Can't Fold ROPS - Brand new BX1870 - Help!

Trex

Aug 17, 2013
MA
Just got my new BX1870 delivered today. Only problem is that I can't get the ROPS to fold down and I can't fit it in my shed because of it. I followed the steps in the manual, doesn't seem very complicated either. Unscrewed the knobs, pulled both pins, and tried to fold.. nothing. I can actually get it to move a couple inches and then it hits something hard in the joint. I loosened the nut on the bolt that remains on the joint, so now for the few inches that it will move it is loose, but it is hitting something solid. So I don't think it is a friction problem.

Anyone else have this issue? Dealer is closed tomorrow and I want to put it away before the rains come!

BenRich

Equipment
BX1870D w/FEL, Land Pride FDR1648 Mower, Land Pride RBO560 Scrape Blade
Trex - I have the same machine. Have you loosened both bolts on the ROPS? On mine I loosened both, squirted a little motor oil inside and was then able to move it quite easily.

I don't have the owner's manual on hand at the moment but I seem to remember the manual recommending loosening the bolts if they were too tight and then re-tightening them until they're at a place that enables (relatively) easy folding.

Ben

Toby 1

Equipment
Box 2670
Aug 11, 2013
Kaukauna Wi
I had the same problem yesterday when I picked up my new BX2670.When they assembled mine they but the bolts in the hole the pins belonged in. I thought the salesman was going to tear it off the tractor trying to fold it down.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ah, the ol' cant fold the ROPS trick! I too got my BX-25D about a month ago, my headroom about 6" too short too!!!

Loosen the knobs,
pull the pins,

grab two Big A$$ wrenches, 7/8" or 15/16" I think......loosen the TWO big bolts/nuts until you like what you got, (might want to leave the a pin in)I still have mine "tight" so it cannot slam down, but loose enough that I can pull it down, be careful if you are swinging your hoe, IT CAN HIT THE ROPS if it is down and you swing hard to one side!!! Funny how I know that.....almost did it !

Last edited:

mckemie

Equipment
BX1870
Apr 8, 2017
Dale, Texas, USA
April 2017, I just bought a new BX1870 from dealer Ewald in Seguin Texas. When the need arose, I found I was unable to fold my ROPS. I queried my salesman and I got no response. I just wasted several hours tracking down the problem. Thanks for the posts! I determined my tractor had also been mis-assembled, apparently by the dealer. I wonder what other poor dealer prep problems I will encounter?
On my model, the heads and nuts on the bolts that have to be moved are different sizes. 15/16" and 13/16" wrenches worked though they may well be metric.

Last edited:

00Formula

Oct 14, 2014
Tennessee
I had the same problem yesterday when I picked up my new BX2670.When they assembled mine they but the bolts in the hole the pins belonged in. I thought the salesman was going to tear it off the tractor trying to fold it down.
This is what was wrong with my BX2670 as well.

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
Mine was assembled incorrectly too. The pivot bolt was in the wrong hole. Here is a pic with the bolt in the proper place. In the pic you can see the hole to the right with the circle around the hole where they wrongly installed the bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00Formula

Oct 14, 2014
Tennessee
My guess is the factory did this on purpose to secure it for transport. The dealer is/was supposed to correct it after delivery to the dealer and before sale to the customer.

GEPM64

Equipment
B2601 with FEL, Box Scraper, rotary mower, 3pt snowblower and Sovema Tiller
Sep 15, 2014
Hazelridge, Manitoba, Canada
Congrats on the new machine. When I bought my bx2370 a few years ago, the rops was also put together wrong and wouldn't fold down. I'm guessing that's your issue here as well.

Good luck and enjoy your toy.

Regards,

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Same on my new 2370.
I figured the guy at the tractor store screwed up and put the bolt in the wrong hole doing the pre-sales assembly - but I like your thoughts on this better (Kubota purposely installed it that way for shipping) then the tractor store screwed up by not correcting it.

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
My guess is the factory did this on purpose to secure it for transport. The dealer is/was supposed to correct it after delivery to the dealer and before sale to the customer.

When shipped the rops are not installed at all. Dealers install them during PDI.

Jfurn1978

Equipment
BX 2380
Jun 23, 2017
Quakertown Pennsylvania
My New BX2380 was the same. What I figure and maybe is not the case but by Kubota assembling the ROPS with the bolt in the wrong spot you as the new owner take the responsibility by removing the bolt to the correct spot. If you roll over with the ROPS folded and you and/or your machine are injured/damaged your insurance may not cover the cost.

stevestange

Equipment
BX2370
Jul 20, 2018
Kerrville, Texas
Mine was assembled incorrectly too. The pivot bolt was in the wrong hole. Here is a pic with the bolt in the proper place. In the pic you can see the hole to the right with the circle around the hole where they wrongly installed the bolt.

Knott, you are verified correct. I went to dealer to discuss ROPS issue. I even checked the inventory lot on the BX's while waiting for the foreman. The BX2370 - half were installed correctly and other half incorrectly! So I guess the dealer wanted to cut his callbacks to 50%? :=) The dealer did apologize and will correct the problem. He did explain that the two main parts of the ROPS are shipped by Kubota as separate pieces to the dealer for assembly. So he acknowledged that the shop, depending on who was working that day, connected the pivot points, some right, some incorrectly. No conspiracies.

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Had the same problem .. swapped bolts and pins . Lubricated drum sanded holes to remove excess paint still had problems. Turned out to be a clearance issue from top half being to long to cam over. Had to take a 2x4 rap up sharply tipped right over. Went after the offending edge with a grinder and touched up the paint.

esloser

Equipment
working on BX1870-1
Oct 30, 2015
Millville, NJ
Just leave it up and get the garage door damage out of the way. It happens to everyone!