Can't find radiator drain plug on L3600

WestCoast

Sep 3, 2022
UK
I recently acquired an L3600, which doesn't look to have been well-maintained, though it starts fine and runs like a watch. However, winter is coming and I want to make sure that the coolant is more than just water (though it seldoms freezes hard in this the coastal UK). Problem is that I can't find the radiator drain plug which, according to p.65 of the manual, should be a kind of wingnut more or less in line with the radiator. In can't see anything like that, though I haven't removed all the panels yet...

If the worst comes to the worst, can I just remove the hose coming out of the bottom of the radiator on the right hand side (looking forward from the cab) and drain it that was?

Thank you!

plug.png

20221202_133313-25%.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It 'might' be that mangled black mess,already twisted into an unrecognizable mess ??

If that drain plug is PLASTIC, I urge you to NOT attempt to unscrew it. Have seen posts here where the PLASTIC breaks and you're in real trouble. pretty sure most just loosen the lower rad hose, accept the 'mess' and carry on.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If that little hose runs from the bottom of the radiator to the block near the oil filter and injector pump, yes, that's the best place to drain the whole system.

Regardless of climate, you should run antifreeze, it helps lubricate and inhibit corrosion.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You should be able to purchase a tester at your local auto parts store to tell the freezing level of your coolant mixture without draining it. I never found the radiator drain on my last tractor so I simply detached the lower hose. Be sure to use only distilled water with the anti freeze in your cooling system, never tap water. The same is true for your battery.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
they didn't all have the wing-nut style. Some had a hex with a slot in it that a screwdriver would fit. Or a 14mm wrench (IIRC). Kinda hard to see em. RH side of radiator, bottom, buried, and often has a bunch of grease/mud/etc on it

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Something I did to make draining antifreeze easier when you've got a radiator with no drain (or busted drain) is to use parts like those shown below. I had plenty of room in the L35 where the lower radiator hose runs from the radiator to engine to install this. When the time comes to drain I think it will be a cleaner job.
BTW, I had to increase the size of the hole and retap the pipe joint to fit the petcock in my case.

1670055339397.png

WestCoast

Sep 3, 2022
UK
Thanks for all the helpful responses and suggestions, which I am thinking about. I will go and take another look later, but for now I have attached a photo of what I think is the radiator hose...

On the subject of antifreeze, the manual specifies "SAE J1034, specifically SAE J814c" but I can't find anything marked with those specifications locally. My local auto parts shop suggested blue antifreeze, simply on the basis that vehicles older than 2002 tend to use that.

Is there a simple way to tell the right antifreeze from the wrong type, or are they all pretty much the same?

20221202_133350-25%.jpg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Use Prestone ordinary green/yellow multi-vehicle antifreeze in a Kubota.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You should be able to purchase a tester at your local auto parts store to tell the freezing level of your coolant mixture without draining it. I never found the radiator drain on my last tractor so I simply detached the lower hose. Be sure to use only distilled water with the anti freeze in your cooling system, never tap water. The same is true for your battery.
"Be sure to use only distilled water with the anti-freeze"

I think that is an overstatement.
If you have neutral PH tap water, (from a water softener system?) then it should be just fine for a radiator.
For battery use though, and since such small amounts are usually required, distilled water is the best idea.

Reactions: 1 user