chain claw on back of tractor

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
I've got a "chain claw" on the back of my B6100 just above the top link mount. I'm positive it's factory and I've always wondered what its intended use was?

I've found various use's for it over the years, but never understood its intended use. When I had water contamination over the winter, I was able to lift up the three point with a jack and hook the chain on the three point linkage there too keep my weight rack off the ground. Speaking of chain, I don't understand that either, its attached to the LH lower link, and just stays looped up out of the way.. I know that's factory because those links were for my TLB and had never been used.

Obviously it wouldn't get used for pulling... that would be asking to get hurt.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's there to hold the transport holding chain.
It's a chain for holding up the 3 point while transporting implements any distance or time.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
No its actually there as like a top link on some tillers. If you've ever seen pictures of a grey market B6000 or B6001 with a permanent mounted tiller the top link on it was a chain and not a threaded top link. It allowed the tiller to float and not launch back up.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Just for anyone listening in about the pulling remark: you are exactly correct about getting hurt.

ALWAYS pull from the drawbar mounted BELOW the rear axle. Not the 3-point or any other convenient place to hook a chain.

If pulling from above the axle, the machine will flip backwards so quick you'll never know you're dead.

Am active in local rural VFD and EMS: we get about one a year dinged up or killed in our area in backward tractor flips. Other popular methods include sideways rollovers and being run over by own machine. Have had hay bales roll down loader arms and crush operator and tree limbs snap back and break neck. Less common but extremely lethal is dismemberment by bushhog. Be careful.

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
Yup, I took my TLB over to a house to upright a Farmall cub that flipped over backwards on the owner. He got very lucky and walked away just short on breath and a banged up pride. The steering wheel hit him in the chest and was able to roll it off him.

Last edited: