Plaistow
Hello,
I think I've settled on the build I want which is going to be:
  1. BX1880
  2. FEL with QA
  3. Bolt on Edge
  4. Filled Tires
  5. 50" front mount snowblower
  6. No Mowing deck (I have a dedicated mower)

I have two dealers in my state I'm talking with. One is an hour away and is quoting me $15,600 for this build delivered to my home. My math sees this at around a ~%10-11 discount off MSRP. (Builder comes in at 17,365 with no filled tires option which seems to be a ~$150 upcharge at some place)

The other dealer is literally 2 miles from my house. They quoted me a stupid high price initially that was hardly less than MSRP and when I came back with the second dealer's offer they came back at $16,620 delivered, which would additionally include:
  1. Extension on Tractor Warranty by 1 year
  2. Extension on Loader Warranty by 2 years
  3. Free pickup/Delivery for all warranty work

Do you guys think the warranty extensions, pickup/delivery for work (I dont own a trailer capable of moving the tractor myself) and relationship I'd be building with my local dealer is worth the $1000+ price difference here? I'm tempted to tell them to make it $16K even and I'll come down and sign the paperwork...

I am in the Northeast and I'm finding that 8-12% seems like a "good deal" around here compared to the claims of 13-15% people claim in other areas....

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I would say yes from my perspective, warranty extensions are usually pricey. But you could do a couple more things. Go there and drive the tractor you want and spend some time looking around, see if it looks like service techs are treated ok and that they have a decent inventory of parts. Second ask around your area to see if folks are happy with their service work. Close is better good service is better.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I would say yes from my perspective, warranty extensions are usually pricey. But you could do a couple more things. Go there and drive the tractor you want and spend some time looking around, see if it looks like service techs are treated ok and that they have a decent inventory of parts. Second ask around your area to see if folks are happy with their service work. Close is better good service is better.
The dealer near me seems quite large. Tons of machines on the property and a pretty huge showroom and service department. I get a sense their service is top notch but I must admit, on two occasions I left with a feeling of "I'm not worth their time" and that they cater to bigger ticket customers. The dealer further away had a much more "family" feel...I keep coming back to the fact that my home town dealer is so close I could literally drive my tractor to them and that having a lot of value but if the people there aren't going to cater to me, that value seems a lot less.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm a little torn on this one.

I have a small dealer a mile from work. Bought my BX from a friend that was a salesman for a large dealer 1+ hour away. I also have FEL, front snowblower, and MMM.

I buy all parts and service supplies from the small local guy.

My tractor hasn't been back since new 300 hours/5+ years ago. I do all my own service, and the very minimal repairs I've done.

If I had a bigger/more complicated machine or implements, I might be more concerned. But with the warranty long-expired, I guess it hasn't mattered.

Last edited:

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
I guess I see it differently. If your local dealer can't match the price he don't want your business, in my book. You know they are still making plenty of money on the deal. Thing is if ya get a tractor with troubles it may be worth the extra cash to buy closer. Then again if ya never need the dealer for anything after the sale, it's a big gamble. I'd take the chance and save the cash. If they don't take the 16000 offer.

Last edited:

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I guess I see it differently. If your local dealer can't match the price he don't want your business, in my book. You know they are still making plenty of money on the deal. Thing is if ya get a tractor with troubles it may be worth the extra cash to buy closer. Then again if ya never need the dealer for anything after the sale, it's a big gamble. I'd take the chance and save the cash. If they don't take the 16000 offer.
I think I may have arrived at an agreement with the local dealer. I'm really close now, and they can deliver a week earlier. Getting this last quote in writing then I may pull the trigger either way next week.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My local dealer(a family owned and staffed place) is 15 miles away and was $3000. more then the dealer in northern Maine 5 hours away. The northern Maine dealer delivered the machine to my door. No dealer stickers on it as he knew he'd never see it again. I took it to the 15 mile away dealer for 50 hr service and to replace the QA when the bucket mount came loose. At the 50 hr service the the service manger was writing out a work order and asked did you buy it here. I said no I bought it second hand.
But now that family dealership was bought out by MB tractor and have more inventory then ever. chainsaws and accessories and a lot of stuff the old dealer did not. I'm guessing in New Hampshire one of the dealers is MB tractor. And they own a lot of dealerships now. I'd think they would be have the cheapest price.

