checking front axle oil level

LenPA

Equipment
l3901
Jan 2, 2022
Sayre,Pennsylvania,USA
I am new to Kubota and was checking the fluid level on my new l3901 ( 20 hours) FWD front axle and found it to be 2-3 quarts low. ( capacity is 4.8 qts.) Was wondering if I might of done damage? I was using the FWD to plow snow. It is almost fun to go out and clear the 300' driveway. The check and fill plugs still had the grey paint on them so I don't think the dealer checked them.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I doubt you did damage, yes that is one of the things they are suppose to check, amoung other thing, but seldom do. You want to check the fluid on a flat level spot. Now when you DO change the oil out inthe front end, and you will for, scheduled maintenance, fill it up then go run around a bit letting the oil get warm and then park it on a flat level spot let it cool down and check it again, then add what you need.

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
VERY COMMON problem... I would want to chew the owner of the dealership out. Reports of low oil in the front axle is way too common.

For what it's worth, the fill from the factory hydraulic oil... I personally, would drain that and add 75-95 gear oil instead. (it calls for either, I think)

I feel sorry for tractor owners that don't read these forums and never check the axle oil level.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I am new to Kubota and was checking the fluid level on my new l3901 ( 20 hours) FWD front axle and found it to be 2-3 quarts low. ( capacity is 4.8 qts.) Was wondering if I might of done damage? I was using the FWD to plow snow. It is almost fun to go out and clear the 300' driveway. The check and fill plugs still had the grey paint on them so I don't think the dealer checked them.
I doubt any damage done. This seems to be a frequent issue with new tractors. The dealers' service dept. should have a service check off list in your file. I would contact your dealer have them document it for future reference. I would suspect it was delivered with UDT. UDT is a thinner oil where gear oil is much thicker. Dip it and see. Not sure when your service is due to change the axle fluid, maybe 50 hrs., some are longer with the newer equipment. I did my front axle oil changes at 50 hrs. and replaced with 80w90. You will get different opinions on which fluid is best. Both are approved by Kubota last I knew, check your owner's manual. If you use the UDT use the newer UDT2. The Kubota dealer I worked at would replace the axle fluid with 80w90, unless customer wanted UDT. Most important is to keep the fluid level at the recommended level which ever fluid you decide to use. Don't over think it. If you decide on the thicker 80w90 be sure to to recheck after some use as it takes the 80w90 more time to distribute than the thinner UDT and check on level ground. My opinion, all gears in there, use gear oil.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I found mine low @ 50h this fall and documented it here. I learned that while UDT was likely the factory fill, but in my case, there was definitely some higher viscosity gear oil in there. While I don't know for a fact , I have many years smelling & changing dif.s on old cars and just done the HST fluid & filters. The conclusion was the dealer prob. topped it up with the heavier stuff.

Either way, it was still low after 50h of use and I used the UDT2 to top up so I probably have a mix. I ended up only down less than a quart but overfilled with the UDT2. FWIW mine took a while to equilibrate side to side and level out working in 40' garage even with the good flow of the UDT2.

Consensus here was don't overthink it and make sure the level is correct. I will prob do a full change to the gear oil sometime in the future but doesn't bug me now.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Did you check the top oil fill plug or the one halfway down the axle. I checked the top plug, reached my finger inside and couldn’t feel any oil. I called my dealer and was told the level should be even with the plug hole on the side of the axle and it couldn’t be felt from the filler plug. I was told not to fill the axle anymore because this would generate excess pressure and cause seals to leak.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Mine wasn't low, it was bone dry, from the factory, found it ~30 hrs, documented here and home with circles, arrrows, and color glossy photos. Called dealer, he said no worries, just fill it up it'll be fine. Documented that too.

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Did you check the top oil fill plug or the one halfway down the axle. I checked the top plug, reached my finger inside and couldn’t feel any oil. I called my dealer and was told the level should be even with the plug hole on the side of the axle and it couldn’t be felt from the filler plug. I was told not to fill the axle anymore because this would generate excess pressure and cause seals to leak.
Great point for the OP. One's a fill and one is a "check" level (it's the lower smaller one - diagram in your manual)

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Welcome to the club. It happened to me. I planned to check the axle fluid early on, and before I knew it, I had about 20 hours on the tractor. (I had checked everything else.) I finally checked it, and just my luck, no oil in the upper part of the axle assembly. I think I added around 3 quarts, like you. So, mine had about 1 1/2 qts plus or minus in it.

Kubota really needs to have some type of plastic flag on the fill plug saying something like, "Fill before use", which can be removed after filling. Yes, it should not be necessary, but there are too many stupid/lazy/incompetent people out there. It is really inexcusable for any dealer to have this happen, and it happens often. It was also inexcusable for me to trust that it would be filled when I received it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Whenever you add fluid to the front housing fill it to the fill hole, put the plug in and then let it set overnight. Next day remove the plug on the side and see if you need to add more oil. It takes a while for the oil to seep to the far side.

LenPA

Equipment
l3901
Jan 2, 2022
Sayre,Pennsylvania,USA
Yesterday I posted my front axle was 2-3 qts. low. I thought I would check the fluid level plug before trying to scrape some frozen snow this morning and found it to be 1 1/2 qts over. It is on level ground and I know the difference between the fluid level and fill plug. After running it this morning I checked again and it ok. Any thoughts?

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Yesterday I posted my front axle was 2-3 qts. low. I thought I would check the fluid level plug before trying to scrape some frozen snow this morning and found it to be 1 1/2 qts over. It is on level ground and I know the difference between the fluid level and fill plug. After running it this morning I checked again and it ok. Any thoughts?

You might have said but I am unclear if you topped it up before? I inferred that now you drained to the right level and confirmed when warm after use. Per above, it does take a long time to "equilibrate" level and I did this dance myself.

IMO you are good now. Maybe periodically check again to be sure.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I am confused. How did you determine the fill was 1.5 quarts high?

Did you drain the excess out and measure it?

After use, it is now at the proper level, correct? After draining out the excess?

If so, one more check next time should show the oil level is correct and you should be good to go from that point forward.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You might have said but I am unclear if you topped it up before? I inferred that now you drained to the right level and confirmed when warm after use. Per above, it does take a long time to "equilibrate" level and I did this dance myself.

IMO you are good now. Maybe periodically check again to be sure.
The service tech suggested to me that the easiest way to get this right is to park in a level spot and open the fill and level check plugs. Add fluid until it starts coming out of the lower hole. Then run the tractor until the fluid is warm and repeat.

LenPA

Equipment
l3901
Jan 2, 2022
Sayre,Pennsylvania,USA
I am confused. How did you determine the fill was 1.5 quarts high?

Did you drain the excess out and measure it?

After use, it is now at the proper level, correct? After draining out the excess?

If so, one more check next time should show the oil level is correct and you should be good to go from that point forward.
I did drain and measure it. I was going by the owners manual when I overfilled it. I wished it had said something about that it takes time for the fluid to migrate from the fill side to the check plug side of the axle. It is now at the proper level. Thanks all.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Good for you. What did you use, SUDT or 80w90? Learn by doing and asking questions.