Can't find a B2601, is the B2601 the right pick.

LawnShark

Equipment
B2601 HSD-1, LA435 FEL, BH70 w/MT
Jan 6, 2021
Southern New York
The B2401 is a little bit smaller than B2601 only by inches. However I found being 6 foot two that the B2601 was the better fit for me. There was more cockpit space than B2401. Maybe the tilt steering made the difference. I ended up purchasing the B2601 and took delivery Christmas Eve. Of the two models I felt I made the right choice. You definitely need to sit in one and drive it. The kind of money we’re talking don’t settle.
Good Luck.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Any reason you don't want to consider the LX series? LX2610 HST with mid PTO would do exactly what you're wanting, quite nicely, and you can option it out with some pretty nice tricks. My LX was actually about $3-4 K less than the B2650 that I wanted. Since the LX is supposed to be replacing the B-Series anyway, might be smarter to go with the newer model. I got the LX2610SU, the Special Utility version, that has no mid PTO. I'm a long way from being able to even consider something under the belly of my tractor. A belly mower for me would be a broken mower. Constantly. If I can get a little Husqvarna stuck on top of a mowing deck, I probably don't want a mowing deck under an LX2610. I actually wanted the SU version so that if I decided to add a backhoe later, I can, with a lot less problems, and it wouldn't take away a (non-existent) mid PTO option that I paid for. The backhoe subframe on the LX pretty much prohibits putting a MMM under it. The LX comes in basically 3 flavors, with cab options available for any of the three. LX2610SU, LX2610, and LX3310. The last has DPF (not DEF) that adds a little bit of extra service requirement. There are ROPS and CAB models available for all three models. The SU is the 'low end' version without tilt wheel or mid PTO. Both of the other frames have the MID PTO, tilt wheel, deluxe seat with arm rests, and I'm thinking the CAB models include QuickTach connectors. The QuickTach option is the only one that can be added to the SU model. Even though it's the "low end" model, the SU is still surprisingly tricked out with some nice things. Nicest tractor I've ever had, even since I was a kid. The LX frames are a little heavier and larger than the B's (according to the Kubota marketing video I watched). But doesn't matter how much horsepower you have if all you can do is spin your wheels, does it? That's where the weight pays off. Otherwise, they're very similar in ratings. Check the pricing. Kubota's incentivized the LX frame to help phase out the B Series.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The LX is replacing only the large frame B - the B2650 and B3350. The B2601, B2401 and B2301 are all continuing for the foreseeable future. Kubota are deliberately splitting the naming, as it was confusing having two frame sizes that were both labelled as a B.

As such, the LX is not "replacing the B-series anyway", it's only replacing the large B. If the OP wants the small B, then going to an LX would be bigger than he wants - and he mentions he's limited in how much weight he can trailer.

I'm pretty sure you can have a backhoe and a MMM, and you definitely don't lose your mid-PTO (for example, you might use that for a front mount snowblower). I'd expect a MMM on an LX to be much less likely to get hung up than one on a Husqvana, as they have much more clearance / can ride over much bigger obstacles. But if your terrain isn't particularly flat then a MMM isn't the right implement, I'd agree, you're better with a bush hog or a flail mower. Of course, in my mind, if you have a tractor then there's no reason your lawn wouldn't be flat - the whole point of a tractor is to modify your property to suit your needs, and making your lawn flat would be one of the first things I'd be doing (it was one of the early tasks for my BX2350 when I bought it).

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I was blessed with my B2601. I got a quote sheet on 10/31/20. The dealer was able to trade with another dealer and I took delivery on 11/24/20. The only thing on backorder is an RCR1548 cutter, which I won't need until spring. I still have to order a grapple (EA wicked 55") and a chipper (thinking about a WM 8H).

I am 6'3", weigh 260 Lbs, and have size 13 feet. I find the tractor comfortable to run, I leave the steering wheel in the full up position.
Doc,
Your grapple and chipper are excellent choices. I'm curious as to why you ordered the 48" wide rear rotary cutter, on paper your tractor has a 49" wide track, a lot of people order the next size up from the tractor track assuming you have enough HP at the PTO, I would assume that a B2601 would run a standard 60" rotary cutter well.

Just sharing a little knowledge and not being critical of your selection. DO you plan to cut a large area often? I know a lot of users go smaller if they feel they are going to do underbrush cutting rather than more open field cutting.

