chains or straps?

Back40_dude

Equipment
98 B2400HSD FEL B/B
Jul 17, 2010
pittsburgh
What is the preferred method for pulling/dragging stuff around. Stumps..logs..rocks. I did search under "Chains" but not enough info there.

Any suggestions for yard carts that attach to the tow bar? I have a bit of firewood to move around.

Anybody ever tow a log splitter with their tractor? I have to rent one and then get it out to the work area.

Thanks
Mike

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
For me, in that type of application, I strongly prefer chains. They are easier and quicker to attach, less sensitive to abrasion, sharp edges or scraping over rocks, and will spring back less when they break or pop something out, compared to straps.

Make sure you're pulling from the drawbar, too, to minimize the risk of flipping, breaking your tractor, and other non-optimal outcomes.

PeterA

Equipment
B6200 HST 4WD @ SIMS cab, Kubota 1630 FEL, rototiller & plough
Dec 17, 2010
St. John's Newfoundland
I recently used chain to pull out alder stumps. Worked great. I don't want to use anything that might snap and whip back on me (safety hazard especially for eyes). I fear that braided aircraft cable might do that. Peter

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You aint lived until you snap a chain and a link flys up and peggs ya somewhere on your body! Yes a chain can stretch and snap and links go flying god know's where. And I've broke my fair share of cable as well.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
Chains definitely can pop back at you-steel is more elastic than rubber-but they don't pop back as much as a nylon strap does, or cable. I watched a pair of nylon straps get connected with a clevis, and, not being involved in the situation, headed for cover as one truck pulled on another one to get it out of a bowl in a dune. When one strap broke at the clevis, the clevis-carrying end of the stretched out nylon strap rocketed back with lethal force. It caromed off the tailgate, broke the rear window, and spider-webbed the inside of the windshield.

I was glad to be watching, and not participating. Straps have their place, and their stretchiness is a boon sometimes, but for working with awkwardly shaped loads, dragging through dirt, around edges, corners, or sharp ends of broken branches, the durability of a chain is far more useful to me. A choker cable seems handy, too, but requires an extra step of connecting it to some other line to the tractor anyway.

For periodic use, chain seems the best. If you're actually hauling a lot of timber out of places, though, it seems like a specific implement, whether a logging arch/trailer, or whatever, would be a much better choice.

luthergoomer

Sep 11, 2010
luther,mi
when buying a chain remember that you get what you pay for, if you get a cheap one you will more than likely be hurt. spend the money up front and get one to do the job but still be cautious. REMEMBER STUPID HURTS!!!

swamprat009

Equipment
L245DT (1982); L1200 Loader;Boom Pole;Dirt Scoop;Rake;Harley Rake;Chipper;Box Sc
Mar 6, 2011
Lawrenceville,NJ
Yes Chains are my preferred method for dragging. They hook onto the tow pin easily, also easy to adjust. Use a log choker for drag large quantities of brush & logs. Moving a towable splitter is easy put a draw bar on 3 pt end links then stabilize it. put tow balls in holes and tow away.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I've used both and if you know what nylon does when it breaks you prepare accordingly. If that log is 70 feet down in the woods, I don't have enuff chains and the strength to fool with them then.

One thong about logs is if you are going to use them for lumber or will run a saw thru them, well all that gravel is not good to pick up. That is where, even though not recommended, using the three point with an attachment does the trick. Just know your risks about tipping over backwards. Same goes for side hill work or using a bucket.