Clicks but won’t start

SGrado

Equipment
L3301F
Nov 20, 2022
Texas
My L3301F clicks when I turn the key but it won’t turn the starter to start the tractor. Have checked seat sensor switch and others, etc. New battery too. I suspect problem is with solenoid but how do I test? Also have been reading about after market Starter Relay Kit as a solution.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
The way their wired the slightest issue inline to the solenoid is gonna cause this. Check voltage at the solenoid when you turn the key. Odds are you will find it only at 9 volts maybe less. Had this issue and tried going through all the switches and wiring I could find and gave up. Simply added a helper relay no more issues now

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
An L3301 will not need a Starter relay fix, it's a quite adequately designed system.
You have a PTO/ Clutch/ Seat/ Or HST pedal switch engaged or bad.
That is an electronic tractor, DO NOT go messing with the electrical if you don't know the system.
Messing with it, even with a simple test light can cause you some real expensive issues.
Move all levers and peddles to make sure they are all in the disengaged position.
If that doesn't work, get the WSM and if you still don't understand the troubleshooting instructions in the WSM, take it to a dealer!

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
If the click is coming from the starter solenoid itself, your problem is likely pretty simple. Are you able to have someone put their hand or some kind of improvised stethoscope on the starter solenoid while someone else turns the key to acertain whether it’s the source of the click?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My L3301F clicks when I turn the key but it won’t turn the starter to start the tractor. Have checked seat sensor switch and others, etc. New battery too. I suspect problem is with solenoid but how do I test? Also have been reading about after market Starter Relay Kit as a solution.
Please post photos of the top of your battery and where the ground cable connects to the tractor frame.
Many problems like you describe can be visually diagnosed with this info.
Follow Wolfman's advice but in the meantime post the photos.
Since, as a new member you cannot post photos, I will send you a private message containing my email.
Send the photos to me.
Look for the envelope symbol at the top right of most pages.
Dave

SGrado

Equipment
L3301F
Nov 20, 2022
Texas
The way their wired the slightest issue inline to the solenoid is gonna cause this. Check voltage at the solenoid when you turn the key. Odds are you will find it only at 9 volts maybe less. Had this issue and tried going through all the switches and wiring I could find and gave up. Simply added a helper relay no more issues now
Thanks. I am still considering adding this starter kit relay. Every source I read keeps bringing it up as a solution. But still make sure before I go messing with the electrical on this tractor.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks. I will check it out.
I looked over the photos you emailed me and your connections are in terrible condition and could well explain why you cannot get her started.
This is a critical one;

forum L3901 cables.jpg

Every single battery cable joint needs to be opened, heavily wire brushed, corroded bolts replaced, frame touched with an angle grinder to get to shiny bare metal. There is a couple of hours of work. Then your tractor will start like new.

If you are not used to doing this ask a friend or neighbor, call a mobile mechanic. The costs will justbe labor and few parts.

Dave

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Don't waste your time trying to clean that cable, buy a new one. What you don't see is the corrosion eating from the inside out in that cable. The end of the cable is exposed to water, water wicks into the core, corrosion starts, and never stops.....
I've seen it wick over 120' (yes feet ) in a communications cable I used 3 decade ago.