Last edited:

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Any reason you don't want to consider the LX series? LX2610 HST with mid PTO would do exactly what you're wanting, quite nicely, and you can option it out with some pretty nice tricks. My LX was actually about $3-4 K less than the B2650 that I wanted. Since the LX is supposed to be replacing the B-Series anyway, might be smarter to go with the newer model. I got the LX2610SU, the Special Utility version, that has no mid PTO. I'm a long way from being able to even consider something under the belly of my tractor. A belly mower for me would be a broken mower. Constantly. If I can get a little Husqvarna stuck on top of a mowing deck, I probably don't want a mowing deck under an LX2610. I actually wanted the SU version so that if I decided to add a backhoe later, I can, with a lot less problems, and it wouldn't take away a (non-existent) mid PTO option that I paid for. The backhoe subframe on the LX pretty much prohibits putting a MMM under it. The LX comes in basically 3 flavors, with cab options available for any of the three. LX2610SU, LX2610, and LX3310. The last has DPF (not DEF) that adds a little bit of extra service requirement. There are ROPS and CAB models available for all three models. The SU is the 'low end' version without tilt wheel or mid PTO. Both of the other frames have the MID PTO, tilt wheel, deluxe seat with arm rests, and I'm thinking the CAB models include QuickTach connectors. The QuickTach option is the only one that can be added to the SU model. Even though it's the "low end" model, the SU is still surprisingly tricked out with some nice things. Nicest tractor I've ever had, even since I was a kid. The LX frames are a little heavier and larger than the B's (according to the Kubota marketing video I watched). But doesn't matter how much horsepower you have if all you can do is spin your wheels, does it? That's where the weight pays off. Otherwise, they're very similar in ratings. Check the pricing. Kubota's incentivized the LX frame to help phase out the B Series.
I am going to check pricing on a LX but it is more than we need. We really only need a BX, but a B will be nice.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I am going to check pricing on a LX but it is more than we need. We really only need a BX, but a B will be nice.
I thought the same, but I sure do enjoy that extra little bit of muscle and weight with the LX. It's a lot bigger than the BX, and is pretty close to a 'real' tractor. It ain't no toy, for sure.
CFBV3950.JPG

I just finished putting the grab-hooks and D-rings on/in the bucket in this photo.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Of course, in my mind, if you have a tractor then there's no reason your lawn wouldn't be flat - the whole point of a tractor is to modify your property to suit your needs, and making your lawn flat would be one of the first things I'd be doing (it was one of the early tasks for my BX2350 when I bought it).
I have a valid reason, or perhaps a really good doctor's excuse. I've only had the tractor since the last week of November 2020. I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder on June 12, 2020, on the left shoulder on October 29, 2020, and I'm just now getting so that it doesn't turn me into a screaming lump to actively (without assistance) raise my left arm over my head. A lotta stuff got put on hold last June after the MRI showed my RH cuff was completely ruptured and the left was getting there fast because I couldn't lift with my right arm. Flat(ter) is a goal, absolutely, and has been for 15 years. Just took a while to save up for the tractor, and justify it to myself. The missus has been encouraging me to get one for a while. I just have to take it easy until I get healed up again, because if I tear my right cuff again, I'm gonna have to have a complete reconstruction. I can think of better things to spend that money on and much more fun things to do.

I may not have been quite clear about the frame sizes. It's the "Big B's" that are going to be phased out, but kind of re-branded as LX models with a few extra bells and whistles. There are some things that were problematic on the "Big B's" that have been resolved on the LX, some of which have been completely resolved on the LX frame. HOWEVER, you are not going to put the backhoe subframe for a Big-B on the LX. Won't fit. Been there, done that, and had it explained to me at length by the local dealer. If you're not planning on getting a backhoe, then that's a non-problem for you. However, it does clearly indicate there is more new to the LX than meets the eye. That caveat is not documented anywhere that I know of on Kubota sites. It is in this forum, though. There are a few things that will be interchangeable with the Big-B's, but by and large, the LX is a different tractor, if only cosmetically, and different enough to be called a new model.

The R-14's on the SU are ENORMOUS compared to the tires available for the 'deluxe' models. I've stood between two LX2610's, one being an SU. It was confusing to see the 'same size' tractor look so much larger. There probably isn't 2 inches between the rear fender and the top of the larger rear tires. One would want to be extremely cautious about putting their hand on the fender while rolling. That's probably why they put grab handles on the fenders.

If you have rough overgrown property (like me), or are planning to move a lot of dirt to level/landscape it (like me), I don't think you're going to be quite as happy with the lighter B model. If you're a lot younger and don't mind some minor increases in work by having to cut things up smaller (like cutting smaller pieces of steak and chewing longer because it's tough), you'll probably be fine with a B. If you want a tractor to run a lawn mower on finished turf and don't consistently need the weight of the LX, then yes, the B or BX might be more in line with your needs.

Here's a good dealer video for the OP to watch, if you haven't already seen it. It's a good run-down of the LX specs and applications. For the price differential, it was a no-brainer to me, especially since the B2650 was nearly $4K higher than the LX SU package while I was shopping. Besides the better price, I'm a firm believer in using a 20 lb sledgehammer for a fly swatter. The OP may have missed the bargain window, though. Can't hurt to ask the dealer and negotiate a good deal.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Was just at my dealer this week. Bought a 2601, well on a list. They just sold the 3 they had. Gave me April as worst case scenario but are expecting them sooner. Said Kutoba shut down twice due to Covid for only 2 weeks but now they are close to a year behind. My go to dealer so I trust them. Asked about MF as they also sell them. Said with Kubota discounts there is no point right now. My price was 16750 with rim guard FEL, and quick attach bucket. Kubota has the best discounts around. If the discounts get better before it comes in I get them. If they get worse, they can fill out paperwork to lock me in with the current rates. Hard pressed to find a better tractor for that price, even used.

