Chains VS Industrial R4 tires

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you watch the video? He's just moving wood and discussing the results of telephone conversations he had with his local dealers. His local Deere dealer told him not to run front chains, while his Kioti dealer told him to "send it, Bub" in between hits of methamphetamine. So he is choosing to not run them as his machine is out of warranty. Nothing to rip on Kioti about.

Frankly though, since I've been using hybrid tires I've not had to use any chains.
Oh there is a ton to rip Kioti on!
I know your have one and that's fine and dandy for you.
But I digress...
My point was it's not a Kubota that he's dealing with or a Kubota dealer that he talked to!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No, but find a place that can help you get the right ones. I like the double ring duo style chains and will get a set for my L3010, but you're going to need to make sure you have clearance for them, or any others you put on there. The cool thing though is that any chains will be great in snow.
Joe
Double ring duo style chains are fine for AG or Industrial tires, But on Turf tires 2 link cleated bar chains put a lot more chain on the ground all the time.
And he would beat the living snot out of himself with that style of chain on a BX.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Double ring duo style chains are fine for AG or Industrial tires, But on Turf tires 2 link cleated bar chains put a lot more chain on the ground all the time.
And he would beat the living snot out of himself with that style of chain on a BX.
Absolutely!! Double ring would be an awful ride on turfs - 2-link all the way, and give good grip.

Doubt you could find double rings to fit a BX?

I run double rings on my old Moline. They’re fine on that with 12.4x38 tires, but still a bit bumpy…..

Last edited:

JoeR

Equipment
L3010 HST with Loader
Mar 7, 2023
Stokesdale, NC
I've never tried 2 link chain, but it sounds like I should give it a go. I've got double ring duo on my Ford 871D with Ag tires. They really do grab. Once I switched to them I never looked for anything else. This Kubota is my first tractor with turf tires. also my first 4WD tractor. Here in Greensboro, NC I can get Double Ring, Double Ring Duo and and Twist Link to fit mine. I would have gone for the Duos for sure.
Joe

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've never tried 2 link chain, but it sounds like I should give it a go. I've got double ring duo on my Ford 871D with Ag tires. They really do grab. Once I switched to them I never looked for anything else. This Kubota is my first tractor with turf tires. also my first 4WD tractor. Here in Greensboro, NC I can get Double Ring, Double Ring Duo and and Twist Link to fit mine. I would have gone for the Duos for sure.
Joe
Joe - the OP asking about chains has a BX model like mine. Pretty small compared to your L3010.

I think a lot of folks here get chains at www.tirechain.com or a similar outfit.

Will at least give you an idea of options. Never bought from them, but did look myself.

All a 2- link ladder chain means is that there are two outside links between the cross-links/stringers.

Cross links/stringers come in a variety of types.

4-link chains have the cross-links further apart. Makes ride more bumpy, and less effective in my opinion.

Tire size does impact that.

Good luck!!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Another option to consider is studding all four tires. Works great for ice and hard pack.

Chaining all four works better than chaining only the rears.

Reactions: 1 users

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
Another option to consider is studding all four tires. Works great for ice and hard pack.

Chaining all four works better than chaining only the rears.
I put over 1000 studs in my tractor tires this fall.
Almost all the studs in the front tires are gone.
Only a few came out of the rear tires. When the studs were all there they worked great on packed snow and ice.
I need to get a plan figured out before next winter. I have a couple of side hills to travel on and now the front just slides down hill.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Only a few came out of the rear tires. When the studs were all there they worked great on packed snow and ice.
I need to get a plan figured out before next winter. I have a couple of side hills to travel on and now the front just slides down hill.
Foam fill the front tires and then use much longer studs!
My L has them on the front.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
Foam fill the front tires and then use much longer studs!
My L has them on the front.
I thought about filling them with foam. The sales guy said it was not a good idea to fill them.
He said that it would cause front axle trouble.
When I know that we are done with the snow I will take the tires to the tire shop and get them filled.
Then restud them.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Wha kind did you use? I've done 2 winters and a summer so far and still haven't lost any. I only went with a single stud on each R4 rib on the center line of the tire. My thinking was to add more as the first set wears.

I used the Marrkey 6mmx20mm in the back and 6mmx18mm on the fronts