Camp build

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have used it before

I have used it before and was satisfied with it. Eventually when prices get back to normal I will go over it with some log siding. That’s the look the boss really wants.
Thats the same material I used on the inside of my hillbilly sauna. At a fraction of the cost of the recommended cedar it works well and looks nice. I went to a sawmill to source the wood and they told me it was cheaper for them to buy the dimensional lumber from Home Depot and mill it into the log like product. Thats what they did. I don't remember what it cost. Might have been eight years ago. I would highly recommend considering adding a wood fired sauna to your getaway. You will not regret it and can thank me later. Look up Kuuma Sauna Stoves. Thats what I have. I see another structure in the photo with a porch. If your new structure is replacing the old I would add a porch or two to the new building. Looks great. Have fun!

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thats the same material I used on the inside of my hillbilly sauna. At a fraction of the cost of the recommended cedar it works well and looks nice. I went to a sawmill to source the wood and they told me it was cheaper for them to buy the dimensional lumber from Home Depot and mill it into the log like product. Thats what they did. I don't remember what it cost. Might have been eight years ago. I would highly recommend considering adding a wood fired sauna to your getaway. You will not regret it and can thank me later. Look up Kuuma Sauna Stoves. Thats what I have. I see another structure in the photo with a porch. If your new structure is replacing the old I would add a porch or two to the new building. Looks great. Have fun!
We have a sauna down here for 8 months of the year, it’s called humidity lol. By the time it cools off I am done with the heat for as long as possible.

The other building is staying but the new one will have a porch across the whole front and a large deck in the back. We get good evening shade in the back so I will wait and see before putting a roof over it.

Reactions: 1 user

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Well hurricane Ida has put this project on hold once again. Made up to the camp yesterday and had no damage there so that was a relief. Back at home we were reduced to 3rd world status in just about 12 hours. No power til mid to late September, no water for the first few days although that seems to be getting better each day. Still can’t drink it but it sure is nice to get a shower every night now verses a splash bath when its 95°+ everyday.

We were fortunate and only had minor shingle damage and some siding and fascia damage. Our camper cover stayed up by some miracle but lost about 10 panels. Patio cover sustained some panel damage as well. My shed has some fascia and shingle damage from the neighbors carport that blew over the shed and is now in my garden lol. There are very few trees still standing in the neighborhood and no fences.

No grocery stores open and only a few gas stations with long long lines. Good thing for 3 well stocked freezers and my son is getting me generator fuel from work.

As bad as it is we were blessed as many have it a hell of a lot worse. What you see on tv does not begin to describe the devastation in south Louisiana. Hurricane Katrina was just a pimple on Ida’s ass, but I have faith in God and my brothers and sisters in south La.We will be back stronger than ever, it’s just gunna take a while.
8upbowhunter out!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Katrina was a pimple on Ida's ass in your neck of the woods?!?!

Wow - so glad you made out okay, but the damage still sounds significant.

Seeing stuff up in New Jersey this morning on Weather Channel...it wreaked havoc for a good part of eastern US.....

Take care.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Just to clarify the comparison between Ida and Katrina. Ida was 10 times worse here from wind damage than Katrina was. Katrina was just about as devastating as Ida to our good neighbors on the Mississippi Gulf Coast but all the news coverage went to the flooding in New Orleans. Had those levees not broke you would have heard very little about NOLA after Katrina. In my opinion they should have left that dump of a city flooded but thats just me.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Katrina was a pimple on Ida's ass in your neck of the woods?!?!

Wow - so glad you made out okay, but the damage still sounds significant.

Seeing stuff up in New Jersey this morning on Weather Channel...it wreaked havoc for a good part of eastern US.....

Take care.
I have no idea whats going on in the outside world right now or what happened after Ida passed us. Just got spotty cell service back recently.
Yes Katrina was a pimple on Ida’s ass in my neck of the woods, but just as devastating on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It's good to see that you are OK personally at least. Many folks from S. LA moved up here to their camps before Ida and are still here. Of course those folks may not have jobs either. I know that many from NOLA moved up here and never went back because there was no "back" to move to.

How Ida compared to Katrina depends upon where you were when each landed. For us here, I hope that I never see any storm that compares to Katrina ever again.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
It's good to see that you are OK personally at least. Many folks from S. LA moved up here to their camps before Ida and are still here. Of course those folks may not have jobs either. I know that many from NOLA moved up here and never went back because there was no "back" to move to.

How Ida compared to Katrina depends upon where you were when each landed. For us here, I hope that I never see any storm that compares to Katrina ever again.
I totally understand the comparison between the 2 hurricanes. Katrina wasn’t all that bad here, I had zero damage but the Mississippi gulf coast was devastated. Ida on the other hand was bad bad here. Either way they both were devastating storms in their own right and wish them on no one. Hurricane Laura that hit Lake Charles was just as bad and some of those folk are just now getting back into their homes a year later. I guess it’s just part of living in the south. We will recover from this though.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
We got power back at my house late yesterday evening. 16 days without power and running on a generator. Original estimate to restore power in our area was September 29th. Many thanks to the electrical workers from across the country that came here to help restore power, ya’ll are awesome.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Great to hear

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Started pulling wire a couple weeks ago as I had time. Probably still have 2-3 more days of work to get that done.

Still slowly getting house repairs done but man it’s a challenge to get anyone to do anything. Got my roof replaced and fence rebuilt, still waiting on a chimney stack, vinyl siding repairs, patio repairs and RV cover roof replaced.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Not much progress lately due to getting everything done on our house from the hurricane.

I recently got the overhang done and stained though. Been trying to find fascia board around here for the past 3 months. I finally decided to look online at the Home Depot in Brookhaven, Ms and they had it in stock. Hooked up my trailer and went and bought the fascia and plywood there.

Next project is to add the front and back porches then I can finish the electrical on them.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users