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Was just at my dealer this week. Bought a 2601, well on a list. They just sold the 3 they had. Gave me April as worst case scenario but are expecting them sooner. Said Kutoba shut down twice due to Covid for only 2 weeks but now they are close to a year behind. My go to dealer so I trust them. Asked about MF as they also sell them. Said with Kubota discounts there is no point right now. My price was 16750 with rim guard FEL, and quick attach bucket. Kubota has the best discounts around. If the discounts get better before it comes in I get them. If they get worse, they can fill out paperwork to lock me in with the current rates. Hard pressed to find a better tractor for that price, even used.
Wow, great price. I've got 3 quotes around 22,000 all in for a B2601,mmm, &FEL

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I got a "ballpark" price of ~$20k last month for B2601 w/FEL. Didn't dicker, and it was about the Kubota "build" price. $16,750 sounds great.

WKUalum

Equipment
B2601
Apr 3, 2020
Fenton MI
I bought my B2601 in April 2020. Couldn't be happier. The only thing I might do at some point after the warranty period is add the BXanded shim kit to get a littled more lift. I paid $28,850 for a brand new 2601 with fluid in the r14 tires, swift tach loader, BH70 backhoe with a thumb, Landpride 3rd function on front, LP 60 inch grapple, LP 50 inch tiller, and a LP 48in cutter. All at 0% for 5 years...how can you beat it?

ltpeto164

Equipment
Kubota B2601, turf tires, 60" Grapple, 55" snowblower, LP Land Planner, MMM
Dec 9, 2020
Northern Wis.
Hi Tim1983, I got my B2601 delivered July 2020 from dealer in Antigo, WI. I already have 96 hrs on it, actually fun to work with! For it's size, it's a great workhorse. It comes with the FEL, dealer installed 3rd function valve, Turf tires (I love them, plenty of traction and so far great in the snow), LP 60" grapple (must have), Kubota's 55" commercial front snowblower, 54" MMM (probably should have gotten the 60"), LP pallet forks, stump bucket, LP 60" land Planner. Will be looking at getting box blade also, for moving dirt. I think its a great smaller tractor. It's small enough to work in smaller yards, yet it has plenty of power.

There are a lot of good idea's and video's on YouTube. GP Outdoors has many video's related to the B2601 and he recently switched to the LX2601, lot's of good, honest info there.

Good Luck

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi Tim1983, I got my B2601 delivered July 2020 from dealer in Antigo, WI. I already have 96 hrs on it, actually fun to work with! For it's size, it's a great workhorse. It comes with the FEL, dealer installed 3rd function valve, Turf tires (I love them, plenty of traction and so far great in the snow), LP 60" grapple (must have), Kubota's 55" commercial front snowblower, 54" MMM (probably should have gotten the 60"), LP pallet forks, stump bucket, LP 60" land Planner. Will be looking at getting box blade also, for moving dirt. I think its a great smaller tractor. It's small enough to work in smaller yards, yet it has plenty of power.

There are a lot of good idea's and video's on YouTube. GP Outdoors has many video's related to the B2601 and he recently switched to the LX2601, lot's of good, honest info there.

Good Luck
Im in Oconomowoc, so now I know it works in WI. GP Outdoors has been very helpful.

Docpraise

Equipment
B2601, MMM, FEL, PF, BB, RTV 500
Nov 21, 2020
Eastern Kentucky
Doc,
Your grapple and chipper are excellent choices. I'm curious as to why you ordered the 48" wide rear rotary cutter, on paper your tractor has a 49" wide track, a lot of people order the next size up from the tractor track assuming you have enough HP at the PTO, I would assume that a B2601 would run a standard 60" rotary cutter well.

Just sharing a little knowledge and not being critical of your selection. DO you plan to cut a large area often? I know a lot of users go smaller if they feel they are going to do underbrush cutting rather than more open field cutting.
UpNorthMI,

Thanks for the comment. I have some tight spaces that will not allow a 5' implement. I currently "brush cut" with an old Craftsman riding mower with a 42"deck that was retired from lawn cutting years ago. I will be cutting mainly blackberry bushes and pine saplings so I wanted a heavier deck. Very little open field cutting will be done with this mower.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Hey Tim - welcome. We just got a B2601 last summer. We bought our tractor at McFarlanes in Sauk City, WI. I found they had the best prices by far at the time.

I really like the B2601 - I really wanted a John Deere, but found that they didn't offer anything comparable to the B2601.