Chipper shuts BX23 Down!

Bugs

Equipment
2005 BX23 FEL-BH-SB
Jul 14, 2011
NH
Purchased a used Bearcat chipper and installed it onto our BX23. All hooked up and into the woods we go to try it out! Crank up the RPM's, engage the PTO and success. Chipper is alive. :D I get off the seat to give it a try and the machine shuts down. :( Back on, start it up, engage PTO, put in neutral, brake on, get off, still shuts down. :confused: The only way to try the chipper was to have my wife sit in the seat! Is there something I am doing wrong? :(

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Short answer - yes. And you know what it is. A concrete block in the seat may be enough weight to activate the safety switch. It is not the chipper that shuts down the tractor.

>Some tractors will keep running if the seat is folded forward.
>On others you just have to unplug the safety switch on the bottom of the seat.
>Still on others, you have to put a jumper wire between a couple of the leads on the plug that goes to the seat.

I don't own your model so maybe someone else has the best way to bypass the switch.

My BX2200 works with the seat switch unplugged and the PTO engaged for use with a chipper.

gerald pitts

Equipment
B 3200
Aug 2, 2011
emmett, idaho
My B3200 works the same way.....the safety switch under the seat is activated by weight in the seat.......no weight......no pto drive. It's easy to bypass the seat switch but keep in mind it was put there for a reason. I would check with your dealer to see if there is a "factory approved" method for using the PTO when not in the seat.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Can't get off the seat with PTO on, safety switch. Some models let you operate PTO if seat is tilted forward. Check your manual. If there's no lawyers around you could bypass the switch but that's not what I'm going to sugjest you to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahuummm if yours is like mine there is a lever on the left hand side with 3 pictures ,,, one is for the MMM,, one is for both MMM and rear PTO, and on is just for the PTO,,, perhaps you have it in the one for both,, push it to the rear PTO and LIFT THE SEAT,, if the seat is down it will shut off as you try to engage the PTO,,, hummm sounds like the OL,,, LIFT THE SEAT,,,lol

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
On my BX24 you have to turn the seat around to the BH position. I will get my manual out to get you the proper procedure to make it happen the Kubota way.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Purchased a used Bearcat chipper and installed it onto our BX23. All hooked up and into the woods we go to try it out! Crank up the RPM's, engage the PTO and success. Chipper is alive. :D I get off the seat to give it a try and the machine shuts down. :( Back on, start it up, engage PTO, put in neutral, brake on, get off, still shuts down. :confused: The only way to try the chipper was to have my wife sit in the seat! Is there something I am doing wrong? :(
Hi on our bx2230 we simply connect the seat belt and it puts enough pressure on the seat to bypass the switch.

Bugs

Equipment
2005 BX23 FEL-BH-SB
Jul 14, 2011
NH
Will give all suggestions a try this evening and report back with the results!
Thanx to all. :)

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Here is what my BX24 manual says

Stationary PTO (Rear PTO)
1) Apply parking brake and block tires.
2) place all levers in NEUTRAL. Start the engine.
3) Set the PTO shift lever to engage "ON".
4) Set the engine speed to provide the recomended rear PTO speed.
5) Unlock the seat lever and stand up and raise the seat.
6) Turn around the seat rearward and lock the seat in the backhoe position.

Hope this helps

Bugs

Equipment
2005 BX23 FEL-BH-SB
Jul 14, 2011
NH
Ok, last night I tried the suggestions before my last post. The one that worked was to get the PTO running while I was in the seat, get up keeping pressure on the seat, turn around and put pressure on the seat with my knee and buckle the seat belt to hold the seat down. Viola, get off tractor and use chipper. :D

Will try Kubota Man's suggestion next, but that sounds like a lot of motions to go through!

Thanx to all!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Did you try lifting the seat? and making sure which position the PTO lever was in?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you mean the seat release ,yes it is on the left side, and I went and checked again just to make sure I didn't mess up.
In either of the MMM or the MMM and Rear PTO positions, mine shuts off as soon as you engage the PTO
While in the Rear PTO position as long as the seat is flipped up all the way, the PTO will engage if the seat is not flipped all the way forward it will shut down when you try to engage the PTO

Something comes to mind is yours a 50, 60, or 70 series tractor, I don't know if that makes any difference or not.
Maybe mines buggered up??

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Bugs if you have the owners manual on page 22 through 24 it explains all about the PTO
STATIONARY PTO
1 Apply the parking brake and place blocks at tires

2 Make sure all shift levers are in neutral start the engine

3 Set the PTO select lever to rear only
( when your sitting in the seat, the PTO select leaver is the outside one of the two on the left side,, the rear only position is all the way down toward the floor boards, the top one is for the MMM the middle one is for MMM and rear together,, you want it all the way down)
4 Dismount the seat and tilt up,,

5 Move the lever behind the side frame in the direction of the arrow( is on the left side) release the seat lock, and tilt the seat forward

6 Set the PTO clutch lever to engage ON

7 Set the engine speed to recommended PTO speed

That's right out of the owners manual on page 23, I hope this helps :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hey Bugs ya figure out whats going on with your chipper???

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Either he figured out what was going on or his lovely bride is sitting in the seat:D