Chipper Buying Help

C15TA

Equipment
170 Allis Chalmers , 580E Case & BX25D
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
The dealer phoned me today about a used Champion 3 inch chipper for $2000.00 to fit my BX25D. I had intended buying a new Wallenstein 3 inch in the spring.
My concern is the belt drive to speed up the blades on the Champion where the Wallenstein is direct PTO drive to the flywheel. The Wallenstein is $2700.00 new with warranty. The Champion belonged to an old guy that kept it nice and claims he only ever used it for softwood. I like the $700.00 saving but am I asking for trouble with the extra belt and pulleys?:confused:
Thanks,
Barry

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The Wallenstein is an excellent chipper, I was looking for a chipper for my BX and I was within a gnats ass of buying one from this company -

http://www.woodmaxx.com/WC_8N_PTO_Chipper_p/wc-8n.htm

as for the belts and pulleys, I would not worry too much about that, the pulleys are simply used to gear up or down the speed and should last a long while - and the belt, if a problem persists - getting another is no different than a water pump belt or any other belt. Take a 3" old stick with you and tell the dealer to hook it up, and let er rip - see what happens.

I found a 4" chipper (DR brand) used for about $600 - and it does a great job for what I need - 3" max, most are 1" branches.......

walter f

Jan 18, 2016
lunenburg nova scotia
3" chipper is pretty darn small,,,,, I had a Wallenstien which was well made but you pretty well had to feed it de limbed everything which is a ton of extra work, go up the next size and feed only smaller stuff so you don't bog your tractor and you will be way ahead imho,,,
Walter f

C15TA

Equipment
170 Allis Chalmers , 580E Case & BX25D
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
Thanks for the input guys. As Walter says the 3 inch chipper is small. Pretty well all the You Tube videos I watched this weekend showed delimbed stuff going through the chipper. I was trying to avoid that extra work. It would be difficult pushing 2 to 3 inch trees through that little 3X3 hole with all the limbs attached. I have a 170 Allis that is a lot bigger tractor so maybe a larger used chipper would be better. The Agri Ease and the Woodmax both look like they would be as good as the Wallenstein and a little cheaper. I will have to keep an eye out on Kijiji.
Thanks,
Barry