Can You Mount BX Tires On A Regular Tire Machine?

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Anyone do their own tires?
Can you mount/balance (I guess you don't balance these?) these tires on an automotive tire machine? Especially the small front ones.
Curious because if you can it will push me closer to buying my own.

I'm talking about a shop grade powered one. Not something like a Harbor Freight catastrophe.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The rears can be mounted on some automobile tire machines if the operator has a good working knowledge of the tire machine. The fronts can present a bigger problem because of their small size. The machine at a friend's shop handled the 10" front tire with no problem, but I had to spoon the tire on manually. Without knowing more about your tire machine, I can't give a definite answer. Also, the hand tire machine that Harbor Freight sells works well after you fix some of the poor welds on it. It must be bolted down to use it properly. I know someone who has one in his garage, and he uses it often.
If your tires are filled for weight, take a few minutes with some sandpaper to scuff up the powder coat on the inside of the rim for a better seal. I also use a tire coating on the inside of the rim lip because that is where the majority of nonpuncture leaks occur. Install brass stems if yours are presently rubber stems.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You must have a LOT of tire work to do if you're going to buy a 'pro' machine AND dedicate a LOT of space for it in your garage. I've used a 'HF catastrophe' for 2-3 decades,using the forklift as the 'solid base' as i couldn't afford to dedicate a spot in the garage for it. You need 6' all around it.and providing you use it and not 'abuse' it, it works very well.

Reactions: 2 users

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Yes, I have had my local garage swap out tires on mine. Don,t forget to remove the valve stem when trying to get the bead set on the rim. You need a large volume of air.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Just get some really big spoons. Lol!
The guy that showed up roadside to put a tire on our RV wheel (2 flats on that trip, but we had an extra tire) did it manually! I was pretty impressed. I know he does it often but he made it look easy.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
When I had the cub garden tractor,, ( really a good hard working little beast) I had to replace a tire and I tried all the tricks I ever heard, nada,, to it to the tire shop I already had it on the rim, they leaned it against the wall and brought over a tank, looked about the size of a gas grill tank. It had a valve and a nozzle on the valve , put the nozzle next to the tire pointing into the gap, and slapped the valve handle. That sudden burst of air popped it right in place, checked pressure and it was good to go,, took like 2 min

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
When I had the cub garden tractor,, ( really a good hard working little beast) I had to replace a tire and I tried all the tricks I ever heard, nada,, to it to the tire shop I already had it on the rim, they leaned it against the wall and brought over a tank, looked about the size of a gas grill tank. It had a valve and a nozzle on the valve , put the nozzle next to the tire pointing into the gap, and slapped the valve handle. That sudden burst of air popped it right in place, checked pressure and it was good to go,, took like 2 min
Yes. The cheata. Works great

Reactions: 2 users

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have used the cheap HF tire machine that I got for changing out quad tires, to replace front tires on my BX. I mounted mine to a heavy oak pallet. I’ve also used it to brake the bead on the rears, to replace valve stems, and refill the ballast.
Just like anything from HF, keep your expectations realistic. It gives you a limited platform, that is better than just a couple tire spoons, but no where near a real tire machine.
It is great for quad or SxS wheels and tires, but labor intensive, with Lots of lube

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I as well have and have used the harbour freight manual tire machine to do the front 6-12's carlisle r-1's on the front of my b7100 a couple spoons and some dish soap and it was done. It was a little tricky but I hate paying someone to do something I can do I have the tire "machine" bolted to a peice of plywood then screwed it down to my trailer deck because I don't have a good place to permanently install it

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Yes, I have had my local garage swap out tires on mine. Don,t forget to remove the valve stem when trying to get the bead set on the rim. You need a large volume of air.
You mean the valve core?
Otherwise you'll have to break the bead to get a new stem in the rim.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I use the nitrogen variety. Tank holds 3000 psi.
20231013_195113.jpg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Instead of nitrogen for filling your tires, try helium. It will make your tractor feel like you are riding on a cloud.

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Now that you have gotten great advice, I have to admit, every time I read the thread title, I keep asking myself:

Do tire machines have wheels?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
i have a no-mar tire changer. used the bead breaker on it, then just spooned the fronts off and then back on. wasnt very difficult. only real issue is the rims are too small for my clamp system so i tossed a ratchet strap around the tire and secured it to the machine. i dont have a picture of it with a tractor tire but this is how its set up for a motorcycle.
motorcycyle_tire_1.jpg