Chains instead of a top link for bush hog?

Popeyecop

Equipment
L175, L3901
Sep 14, 2017
Chester, IL
I'm new to this whole tractor life. I seen some information on people using chains on their brush hogs. Any benefit to using chains?

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I prefer a check chain in place of the top link. My land is undulating where I bush hog. A top link setup properly with rotary cutters swivel mount is not enough flex for me. I just have to be careful of PTO angles when it flexes alot. Ill hear it start to fuss, and Ill raise the 3 pt a hair to maintain PTO angle.

With bigger machines and bigger cutters a chain might not be a good idea. Wouldnt want 7-1000 pounds of rotating mass flipping over towards you if you got too bumpy.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm new to this whole tractor life. I seen some information on people using chains on their brush hogs. Any benefit to using chains?
Chains can be added as a "shock" absorber for unlevel ground when pulling a box blade or hog with the 3 point - most good hogs have a pivot point built in, however, chains are also used to freeze a lowering point. If you were to lower your hog on a flat concrete driveway. You would want you front end to be a little lower than your rear - 1/4" or so. Sometimes the front is raised too high via the 3 point, and sometimes it will lower itself too low and scalp the grass. Chains allow the front end to go down to "X" depth and stop. But cha still need the top link!;)

If you have position control the 3 point will stay where you place it....more or less:D, 1/4" valve is hard to get in the right "spot" - with chains, you lower the 3 point all the way, and the chains set you to the proper depth that you have set.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HgyQQdSLGoc/hqdefault.jpg