Can you regen early?

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I am thinking while I am tilling I am using a lot of HP. The tractor is a L4060HSTC.

The PM is 23% right now.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am thinking while I am tilling I am using a lot of HP. The tractor is a L4060HSTC.

The PM is 23% right now.
I believe one can initiate a parked regen whenever one desires but I would certainly not do one at 23%.

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No you cannot unfortunately, at least not in the L series tractors. To initiate a parked regen you have to be at level 2 particulate accumulation, which is "late" rather than early.

If you are working the tractor hard you may see your meter run backwards, passive regeneration.

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
DPF machines are better off being run at higher RPM to keep the DPF as clean as possible. The mistake many make is to run them like our tractors of old (just enough to get the work done). I just run mine higher RPM and work a little faster. Just run the machine at or just below rated rpm and it will take care of the rest. If in the middle of a regen, dont turn the machine off.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Run that engine at higher speeds than necessary….burn more fuel than necessary…. save the environment….

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

tbeckett

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Monroe Tufline Disc, Woods Bush Hog, 60" Grapple
Jun 3, 2021
Columbus, MS
Run that engine at higher speeds than necessary….burn more fuel than necessary…. save the environment….
That is what I was wondering when I got my M5660 with the regen stuff. I dropped out of College about 2 semesters too soon, cause I am sure one of my next classes would have 'splained what you are talking about!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Seriously though, if you run a little hotter, it might keep you from regen. I went through that pain with my F450.

That’s a reason I bought a L2501. I could get by without the extra HP. Fwiw, I was noticing today when I was grader/scrapering the neighborhood road. It was so rough that I couldn’t have gone faster even if I had more HP. Much better after a few passes.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
DPF machines are better off being run at higher RPM to keep the DPF as clean as possible. The mistake many make is to run them like our tractors of old efficently using the power needed for the job (just enough to get the work done).
I fixed it for you.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Have you ever owned a tractor with a DPF?
No. Thankfully, I was this close >< to buying a B3350 and settled for the B2650 instead. I would not make the jump to the DPF for only a few HP. 40+ would get me there.

I do own a truck that uses a DPF - AND as an added bonus to all the extra fuel burned to keep the DPF happy, I also burn another chemical (DEF) that comes in plastic bottles that aren't recycled. So I do have that going for me anyway (y).

DPF - Only an oil company executive could come up with this scheme.

Burn millions more barrels of fuel
Burn billions of gallons of a whole new chemical DEF - that happens to be packaged in plastic (more oil) and transported by the pallets on trucks all around the world (millions MORE gallons of fuel burned).

And this was the best they could come up with to trap some carbon. BTW - I identify as a carbon based life form.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
No. Thankfully, I was this close >< to buying a B3350 and settled for the B2650 instead. I would not make the jump to the DPF for only a few HP. 40+ would get me there.

I do own a truck that uses a DPF - AND as an added bonus to all the extra fuel burned to keep the DPF happy, I also burn another chemical (DEF) that comes in plastic bottles that aren't recycled. So I do have that going for me anyway (y).

Burn billions of gallons of a whole new chemical DEF - that happens to be packaged in plastic (more oil) and transported by the pallets on trucks all around the world (millions MORE gallons of fuel burned).

And this was the best they could come up with to trap some carbon. BTW - I identify as a carbon based life form.
And to add to this..... The DPF doesn't trap any carbon anyway! It still gets released into the atmosphere when it regens. All the DPF does is reduce visible soot

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

So you don't have a tractor with a DPF, you have no operating knowledge using one with a regen cycle, but you are on this thread and choose to issue corrections to people posting comments that own and operate them?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
And to add to this..... The DPF doesn't trap any carbon anyway! It still gets released into the atmosphere when it regens. All the DPF does is reduce visible soot
The DEF fluid breaks down the nitrogen and oxygen bond in the exhaust to reduce NOX. It also has nothing to do with reducing carbon emissions.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
So you don't have a tractor with a DPF, you have no operating knowledge using one with a regen cycle, but you are on this thread and choose to issue corrections to people posting comments that own and operate them?
Yes!

I also have never torqued my thumb down in a vise and whacked it with a hammer either, but I can give you plenty of advice about it.

No worries, you completely missed my point.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The DEF fluid breaks down the nitrogen and oxygen bond in the exhaust to reduce NOX. It also has nothing to do with reducing carbon emissions.
So it isn't another chemical I am burning in my truck that comes in a plastic jug?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Yes!

I also have never torqued my thumb down in a vise and whacked it with a hammer either, but I can give you plenty of advice about it.

No worries, you completely missed my point.
So what was your point, and how is it relevant to the OP’s initial question.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
This is what I changed,

DPF machines are better off being run at higher RPM to keep the DPF as clean as possible. The mistake many make is to run them like our tractors of old efficently using the power needed for the job (just enough to get the work done).

I thought it was self explanatory. What part are you stuck on?

The OP's question was answered in the 3rd post.