw out bearing and as NIW says times to split and replace the clutch pack and bearings.
Not a 'difficult' job but get a quote from dealer 1st. It'll have breakdown of parts and labour. if you do it, you save on the labour cost BUT may take 2-3 times longer. Can you afford to have the tractor down for ,say 3 days ? That's if it doesn't have a cab on it ! Getting a cab off could take a long day even WITH some form of overhead crane, others will know.
To split a tractor, you really need a concrete floor,several SOLID blocks of wood,good lighting and 2 'cranes or floor jacks. I have an 8inch Ibeam and two trolleys with chain hoists, made the job easy ,1/2 day adventure. Having a second pair of hands helps and take LOTS of pictures during the process otherwise you lose an hour or two wondering HOW did this piece come off ????
For sure, get the quote..with a TIME. If they can do the job and get the tractor back within a week ,it could be money well spent. Others here, like NIW probably know the 'shop time and labour rates', parts prices are online.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Don't know the tractor, but know the 'squeal'.
It's probably the throw out bearing and as NIW says times to split and replace the clutch pack and bearings.
Not a 'difficult' job but get a quote from dealer 1st. It'll have breakdown of parts and labour. if you do it, you save on the labour cost BUT may take 2-3 times longer. Can you afford to have the tractor down for ,say 3 days ? That's if it doesn't have a cab on it ! Getting a cab off could take a long day even WITH some form of overhead crane, others will know.
To split a tractor, you really need a concrete floor,several SOLID blocks of wood,good lighting and 2 'cranes or floor jacks. I have an 8inch Ibeam and two trolleys with chain hoists, made the job easy ,1/2 day adventure. Having a second pair of hands helps and take LOTS of pictures during the process otherwise you lose an hour or two wondering HOW did this piece come off ????
For sure, get the quote..with a TIME. If they can do the job and get the tractor back within a week ,it could be money well spent. Others here, like NIW probably know the 'shop time and labour rates', parts prices are online.
Thanks for the input. A unheated dirt floor barn would be the location if I done the split and a number of items you mentioned I do not have (hoist) and my tractor does have a cab. Seems a little overwhelming at the moment. Appreciate all the input as I weigh my options on how to proceed. It has really been a good tractor and my first and only large farm tractor - or hobby farm tractor - have several Kubota mowers.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
Thanks - another concern in the meantime- I have more hay customers coming today and the tractor is my only option to load - what would you do? The squeal is a warning I take it. Since the clutch adjustment in July was my first involvement with the problem just because I performed the adjustment and the power problem went away doesn’t necessarily mean I adjusted it correctly. Maybe there was a better way to adjust it? Lots of questions.
I would think you'd be ok. I'd pay attention to the noise and if it gets worse you might reconsider.

If the pilot bearing or throw out bearing fails completely you won't be able to disengage the clutch.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
After further investigation, it seems like the clutch does not have play in it again feels very tight. I will try adjusting it again and see what happens. Not sure how that works and tightens up again?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the input. A unheated dirt floor barn would be the location if I done the split and a number of items you mentioned I do not have (hoist) and my tractor does have a cab. Seems a little overwhelming at the moment. Appreciate all the input as I weigh my options on how to proceed. It has really been a good tractor and my first and only large farm tractor - or hobby farm tractor - have several Kubota mowers.
From backround information presented here.....If it becomes necessary....do not attempt to split yourself!

MountainMeadows

Equipment
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
After further investigation, it seems like the clutch does not have play in it again feels very tight. I will try adjusting it again and see what happens. Not sure how that works and tightens up again?
As the clutch plate wears and gets thinner the pressure plate fingers extend closer to the throw out bearing eliminating the free play that is needed.

Once they contact the throw out bearing the bearing will be turning at all times and if it's making noise it's lacking in lube or worn out from turning constantly.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Update: I have an appointment in 3 weeks to take my M6800 tractor in to have it split and the clutch replaced. Hopefully I will be back in business in 5-6 weeks. Currently I have to take the tractor out of gear just to get it started. Appreciate all the info and input!

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Well I got a call today from the mechanic that my M6800 clutch replacement was completed and everything to do with the clutch went good. BUT the only thing left to do is recharge the AC system and that’s where a hiccup occurred. His fittings to add Freon is not matching what is on the tractor and is puzzled and trying to figure out if there is an adapter needed. So I am asking for input to solve this dilemma? Thanks!