Camper's question

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I know theres guys in here that know stuff about everything. SO here goes, has/do anybody run reg unleaded gas in their OLD Coleman stuff. Im trying to settle an argument I say yes it can be done with out any problems, lil bro says it cant be. Theres a lot of pros and cons on line over it so Im looking to see if anybody has/does it

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
They do make some newer units called Duel Fuel that can do what your asking, but I can't say if the old units can.
On Coleman's web site you can ask that question to a tech and get the correct answer instead of relying on others opinion.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Strait from Coleman:
Overview of difference between Unleaded Fuel and Coleman® Fuel

Published 04/20/2010 12:05 PM | Updated 12/22/2014 03:51 PM
Can I use unleaded gas instead when Coleman® Fuel is recommended?

Unleaded gas should only be used in Coleman® appliances marked as "Dual Fuel™" or Unleaded Fuel" and only the lowest octane unleaded gas available should be used. Unleaded gas contains additives that are more difficult to vaporize than the gas itself and the higher the octane rating of the fuel, the more additives mixed with the gas. Unleaded gas from Canada should never be used in any Coleman® appliance, even the "Dual Fuel™" and "Unleaded", as there is an additive in the fuel which will damage the tank, valve, generator and burner assembly.

Coleman® "Dual Fuel™" and Unleaded" appliances have been designed to handle the additives in unleaded gas. The use of unleaded gas in any Coleman® appliance designed for use only with Coleman® Fuel can result in a rapid build-up of carbon in the generator and damage to the rust-resistant coating inside the fuel tank. The cost savings in using unleaded fuel in a Coleman® Fuel appliance would be rapidly offset by the cost of replacing the generator and eventually the fuel tank or entire appliance.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Don't risk using gas in a non dual fuel stove. an interesting note: Coleman fuel is the same thing as VM&P Naptha. in some places, it can be cheaper than the coleman fuel...:D

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I recall that my grandfather would go to the gas station and buy "white gasoline" to use in the older Coleman stuff he had (a lot of years ago). White gasoline was also called "unleaded gas" back in the day when leaded gas was the standard.

White gasoline at that time did not have any additives so was very similar to Coleman fuel.

You may be confusing the old "unleaded gas" (white gasoline) and today's unleaded gas.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im looking for a fuel tank from a coleman stove.going to use it for bleeding brake systems. Back feed from wheel cylinder or caliper. Especially useful for hydraulic clutches.

I would be nervous to use anything but reccomended fuel for coleman stove.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I have a friend who used unleaded gas in his Coleman and that's been 40 years now. It's not something I would ever do the thought scares the crap ou to me. On another note my older brother when I was a kid always used White Gas for cleaning up greasy engine parts and it worked really slick too. I told
that story to another friend in the gas/fuel business and he was like OMG
that's extremely dangerous. I did it too but I've always been careful when using gas I've seen some pretty bad things happen I don't want to experience myself ever.
Here in Michigan thanks to our useless former governor we're stuck with ethanol at 10% unless you buy racing gas or travel many miles to buy the
real thing at a super high price. I simply doctor up the crap ethanol added gas with lead type additive and octane booster for my old El Camino which worked good in the drag cars old 327 for years.
I still would like someone to explain how you save anything when adding ethanol to gas when it takes twice as much alcohol to produce the same power gallon for gallon and I know it has to cost the average car at least 10% in economy ( 2-3 mpg ) and it's good for the environment especially when you add in the negative of producing it.
Al

Steamguy

Equipment
BX2370
I recall that my grandfather would go to the gas station and buy "white gasoline" to use in the older Coleman stuff he had (a lot of years ago). White gasoline was also called "unleaded gas" back in the day when leaded gas was the standard.

White gasoline at that time did not have any additives so was very similar to Coleman fuel.

You may be confusing the old "unleaded gas" (white gasoline) and today's unleaded gas.
I respectfully beg to differ.
Back in the 60s and 70s when I was a mechanic in a a gas station, we sold White Gas, and the following comments apply to knowledge from those times, straight from our fuels supplier.

White Gas is NOT a motor fuel. It was never rated to be. It would have been highly aggressive toward fuel system components in use at the time. White Gas is only 35 to 40 octane which makes it highly volatile and very dangerous to handle.
Avgas was an unleaded motor fuel, and came in 85, 100, and 140 octane. Standard leaded pump fuels at the time were 95 and 100+ octane.

When we were asked what made the White Gas that we sold different from Coleman fuel, we were to answer "Well, besides it being about a third to a quarter the cost, our White Gas has some oils in it and may have a tiny bit of sediment in it that you won't find in Coleman fuel. If you strain it through a handkerchief when filling your Coleman appliance, it will burn exactly the same as Coleman fuel."

There was no such thing as "Unleaded Gas" in those days. If you wanted motor fuel without lead, you bought White Gas or you went out to the airport and got Avgas.

Since I worked for Shell at the time, I can tell you the Company introduced "Shell of the Future" which was 91-octane unleaded motor fuel ... in 1970. We had a tank put in for it not too long afterward and were selling it then. And that's when it got the name "Unleaded".

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I apologize if I caused any confusion

Last edited:

trouble11

Equipment
kubota b9200, bf350fel,b4530 hoe, 2002 Gmc Sierra with plow
Jun 12, 2012
Plattsburgh, NY
Skeets,
I have used regular Unleaded Gasoline in all My Coleman equipment since Unleaded gas came out without any ill effects. (over 40 years). Before that I used Amaco White Gas which was the first unleaded available at that time.
just saying
Jeff