Cleaning a diesel storage fuel tank

Glenn S

Equipment
RTVX900, NH Boomer 50, Cub Cadet TRS, JD 350C, IH 584 and attachments
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
Hello everyone, I am planning on buying a fuel tank to store gasoline. I found a good one that has had diesel in it. Would it be a big issue to clean this tank to store gasoline? I was thinking that I would just drain the diesel out and flush it with water and detergent and let it dry out.
Has anyone done this before? Am I asking for trouble?
Thanks.
Glenn

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I little bit of diesel in a gas engine will not hurt anything - I would be scared of the detergent and the water in the tank.

How big is this tank?

I think I would find out how "dirty" the tank is inside first - then decide how to approach.

You plan on a filter on the outside as you use the gas?

Glenn S

Equipment
RTVX900, NH Boomer 50, Cub Cadet TRS, JD 350C, IH 584 and attachments
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
I little bit of diesel in a gas engine will not hurt anything - I would be scared of the detergent and the water in the tank.

How big is this tank?

I think I would find out how "dirty" the tank is inside first - then decide how to approach.

You plan on a filter on the outside as you use the gas?
It's a 300 gal metal tank on a stand, I "guessing" it's clean in that they are using it. I did not think of a filter but that's prob a very good idea. Why would detergent and water scare you, if it's all drained out. Thanks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Hokie is giving good advice. A little bit of diesel is no different than adding Marvel Mystery Oil or “Bardahl Top Cylinder Lube” or many other “snake oil” additives to gasoline.

If you want to “wash out” the diesel... pour a couple gallons of gasoline in the tank...slosh it around...pour it out onto the trash you’re gonna burn.... and Stand Back when you light it. (Gas fumes settle down and spread out...you’ll likely find yourself standing in a lake of flames.)

But the tank will be ready for gasoline storage. (And a big YES on the filter.)

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There are lots of things that can grow in a diesel tank. Depending on it’s age, it could also have sludge buildup from years. It is possible to clean a tank though.

As far as storing gasoline goes, any amount “can” explode, but I think it’s pretty unlikely.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yup, chances are very good that you have some algae build up so flush with whatever you choose to remove it. If with gasoline a bit of residual will not be a bother. If you are going to fill it with ethanol laced gasoline that will probably absorb any residual water. If you are going to fill it with non-ethanol gasoline, then do the best that you can to remove any residual water. Your pump pickup tube will probably be at least an inch+ off of the bottom and should not pick up whatever is left in the tank.

We kept both farm and road gasoline in 300 gallon above ground tanks for years with no issues, but of course none of us smoked either.