Clutch help

dannyboyski

Equipment
Kubota b1400 with loader
Jul 26, 2021
Uk
The clutch on my kubota is on the way out. I’ve only had the tractor 6 months.
It won’t drive in any of the high range gears anymore. It does move in low range a bit but doesn’t like to do much work before the clutch slips.
I notice there isn’t much free play in the pedal. I know spec calls for 1” of free travel. (I can’t actually adjust the pedal because the front loader brackets are in the way.)

the tractor only has 700 hours on the clock. is it wishful thinking that it might just need an adjustment to the pedal…?

if i split the tractor can anyone advise which parts should be replaced while I’m in there:

clutch disk
Pressure plate
Throw out bearing
Clutch housing gasket
Pilot bearing?

Many thanks in advance.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don't begin to separate until you have experimented with all adjustments. If/when you separate replace all the components you listed, then you'll be good for a long time. In 700 hours a clutch should not be slipping unless it's been mis-adjusted and slipping all that time.

Reactions: 2 users

dannyboyski

Equipment
Kubota b1400 with loader
Jul 26, 2021
Uk
Don't begin to separate until you have experimented with all adjustments. If/when you separate replace all the components you listed, then you'll be good for a long time. In 700 hours a clutch should not be slipping unless it's been mis-adjusted and slipping all that time.
Away for Easter at the moment but when I get back I’ll remove the loader arms and have a fiddle. I think It’s fair to say the clutch hasn’t been adjusted since the loader was fitted by the previous owner if ever at all.

Assuming the clutch pedal was badly adjusted and the throw out bearing is not properly engaging. Surely that will mean there is some meat left on the clutch which once adjusted should be sound.. (wishful thinking perhaps)

when I last crawled underneath and looked up around the clutch area. I get a view of the throw out bearing and spring. I noted that when the clutch is released the spring on the throw out bearing is fully released. In my head I thought that meant it was adjusted ok. I’ll try and grab some pics.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
A poorly adjusted clutch can indeed cause slipping. If left that way it can also cause the clutch to wear out prematurely. If unsure where and how to adjust free play get some help from a friend, neighbor, or a mechanic. Unless you're equipped to do so you do NOT want to split the tractor.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A poorly adjusted clutch can indeed cause slipping. If left that way it can also cause the clutch to wear out prematurely. If unsure where and how to adjust free play get some help from a friend, neighbor, or a mechanic. Unless you're equipped to do so you do NOT want to split the tractor.
Splitting a CUT tractor is not all that scary.
I had never done anything like it, but with knowledgeable help from a friend, it was not an overwhelming task.
I would have not attempted it without knowledgeable support!
Mine was a Ford 1920 FEL, and if I had to, I think I could do it by myself. (I am 81 now though)

dannyboyski

Equipment
Kubota b1400 with loader
Jul 26, 2021
Uk
You’re right, I absolutely don’t want to split it. It’ll be a last resort. But I’m equipped enough to get it done. The clutch only started slipping a week ago. I’ll drop the loader brackets and try to adjust the present clutch before splitting the beast.

dannyboyski

Equipment
Kubota b1400 with loader
Jul 26, 2021
Uk
Thanks for all the replies: just an update to the thread. I dropped the loader bracket the other day and adjusted the clutch. A few turns on the shaft and I have a working clutch again for now at least. Is it normal to need to adjust the clutch as it wears? or is this an indication that its on its last legs?

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Normal to adjust for wear over time. If it needs adjustment frequently it indicates slipping clutch from a weak pressure plate or someone riding the clutch pedal (keep your foot off the pedal and eliminate that possibility)

Glad you got it fixed

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Another cause of slipping clutch plate can be oil leaking from the crank seal and saturating the friction material.

There is probably a plug in the bottom of the bell housing where the clutch is and you can remove it and see what comes out. Sometimes the plug has a hole with a pin to allow liquid to drain so you’re going to have to see what that looks like.

This would normally have to be a clutch replacement

dannyboyski

Equipment
Kubota b1400 with loader
Jul 26, 2021
Uk
Another cause of slipping clutch plate can be oil leaking from the crank seal and saturating the friction material.

There is probably a plug in the bottom of the bell housing where the clutch is and you can remove it and see what comes out. Sometimes the plug has a hole with a pin to allow liquid to drain so you’re going to have to see what that looks like.

This would normally have to be a clutch replacement
Thanks Russell, Yes ive been in the inspection bolt on the clutch housing. no fluids, no excessive dust. Having already squeezed 5mm out of the travel on the pedal. I think I'm reluctantly approaching splitting territory.