Can't remove flat tire on my BX23S

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
And I thought we had some real rednecks here 🤣🤣🤣. I know how I would use the tractor to loosen the lugnuts in a situation like this😂 won’t advise here though.

Hold my beer 😂
I think I may have just thought of another idear!🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
And what about using ether to get that bead seated? What kind of redneck group does not recommend that? What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: 1 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
U tube shows them all, never had much luck myself with starter spray, to much oil and catch the tire and field on fire, did that with my motorhome in Oklahoma. My neighbor used acetylene and oxygen from his cutting torch for my old heavy JD backhoe tire, 1 minute of gas and no result, 2 minutes lifted it off the ground by at least a foot, "Worked", but we had to clean or shorts out. I now have the 5 gallon compressed air tank with the rapid release, and a ratchet strap, all ways been able to get that to work, some times the tire needs to be brought in the house to warm up so its not cold hard.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Fire to seat beads.....reminds me how stupid I was installing suicide rim locks without a cage in my early days. I think that old shop still has the license plates RTV patch on the roof(18 roof ceilings) that the lock ring made when it slipped out while trying to seal. Second on removing valve core and I have found tire paste in slightly excessive amounts really helps. As to the air tank with the valve I remember seeing someone(not me, but, I was watching like a hawk) putting 2 five pound bags of flour in it and waiting for the newbie to use it.

Last edited:
  • Haha

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Having had 5 vehicles at one time as my girls were growing up I bought a CHEAP electric impact gun and set of sockets at Harbor Freight. Way better for changing tires! I also picked up one of their torque wrenches to tighten the lugs to the required ft lbs per the manufacturer! It makes life easier!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Impact wrench, highly effective, highly expensive.
Cheap alternative:
The "cheap alternative" breaker bar introduces a significant risk.

Depending on how much brute force is applied (with a cheater pipe?), it is possible to snap a wheel stud/bolt off.
Then what?

An impact wrench is a much more refined application of the required loosening force.
By definition: An impact wrench hammers nuts/bolts, while at the same time applying loosening rotational force.

A great tool, and very much worth the expense, when considering the potential alternative.

The good news: On a new tractor, it is not likely that the bolts/studs would actually snap off with a breaker bar, because there should be no rust or corrosion involved..

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Try HF for an inexpensive lectric impact gun, I know lots of folks put them down but if you are not using them daily should be OK

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Harbor Freight, 3 1/2 stars or better I will try it, no stars beware. Wish it was not all China made, would love to always support our falling Country.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Th
Try HF for an inexpensive lectric impact gun, I know lots of folks put them down but if you are not using them daily should be OK
The cheapest HF electric impact wrench is $49.99, but if buying one, I would instead opt for the Porter Cable impact on Amazon at $79.99

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Harbor Freight, 3 1/2 stars or better I will try it, no stars beware. Wish it was not all China made, would love to always support our falling Country.
I actually see 4+ stars for the cheapest ($49.99) HF impact wrench.
Perhaps that IS the way to go?
You should also get some cheap HF metric impact (black) sockets.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
With all the "use an impact wrench" replies, I just want make sure you are aware. They are great for taking things apart. Not so great for putting back together. Putting the lug nuts on with an impact is why you are in this situation to begin with. A good quality torque wrench will save you time, money, and frustration down the line. If you decide to go with the cheater tube over the breaker bar, don't muscle it, beat it with a 5 lb persuader or BFH. the short burst hammering is better for breaking it loose rather than snapping it off.
If you go with the ether mode to reseat the bead, have a friend video for entertainment purposes.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
((I'm very inexperienced with tractors and tools, so apologies for stupid things I say or do.))
No apologies needed here unless being an Ahole! Lol

I agree impacts are the way to go but the cheater bar is an attempt to save some money on what should be a simple task. As for the simple task, I'm sure we have all run into stubborn lug nuts and have gotten them one way or another.😬

A good battery powered or electric impact would probably be best for the OP unless he needs a compressor for air and other tools required later.

One thing the OP needs to know is to make sure the nuts are started by hand and not cross threaded before using impact. I use the impact for speed and just seat them, then torque by hand.
Make sure wheel is seated.. 1st lugnut snug, then 2nd lug farthest away, Repeat and tighten in a star pattern.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
It seems from the many posts I have read, front tires on BX's are prone to leakage. If and when you are able to remove the tire and have additional issues with leaking, I suggest tubing them.

I currently use a 1/2", 20-volt Dewalt impact on its lowest setting. If you end up using an impact, I suggest impact rated deep well, 6-point sockets. Regular sockets are NOT generally rated for impact service and could crack. 3/8" drive impact would probably be sufficient. Just match your socket size with impact drive size. As mentioned above, a breaker bar with cheater pipe will also work.
An added suggestion, IF you should load the rear tires for FEL ballast, which would be good when the BH is NOT attached, and IF you use rimguard (beat juice) be sure to have them remove the rubber valve stem and replace with a good quality metal stem. This I know from personal experience. Alternative would be windshield washer fluid (WWF). If you don't want to load the rears, keep the BH on, that's 600# of rear ballast.

There is nothing wrong with educating oneself on your tractor. Comon sense is generally your best route. If it seems dangerous or wrong, it probably is.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Instead of filling tires for ballast, buy/make a simple 'carryall', toss weight into a box on a skid. use that when NEEDED. Silly to have loaded tires when not needed and terrible when the BH is on.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Instead of filling tires for ballast, buy/make a simple 'carryall', toss weight into a box on a skid. use that when NEEDED. Silly to have loaded tires when not needed and terrible when the BH is on.
Also rear ballast would be better than filled tires if you are using a mmm (belly mower) for lawn.

Edit- re-read and figured I better explain meself! I meant some type of rear ballast would be better than filled tires so you could take it off while mowing. This way you don't have all that un needed weight making tire indentions where it may be soft.

Last edited:

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
That would work too. Its good to share different opinions.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The "cheap alternative" breaker bar introduces a significant risk.

Depending on how much brute force is applied (with a cheater pipe?), it is possible to snap a wheel stud/bolt off.
Then what?
Been using that bar for more than 10 years with no problems. Never needed a cheater pipe.
As with all aspects of life, (un) common sense must be utilized.
I have both electric & air impacts, but the bar is my go to tool. Quick, easy, and no cord or hose to drag out.
On the rare occasion where the bar fails, the impacts come out.