japollner

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 23, 2018
GREENFIELD
I would go with the one in Milford. ;)

And no, I am not affiliated with them, but I am buying my BX from there in a few weeks. They are top notch.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I would go with the one in Milford. ;)

And no, I am not affiliated with them, but I am buying my BX from there in a few weeks. They are top notch.
Right now they are getting my business. I physically went into MB a few days ago, requested a written quote and havent seen it yet. I'm not going to beg a company to give them my money and if a company wont even write up a price quote, I know what kind of service I can expect.

Milford called me back when I left them a VM and followed up with a written quote that arrived in my inbox 20 minutes after the phone conversation ended.

Sleeping on final #s and then pulling the trigger.

Here are my final numbers.....cant seem to find anyone who can do better show of Barlows and with shipping added, they are pretty close to this:

BX1880
FEL with Quick Attach
Bolt on Edge for loader
Filled Rear Tires
50" Front Snowblower plus required quick hitch
No mowing deck
$15,600 to my door (plus insurance)

Local guy was at 16,200 for this, Batrows was a couple hundred cheaper but with an indefinite delivery window...

Looks to be about 10% off....sounds good for the northeast.

shop

Aug 6, 2018
Eliot Maine USA
I just pulled the trigger on a BX 2380 from MB. Same deal as you. I live down the street from the dealer and will drive the tractor to the shop when needed. And both my wife and I felt exactly the same way as you about our importance to them. Anyone else have experience with MB?

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I just pulled the trigger on a BX 2380 from MB. Same deal as you. I live down the street from the dealer and will drive the tractor to the shop when needed. And both my wife and I felt exactly the same way as you about our importance to them. Anyone else have experience with MB?
I ended up going with Chappell in Milford. I really wanted to give MB my business but when I couldnt even get them to email me a price quote, I started majorly doubting how great my service would be regardless of location. Chappell was responsive, worked with me on price a bit, offered opinions on the package that made sense and they are coming at 3:00 tomorrow to deliver my tractor.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I get a sense their service is top notch but I must admit, on two occasions I left with a feeling of "I'm not worth their time" and that they cater to bigger ticket customers. The dealer further away had a much more "family" feel...I keep coming back to the fact that my home town dealer is so close I could literally drive my tractor to them and that having a lot of value but if the people there aren't going to cater to me, that value seems a lot less.
I felt the same "I'm not worth their time" experience from my local dealer and a better offer from a further dealer with a better attitude. Rather I went with my local dealer and hope that I didnt make a mistake.
Sounds like you made the right decision and look forward to hearing good reports from you.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I felt the same "I'm not worth their time" experience from my local dealer and a better offer from a further dealer with a better attitude. Rather I went with my local dealer and hope that I didnt make a mistake.
Sounds like you made the right decision and look forward to hearing good reports from you.
I think bottom line reality is that like a doctor that cures a nasty disease you shake their hand and say "Dont take this the wrong way but I hope I never see you ever again." I think that way about service of everything I buy in general.

My logic was that if as a small time buyer I wasnt worth their sales time, I'd be put right at the back of the service line behind whoever they were catering to on the sale side, as well. Why repair my little BX when contractor X with a $5M account just brought in his loader for service?

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when MB said that most of their "extra" services offered by being a local in town were null and void if I moved out of town. It all just added up for me to a point where my choice was made for me.

When you sit across the table from a "sales manager" and tell him you will literally sign on the dotted line that day and they can't even take the time to write up a quote, there is something seriously screwed up with your sales team or practices.

shop

Aug 6, 2018
Eliot Maine USA
My experience in Eliot wasn't as bad as yours has been. We bought a lawn mower 4 years ago. We went to this same dealer and got this same bad feeling. When we went to the John Deere dealer 10 miles away it was alot like your experience with Chappell. So we bought the John Deere. Both brands have solid reputations for reliability and I only use the dealers for major mechanical repairs so the Deere has never gone back to the shop. Hopefully we have this same experience with our new tractors.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
My experience in Eliot wasn't as bad as yours has been. We bought a lawn mower 4 years ago. We went to this same dealer and got this same bad feeling. When we went to the John Deere dealer 10 miles away it was alot like your experience with Chappell. So we bought the John Deere. Both brands have solid reputations for reliability and I only use the dealers for major mechanical repairs so the Deere has never gone back to the shop. Hopefully we have this same experience with our new tractors.
Yeah I shouldnt really be coming off so harsh...its not like I lost anything other than some of my time and effort. They demo'd the tractor, let me test drive it, took the time to walk me through it....just failed on the sales end and perhaps there was something I did or said in that process that pissed them off in some way. They did seem put off when I told them I knew I could get the package delivered from Barlows for $XXX but that I wanted to give them a chance as my local dealer. I got the sense people typically pay them whats on their price sheet and thats it.

Tractor is arriving at my house in about 4 hours. So excited!

hairtech

Aug 8, 2018
MA
Trying to buy a bx23s with 55" front snowblower for 2 months and 3 visits to MB. Can't get an actual quote either and no one cares to take my name or call me back. Just the printed sheet and add it up yourself. When I emailed for a quote- never got one.
One visit I had to listen to a story of how someone actually tried to get him to lower the price! Last visit I actually went to buy- no one would come out and talk to me. I too am torn because it is SO close but worried that when I come in with $27000 and no one cares-- my guess is they are not going to care after I spend the money either.

Next 2 closest dealers are 75 miles and 50 miles.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Trying to buy a bx23s with 55" front snowblower for 2 months and 3 visits to MB. Can't get an actual quote either and no one cares to take my name or call me back. Just the printed sheet and add it up yourself. When I emailed for a quote- never got one.
One visit I had to listen to a story of how someone actually tried to get him to lower the price! Last visit I actually went to buy- no one would come out and talk to me. I too am torn because it is SO close but worried that when I come in with $27000 and no one cares-- my guess is they are not going to care after I spend the money either.

When was your visit where he complained about someone lowering the price? I wonder if he was badmouthing me. They pulled the same "here's the price sheet...figure it out yourself." Made me wonder what value they thought they were offering me as a sales dealer...why wouldnt I just email Barlows and have them deliver if they arent even willing to talk about options, prices and such?

In all, a truly bizarre experience with them...one i've never experienced as a motivated cash-in-hand buyer before in my entire life.

hairtech

Aug 8, 2018
MA
When was your visit where he complained about someone lowering the price? I wonder if he was badmouthing me. They pulled the same "here's the price sheet...figure it out yourself." Made me wonder what value they thought they were offering me as a sales dealer...why wouldnt I just email Barlows and have them deliver if they arent even willing to talk about options, prices and such?

In all, a truly bizarre experience with them...one i've never experienced as a motivated cash-in-hand buyer before in my entire life.
It was middle/end of June and then again last week. I was hoping to have tractor for summer. Such a strange, strange feeling there....

I just need to give it up and go with either Chappell or Ahearn and be done with it.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ

I know service departments differ from sales, but if I had to work THAT hard to give a business my money, I can't say I'd trust much of what they do being in my best interest. Worth the drive elsewhere in the event of issues (hopefully rare). If you get stuck, you can still take it to that dealer. They already aren't giving you a "good relationship", so why frustrate yourself dealing with that crap. Save some money, go elsewhere and in a pinch use the local dealer to service it if the need arises. If you have the time, take it to the other dealers for peace of mind.