Can't find a B2601, is the B2601 the right pick.

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
I am 95% decided on a B2601 for our first compact tractor. My challenge right now is finding one to even sit on and try out. My biggest concern is my size 6'5" and the gas peddle. I don't think they will be issues as I'm use to tight spaces and it would be my only tractor and I would get use to it. The dealers within 45min of me don't have one and are really resistant on giving any indication of price. Right now I am not overly impressed but considering the supply chain issues of last year and the time of year I sure things will improve.

Here are my questions:
1. Anyone else seeing a lack of inventory?
2. What qualifies a "good dealer"?
3. Any final thoughts on getting a B2601?

This is what I would be using it for.
  1. Lawn mowing 20-30 times a year (1-2 acres with MMM)
  2. brush hog 2-3 times a year (1-3 acres)
  3. Till a medium garden (Basically whatever I could till in a day)
  4. Clean a horse pen
  5. Misc (pull fence post, plant trees, minor grading, maybe put in a small gravel drive)
Additionally, a few times a year I would trailer it 155miles to my brothers land to do some tree clearing, food plot planting, misc. work.

I'm sure I could use a bigger tractor at times. But want to keep it small for trailering and keep cost down. None of these projects need to be done, all can be scaled to the tractor.

Surfer

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Sep 24, 2020
East Texas
I am 95% decided on a B2601 for our first compact tractor. My challenge right now is finding one to even sit on and try out. My biggest concern is my size 6'5" and the gas peddle. I don't think they will be issues as I'm use to tight spaces and it would be my only tractor and I would get use to it. The dealers within 45min of me don't have one and are really resistant on giving any indication of price. Right now I am not overly impressed but considering the supply chain issues of last year and the time of year I sure things will improve.

Here are my questions:
1. Anyone else seeing a lack of inventory?
2. What qualifies a "good dealer"?
3. Any final thoughts on getting a B2601?

This is what I would be using it for.
  1. Lawn mowing 20-30 times a year (1-2 acres with MMM)
  2. brush hog 2-3 times a year (1-3 acres)
  3. Till a medium garden (Basically whatever I could till in a day)
  4. Clean a horse pen
  5. Misc (pull fence post, plant trees, minor grading, maybe put in a small gravel drive)
Additionally, a few times a year I would trailer it 155miles to my brothers land to do some tree clearing, food plot planting, misc. work.

I'm sure I could use a bigger tractor at times. But want to keep it small for trailering and keep cost down. None of these projects need to be done, all can be scaled to the tractor.
I just bought a B2601 in September. Got great financing. I have 6 acres that need mowing and the B2601 is perfect for this. I have a brush hog implement and a FEL. In Sept I was warned by the dealer that there might be a shortage but I managed to get mine albeit came from the dealer's other store.
For me a good dealer is one who answers questions I have and have the parts or services I need. All ready had to replace a knob that came off, so nothing big. The salesman has given me a follow up call once a month so far asking me if I need any help with anything. Just a quick call from them really makes a difference. And I am sure he wants to sell me more stuff.
I am very happy with my B2601. It may look small but it's more than enough for me and sounds like it would be for you with what you have planned. I haven't even come close to thinking I need anything bigger.

Hope this helps.
Pete

Reactions: 1 users

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
The frustration continues. Just got off the phone with a dealer. He said the B2601 on their website is the commercial grade construction version. And I need the residential grade with a MMM. He says he cannot help me get a MMM. The naming and numbering system Kubota has may cause me to get a Green Tractor.

Anyone know what is going on with these numbers?

Tractor Beamer

Nov 18, 2020
Michigan
A B2601 is a B2601, at least to the best of my knowledge. There isn't a commercial or residential grade. I'd look for a new dealer.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I'm with Beamer, this guy is pulling your leg.

Good luck in your search. I had to wait 3+ months for my BX23S. June -> Sept 2020.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If it's the B26 TLB then that is in fact the construction grade, and if I recall correctly has a heavier FEL mounting system that isn't removeable. I think the BH comes off, but if you didn't want a BH then you don't want that machine.

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
If it's the B26 TLB then that is in fact the construction grade, and if I recall correctly has a heavier FEL mounting system that isn't removeable. I think the BH comes off, but if you didn't want a BH then you don't want that machine.
That seems to check out. Doesn't change the fact that Kubota's numbering system is ridiculous. Thanks for the help.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
Hang in there, Tim.

Here's my take on your questions:
1. Yes, there is an inventory shortage due to supply chain issues.
2. A good dealer is a local one, independent. In my AO, there is one local dealer (1 location), and a couple locations of a 3-4 dealer company. The local guy is where I bought my tractor from, his price was better, and the interaction certainly was more personable than the "dealership" that wanted to put all my contact information into their CRM system before talking machines.
3. Sounds like the B2601 is a good machine for you, you might also look for the B2650.

I looked at all of them and bought the L2501, but it doesn't have a MMM that you want.

And finally, don't go to "green" out of frustration. I was dead set on a green tractor so much that I only looked at Kubota because the wife pushed me to at least check them out prior to signing, I already had the deal worked out for the 3025e. The moment I saw the differences and operated the tractor, I was sold on orange and I'm even more glad I made that choice today.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Too sit on one and try the Treadle Peddle a B2301 is the same tractor - less HP.

