Can I get someone to sanity check my understanding of hydraulic connections?

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
I'm installing a 3rd function kit on my L2501. It all seemed pretty obvious until I started to connect the PB. I have recently removed a backhoe so I wish to remove those lines going to the back and I'm not sure what should connect where in the PB loop. Here's what I currently have:

1658768335445.png

What I'm not sure about is which line is a P and which is a T on the backhoe connections. If I understand it right from my kit directions, this is how it should be connected. Does it look right to you all?
1658768305447.png

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
When you first installed the Summit kit, which pic below did you use? (I did mine back in 2018 but had the BH and have since added Rear Remotes as well).
B236B05C-F4F2-4588-AFFB-29D3A7AD09C4.jpeg

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
When you first installed the Summit kit, which pic below did you use? (I did mine back in 2018 but had the BH and have since added Rear Remotes as well).
View attachment 84200
I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm currently in the process of installing the kit and it's never been connected.

As far as I can tell no part of the Summit instructions tell me how the two lines going to the back correspond to this diagram. Once they're removed I have an open port on the front hydraulic block and one on my loader valve assembly. I'm just not sure which is which.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Sorry about that. In that case, you need to decide whether you’re going to keep the pre-existing backhoe hoses or not.
I would recommend moving away from the two original backhoe inlet and outlet hoses for a couple reasons. They can get rubbed on by the 3-point lift arm, if not paid attention to. Also, the kit and I instructions I originally got from Summit didn’t quite have the correct clearance (end fitting) to go into hydraulic block for one of their supplied hoses.
You’re kind of at a fork in the road, here. Maybe I shouldn’t be assuming the pic from their original instructions to me, hasn’t changed. Do you have anything in your kit document matching what I showed above?

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Sorry about that. In that case, you need to decide whether you’re going to keep the pre-existing backhoe hoses or not.
I would recommend moving away from the two original backhoe inlet and outlet hoses for a couple reasons. They can get rubbed on by the 3-point lift arm, if not paid attention to. Also, the kit and I instructions I originally got from Summit didn’t quite have the correct clearance (end fitting) to go into hydraulic block for one of their supplied hoses.
You’re kind of at a fork in the road, here. Maybe I shouldn’t be assuming the pic from their original instructions to me, hasn’t changed. Do you have anything in your kit document matching what I showed above?
Yes that image is in the instructions I got with the kit. It shows what to do if I do or do not have rear hydraulics but not what to do when I pull those hoses out. I do plan to remove them.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
So this was the wording that went with the earlier pic—is this the area in question at the moment?
C9B87743-37B3-4C9D-AF11-C5E85E39DF9E.jpeg

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Ok I think I got it. After I remove the two lines going to the loader, both ports marked in green will be unused. I had assumed that when the two backhoe hoses were removed something like a short hose was needed to replace them and THEN I did something with the 3rd function valve. I see now that I simply reuse the same two ports.

I think I was just trying to make it harder than it is. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the input.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Just to be clear, when it’s all said and done, the green-marked hose shown in the pic (coming from the FEL/3rd Function PB port) should head over to the hydraulic block to its PB port (you likely originally had the BH going into that PB port before).

There shouldn’t be any unused ports when you’re done. You’re effectively just making the FEL/3rd Function ‘the next to last stop’ in the loop (before the 3-point) now instead of the BH, if that makes sense.
There should also be a T port hose coming from the FEL/3rd Function T-Port back to the Hydraulic block’s T-port (bottom right port on the hydraulic block)

have a look at this, if you get a chance.

Last edited:

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Just to be clear, when it’s all said and done, the green-marked hose shown in the pic (coming from the FEL/3rd Function) should head over to the hydraulic block to its PB port (you likely originally had the BH going into that PB port before).
Let's get to the root of my confusion. I don't know where its PB port is. Nothing is labeled. If I follow the directions above that green line will absolutely not go to the hydraulic block, it will go to the tank (T) port on my 3rd function valve.

There shouldn’t be any unused ports when you’re done. You’re effectively just making the FEL/3rd Function ‘the next to last stop’ in the loop (before the 3-point) now instead of the BH, if that makes sense.
Yeah I know all the holes have to be plugged. I was just trying to make the point that I'm removing two unlabeled hoses/fittings and don't know what each are.

