Cinder blocks on a box blade

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
My goal is to have 1000lbs on the 3 point for a rear ballast. I could build a box to fit on top of my box blade. 18 blocks (the compact, non cavity type) would give me a little over 1000 lbs total.

My concern is if the box blade can safely support that much weight. Will it overload the category 1 mounting points? It's a 5 ft King Kutter professional grade so it's built a little sturdier than their standard blade.

My reasoning is two fold. First of all, it'll be even cheaper than building something like a cement filled 55 gallon drum since I already have most of the materials. Secondly, a 1000 lb box blade would destroy just about anything in its path.

I'll be running it on an MX5200. Thoughts?

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I also have a 5' KK BB that I keep my 26 gal sprayer on. I have never had any problem lifting 1,000 lbs with my 3 pt and yours is rated much higher than mine.

The KK BB seems to support the weight just fine. Now I am not sure what would happen if the BB got caught on a non-movable object.

Last edited:

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
I also have a 5' KK BB that I keep my 26 gal sprayer on. I have never had any problem lifting 1,000 lbs with my 3 pt and yours is rated much higher than mine.

The KK BB seems to support the weight just fine. Now I am not sure what would happen if the BB got caught on a non-movable object.
Right, I'm not worried about the 3 point lift capacity which is 2,310 lbs. I'm worried about damaging my box blade.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Right, I'm not worried about the 3 point lift capacity which is 2,310 lbs. I'm worried about damaging my box blade.
You probably should be. Box blades are designed to work with their own weight.
A "little extra" weight shouldn't be an issue. I suspect you could bend or even break some of the BB's components with too much weight.
If it's just weight you want why not build the ballast? If the box blade isn't doing what you want then maybe it's the wrong implement for your purposes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Should be able to handle it fine, if your really worried upgrade the pins to Cat II pins. ;)

But like others have said, damaging the box blade from use is quite possible, you really shouldn't need any added weight for the box blade to work properly.

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
So your planning on using the rear blade with the 1000 lbs on it to scrape. Or just use it as ballast ?
Either way. It would work I guess. You have a big tractor and if the blade hooks onto a rock or rebar or retaining wall. The tractor wins the blade loses.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
It can handle it.
I welded a hitch to the rear of my box blade and added extra supports.
I use a cargo hauler that goes into a hitch rated to haul $500 pounds and I put 500 pounds on it. Total weight is about 850 pounds.
I put that on my Kubota L2501 and the box blade will eat anything in its way.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
My goal is to have 1000lbs on the 3 point for a rear ballast. I could build a box to fit on top of my box blade. 18 blocks (the compact, non cavity type) would give me a little over 1000 lbs total.

My concern is if the box blade can safely support that much weight. Will it overload the category 1 mounting points? It's a 5 ft King Kutter professional grade so it's built a little sturdier than their standard blade.

My reasoning is two fold. First of all, it'll be even cheaper than building something like a cement filled 55 gallon drum since I already have most of the materials. Secondly, a 1000 lb box blade would destroy just about anything in its path.

I'll be running it on an MX5200. Thoughts?
Or you could let the ground soften up a bit after a rain and probably get away with the BB by itself. If anything, start with much less weight at first and see how it goes. 250#, then 500#, and so on. You could also weld on some wheels to give it support at the rear.