MMM you will want a 60" my dealer told me he has never sold a B2601 with 54"

B2601 is worth the wait over green. 3 point control and H/M/L speed just to name a couple of reasons.

busterja21

Oct 12, 2019
colorado
I'm 6'7 and the 2650 (cab) has plenty of leg room for me. Cant speak for the 2601 though. Nice looking open station 2650 just came up for sale by me with brush hog for 18k, only 21 hrs.

Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
MY B2650's rotate-able seat (for the BH77) has an adjustable seat - standard lever release forward-back adjustment. My seat sits a little forward of center of travel, I'm about 6'.
busterja above concurs our B2650s are roomy enough.
The new version of the B2650HSD is the LX2610HSD. Any of those around to test ride?
For my 119ac home and mixed forest/fields I couldn't think of a Kubota CUT model that would do the job better. A very capable machine.
I left the lawns to a 22hp gas riding mower instead of buying a mmm for it. The 5' bush hog for the rest!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You might try posting your location and where you have already looked. Then members on here might be able to point you towards dealers they know that are good or ones that have a tractor in stock to look at. It has been done many many times on here, where someone else has found a tractor for a member.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I ordered a B2601 on December 15 and my dealer said it will be 4-6 weeks to get it. It is unclear to me whether I am getting one he has in stock—I didn't go to the dealer and have not tried out the model. But I have owned two previous B series gear tractors and a JD970. My only minor concern is getting used to the F-R peddle. But I figure I can get used to it.

I agree with those who say you need to talk to more dealers. First, search for all dealers within X many hours. And then go to the Kubota site and build your own to get the MSRP. You will then have, as well, the tractor with the options you know you want. You can send that pdf to a dealer and start talking. A salesman/dealership must communicate well, first. What they have to sell first and always is information, or should be. I was trying to buy a JD1025r because of the close dealership, but there were communication problems starting with their self-hosted dysfunctional email system. So I went to text for back and forth, until he ghosted me. I think he sold the tractor, which was fine, but not telling me was unforgivable. He could have told me they were trying to get a bunch more in, which they have, I notice.

The JD1025R is a good machine—some incredible engineering there on the MMM drive-over—but I think the JD2601 is a great one, from its specs and what I have heard. It is a bit bigger than that JD, so not a perfect match comparison-wise. I guess you'd have to go up to the next JD. But I have written off my local dealer and gone back to Kubota. A benefit is I believe in Kubota's ethos more.

I ordered my B2601 with a rear wheel spacer kit & extra front valve, LA435 Swift Tach loader w 60” bucket, Land Pride BB1560 box blade & Land Pride 0660 grapple. I didn't get the MMM after realizing I will always need a dedicated lawn mower too because of my place's terrain and layout. I am going to get a rotary cutter and pallet forks.

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Update. I was able to get an estimate from a dealer ~90mins away, they have a sold B2601 available for a week to test drive. Additionally, a closer dealer has a B2401 and BX that I could try. I should have realized the New Year would be a bad time to start this search. Being in Sales myself, I should have known better. O well, at least we are making process.

Also, I am located in Oconomowoc, WI if anyone has a lead.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Update. I was able to get an estimate from a dealer ~90mins away, they have a sold B2601 available for a week to test drive. Additionally, a closer dealer has a B2401 and BX that I could try. I should have realized the New Year would be a bad time to start this search. Being in Sales myself, I should have known better. O well, at least we are making process.

Also, I am located in Oconomowoc, WI if anyone has a lead.
My understanding was that the B2401 is only available in gear drive, not hydrostatic...not sure if that really interests you or if you were trying to see how the small B fits you? There are some folks that don't particularly care for the Kubota treadle pedal.

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
My understanding was that the B2401 is only available in gear drive, not hydrostatic...not sure if that really interests you or if you were trying to see how the small B fits you? There are some folks that don't particularly care for the Kubota treadle pedal.
Yes, B2401 is gear drive but the same size. I will use the B2401 to make sure my legs fit and the BX to see if I hate the treadle peddle. Not ideal, but at least will help keep the process moving.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yes, B2401 is gear drive but the same size. I will use the B2401 to make sure my legs fit and the BX to see if I hate the treadle peddle. Not ideal, but at least will help keep the process moving.
Got it. Just wasn't sure if you were aware of it. Best of luck to you. You'll find one.

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Got a chance to drive a few. Assuming the quotes are what I expect we are going with the B2601. What is still undecided and unclear is if I need to wait for something to become in stock or if I can order. We can wait, and I'd prefer to get exactly what we want.

Reactions: 2 users

Docpraise

Equipment
B2601, MMM, FEL, PF, BB, RTV 500
Nov 21, 2020
Eastern Kentucky
I was blessed with my B2601. I got a quote sheet on 10/31/20. The dealer was able to trade with another dealer and I took delivery on 11/24/20. The only thing on backorder is an RCR1548 cutter, which I won't need until spring. I still have to order a grapple (EA wicked 55") and a chipper (thinking about a WM 8H).

I am 6'3", weigh 260 Lbs, and have size 13 feet. I find the tractor comfortable to run, I leave the steering wheel in the full up position.