There should also be a T port hose coming from the FEL/3rd Function T-Port back to the Hydraulic block’s T-port (bottom right port on the hydraulic block)
The T port on my FEL goes to that port. The T port on my 3rd function valve does not. If I connect it according to the directions it will be connected to the PB port on the FEL.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
And to answer an earlier question, the BH77 technically didn’t have a T-port—which is why the 3point needed to be ‘down’ anytime the BH was in use (to prevent damaging the BH valves). The BH77 essentially has just an Inlet and Outlet hose, used previously in your case to insert itself as the last item in the loop, before the 3-point.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
When I’m at the tractor in the morning, I can offer to trace exactly where the output ‘P’ of my hydraulic block is going up into my FEL 525/Summit ‘in’ port.

Then tell you which Port up there is used as the Tank out that heads back down to the T-port on the hydraulic block.

And lastly, which port from the FEL/Summit is used as the PB out that heads back to the PB port on the Hydraulic block.

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
I located this which helps identify what's what.
1658788325347.png

From this I labeled what's what on my diagram.

If I follow the directions as I understand them this is what I will end up with.
1658787915096.png

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I located this which helps identify what's what.
View attachment 84247

From this I labeled what's what on my diagram.

If I follow the directions as I understand them this is what I will end up with.
View attachment 84240
I would reverse the connections on the third function.

P should be pressure in from the loader valve
T should be pressure out to the tractor

Dan

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I would reverse the connections on the third function.

P should be pressure in from the loader valve
T should be pressure out to the tractor

Dan
Dan is spot-on here (as always😁)
@Dan—mine takes the T-port out of the 3rd-Function valve on over to the P-port of the FEL-valve. Then the PB port out of the FEL Valve heads over to the next spot in the loop (in the OP’s case now without the BH77, this would be the PB port at the Hydraulic Block).

606EC3E0-625E-4394-8ACC-D9E3BC25B8D0.jpeg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan is spot-on here (as always😁)
@Dan—mine takes the T-port out of the 3rd-Function valve on over to the P-port of the FEL-valve. Then the PB port out of the FEL Valve heads over to the next spot in the loop (in the OP’s case now without the BH77, this would be the PB port at the Hydraulic Block).

View attachment 84279
Frankly I was confused by this discussion. You seem to be saying your third function is ahead of the loader valve. That will work (caveats) but it is not the usual arrangement and not one described on the Summit website. The usual arrangement is third function after loader and before all other valves. Also keep in mind the T port on the Summit (or similar) valve is never going directly to tank. It is being used as a power beyond supply for the down stream devices - e.g. remotes, backhoe, 3pt.

Dan

1658833231277.png

1658833139427.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I pretty much went by the book using the Summit instructions way back when, but the section specific to also having a BH. I’m not certain at this point if my kit (valve parts and instructions) are even the same as the OP’s.
Back up in Post#7 is a snip from the instructions I had—they seem to go from the hydraulic block-P out to the 3rd Function Valve-P_port, and then going to the FEL.
I can definitely confirm though over the few years mine has been setup per Summit’s instructions, I’ve never had any trouble at all when using my BH77, my FEL, my Grapple (when attached), and now my Kubota Rear Remotes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I pretty much went by the book using the Summit instructions way back when, but the section specific to also having a BH. I’m not certain at this point if my kit (valve parts and instructions) are even the same as the OP’s.
I can definitely confirm though over the few years mine has been setup per Summit’s instructions, I’ve never had any trouble at all when using my BH77, my FEL, my Grapple (when attached), and now my Kubota Rear Remotes.
I am sure it works fine.

Dan

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
It makes me feel a bit better that others see it as a little wonky.

For the record, if the backhoe is installed then the directions have the 3rd function valve installed between the "P" connections on the block and the FEL (the orange connections above). If it is NOT installed then it is as per my diagram. The dealer installed backhoe is where the green ones are.

The T & P connections to my 3rd F valve sure seem to be backwards to me too. Is it reasonable to suspect that it is just a flow-through from one to the other (with the valves tapping the pressure) so it makes no difference the direction?

I sincerely appreciate all the input. This has forced me to understand the system a little better and you all have helped. I'll let you know how it all works out when I get my grapple.