Chains VS Industrial R4 tires

ZipFunk

Equipment
2380, T1880
Sep 10, 2021
Canada
Hi guys,
I have a BX2380 with turf tires on it. Its great for the summer and most of the winter stuff I have to do.
I do find in certain snow and when I'm dragging the bucket doing the driveway the turf tires off less traction than I'd like.
I was looking at maybe buying chains (I'm not sure if I'd need them on all four tires or just the front or back two)

Would chains help the performance or should I just go to the industrial tread tires?
Clearly the price difference is significant

Thanks for any advice,

Andrew

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Chains on the rear tires. Keep the turfs.

If you go to R4's, you'll likely be putting chains on those as well.

Reactions: 4 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Buy good chains for the rear. I expect putting them on a BX is similar to me putting chains on my Polaris Ranger. In other words, not very hard. Do buy tensioners as well, or use bungies to keep the chains tight.

I have R4s on my L2501 with loaded tires. There aren't any tires that can match chains for traction especially on ice. You can literally see the impressions in the ice from the chains.

I have front chains, too. But, the problem with them is you have to watch and keep them extremely tight to keep from hanging up in your steering components. I find the front end still slides at times using the loader.

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
I put rear tire chains on my B7800s R4 tires and it made a big difference during the winter.
I don't dare put front tire chains on my tractor in fear I could damage the front gearing.
My Kubota dealer recommended only rear tire chains also.

You might want to read this before putting rear chains on your BX2380s turf tires.

And, This link discusses the potential problem of front tire chains.

Last edited:

ZipFunk

Equipment
2380, T1880
Sep 10, 2021
Canada
You might want to read this before putting chains on your BX2380s turf tires.

That's not something I'd want to have to deal with.
Sounds like I should just get used to sliding around in the winter.
Unless this is a rare occurrence and maybe user error? Do chains fall off and bind often?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Unless this is a rare occurrence and maybe user error? Do chains fall off and bind often?
A bit of sliding isn't that bad unless you can slide off your roads or regularly deal with ice.

I'd say chains coming off is user error. The loose links need to be dealt with (zipped tied/wired), and you need tension to keep them tight to not come loose.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Spacers and Chains for the rears, chains for the fronts.

Buy good 2 link ice chains.

I get a huge laugh at videos like that, another reason not to buy Kioti!
Yes that is NOT a Kubota that he's running, they are not built the same.

Reactions: 2 users

JoeR

Equipment
L3010 HST with Loader
Mar 7, 2023
Stokesdale, NC
Good chains, properly installed, don't move around or slide off the tires. For 20 years I lived in a lake effect snow area and used my tractors for plowing and snow blowing. I ran chains on all my tractors. They make a world of difference. As previously advised, don't put them on the front wheels, but don't hesitate to use them on the rears. They'll certainly scuff blacktop, and put a good beating on cement, but if you're not running on those, you'll love them.
Joe

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Spacers and Chains for the rears, chains for the fronts.

Buy good 2 link ice chains.
True - - spacers likely needed on rears also. 2-link chains are way to go.

I've always got by without spacers, but it is tight.

ZipFunk

Equipment
2380, T1880
Sep 10, 2021
Canada
Good chains, properly installed, don't move around or slide off the tires. For 20 years I lived in a lake effect snow area and used my tractors for plowing and snow blowing. I ran chains on all my tractors. They make a world of difference. As previously advised, don't put them on the front wheels, but don't hesitate to use them on the rears. They'll certainly scuff blacktop, and put a good beating on cement, but if you're not running on those, you'll love them.
Joe
Hi Joe,
Thanks for this. I only have a gravel driveway so no blacktop to wreck here.
Two questions...

I do park the tractor in the garage which has a cement floor. Would it be wise to throw down some cheap used plywood to park it on?

Do you have a brand of chains or are there Kubota chains? (probably a dumb question)

Andrew

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi Joe,
Thanks for this. I only have a gravel driveway so no blacktop to wreck here.
Two questions...

I do park the tractor in the garage which has a cement floor. Would it be wise to throw down some cheap used plywood to park it on?

Do you have a brand of chains or are there Kubota chains? (probably a dumb question)

Andrew
Rubber stall mats, not plywood!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Joe
Why not the fronts?
Curious why everyone thinks that they can't take it?

JoeR

Equipment
L3010 HST with Loader
Mar 7, 2023
Stokesdale, NC
Why not the fronts?
Speaking for only myself, I think it is as simple as this:
When you are in 4WD and have good traction, which happens at times even when things are slippery, you will get driveline bind on uneven ground or when turning. Driveline bind had to be relieved at the weakest link, which is virtually always the wheel with the least traction. When that happens, it's no harm-no foul.
If you end up in a situation where no wheel wants to slip you are beating up on the driveline, and might even break the weakest link. Not chaining the front wheels creates an imbalance in traction, ensuring that the front wheels will be the ones to relieve the driveline bind.
My 2 cents (actual street value).
Joe

Reactions: 3 users

JoeR

Equipment
L3010 HST with Loader
Mar 7, 2023
Stokesdale, NC
Rubber stall mats, not plywood!
That's a REALLY good idea! I've always used wood. Sometimes plywood. Sometimes planks. whatever was handy. I've got an old Rumely DoAll on steel wheels. The cleats on it are big and it makes short work of plywood, and tosses ramps out from under it like it's allergic to them :D. Those big rubber mats I see at Supply would probably work much better. Thanks for that!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's a REALLY good idea! I've always used wood. Sometimes plywood. Sometimes planks. whatever was handy. I've got an old Rumely DoAll on steel wheels. The cleats on it are big and it makes short work of plywood, and tosses ramps out from under it like it's allergic to them :D. Those big rubber mats I see at Supply would probably work much better. Thanks for that!
Other bonuses are they're water proof, they have good to great traction and are not as slippery as plywood if they get wet or freeze.

Pay a little more and get the super heavy mats and they will last forever!
To mitigate the trip hazard on the thick mats some companies have transition ramps or just take a grinder and a flap wheel and put a bevel on the edges.

JoeR

Equipment
L3010 HST with Loader
Mar 7, 2023
Stokesdale, NC

Andrew
No, but find a place that can help you get the right ones. I like the double ring duo style chains and will get a set for my L3010, but you're going to need to make sure you have clearance for them, or any others you put on there. The cool thing though is that any chains will be great in snow.
Joe

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Why not the fronts?
I got chains for my fronts and know they fit. Haven't put them on.

Always wait too long. Don't like putting chains on when it's 20 degrees.

Not much room on a BX, but sure I could make them work.

Glad didn't have them this year. Never had much base/ice to speak of.....so far.... ❄

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
The maintenance manager at my Kubota dealer claims the front ring and pinon gears aren't designed to handle the extra stress front tire chains can cause.
He also said front ring and pinon gear replacement is not an
uncommon repair for them
One customer has had the front ring and pinon repair more than once, but claims he can't
maneuver well enough with just rear tire chains and insists on using front tire chains too.

tacticalturnip

Equipment
Kioti CK2610
Jan 19, 2023
NW Atlantic
I get a huge laugh at videos like that, another reason not to buy Kioti!
Yes that is NOT a Kubota that he's running, they are not built the same.
Did you watch the video? He's just moving wood and discussing the results of telephone conversations he had with his local dealers. His local Deere dealer told him not to run front chains, while his Kioti dealer told him to "send it, Bub" in between hits of methamphetamine. So he is choosing to not run them as his machine is out of warranty. Nothing to rip on Kioti about.

Frankly though, since I've been using hybrid tires I've not had to use any chains.