Can I use a chain as a top link?

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
Hey guys. As I'm new to tractors I thought I'd better ask this question. I've just bought a saw bench to fit to my tractor but I don't have a top link. Can I use a chain instead as a temporary measure? All I need to do is lift the bench and move it to the garage and it's on flat ground. I'm thinking the weight of the bench only needs to pull on something so it will lift and I don't plan to use it that way in the long term.

Would that be ok? I don't want to break anything!

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
People do it all the time. It should work just fine as long as the chain is properly secured to the tractor and the saw.

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
Brilliant, thanks. I was pretty sure it would be ok as long as it's only used with an implement that's not going to swing upwards, ie when working on slopes.

I figured it's best to check though. I don't want to make assumptions and break something or get hurt!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I would, in a pinch. As far as normal operation, I wouldn't, but to move something from one place to another, I would do what needed to be done.
Welcome to OTT!

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
I just need to move a small saw bench from where the pallet courier drops it across the garden to the garage. Once I can get a measurement with the implement in place I can order a top link - they're only about £20 so no bother.

The next thing I need to work out is the PTO shaft. When they are advertised as say 500mm, is that minimum length or maximum? I've already looked up how to measure and cut to fit so I guess just buying one that's a bit long and trimming it down would be the easiest way to go?