Camp build

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I am starting to build a camp on our property in S/W Mississippi and was wondering if anyone would be interested in following it. This will be a long term project taking about 2 years I am guessing. If there is enough interest I will start a new thread for the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 3 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Absolutely! Always looking to learn new techniques and see different ways different people approach problems.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers but remembering our camp,,,,, it is never finished, never :D

Reactions: 1 users

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I am starting to build a camp on our property in S/W Mississippi and was wondering if anyone would be interested in following it. This will be a long term project taking about 2 years I am guessing. If there is enough interest I will start a new thread for the build.

Maybe a brief outline of plan/scope of work?

We're doing something similar on our property in the SE Ohio Appalachian foothills.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Maybe a brief outline of plan/scope of work?

We're doing something similar on our property in the SE Ohio Appalachian foothills.

Plan is to build it from ground up doing all the work myself with help from a few others. 24x36 camp with 3 bedrooms, 1 bath and open kitchen/ living area. Will have a 8x36 porch across the front and a 20x20 deck on the back with a 10x16 across the rest of the back. After lots of debate my wife and I decided to go with Hardie planks on the outside and tongue and groove pine on the inside and a metal roof.

Reactions: 1 user

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Plan is to build it from ground up doing all the work myself with help from a few others. 24x36 camp with 3 bedrooms, 1 bath and open kitchen/ living area. Will have a 8x36 porch across the front and a 20x20 deck on the back with a 10x16 across the rest of the back. After lots of debate my wife and I decided to go with Hardie planks on the outside and tongue and groove pine on the inside and a metal roof.
That sounds great, I would certainly follow along! Are you using std construction? Well & septic? Do you have contractor experience?

We are doing something similar, a bit smaller....24x24 on a walk-out, currently comparing timber frame, log, ICF, & conventional, and metal roof as well. If we do conventional, I like LP Smartside. Why do you prefer the Hardie?

I hope to start digging next spring.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
We are going standard construction, we have county water already ran back here and septic installed. Actually have a 14x28 1 bunk room camp with a 8x28 porch across the front we built 18 months ago for my brother inlaw but we all use it until this camp is finished.

To answer your question, I am not a carpenter, roofer, plumber or electrician by trade and never worked in those crafts. I have done lots of projects and helped friends and relatives on other projects and built the current camp so thats my experience level.

We chose hardie plank for no particular reason but that may change as I research more and the siding job gets closer.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
This is where we are in the process. All blocks are cemented in and filled with rebar and cement. I will start a new thread if I decide to do the build thread.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Hardie plank is harder to cut than other siding like the Smartside. The hardie plank is cement based and brittle to handle. It is 12 foot length so may have more joints. It does have the fire resistance advantage. It comes in many different appearances on the plank. I suggest you read their instructions carefully and install the trim first and siding second. There are many aftermarket things to help install lights, plugs and not have to deal with the slant of the planks.

If you don’t install a sheathing behind the hardie planks they will be wavy and also you can just run through the wall since the planks have little strength to impact.

I have it on my house and wish I had the smartside instead but not ready to replace it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thanks for the heads up, I will do more research on both. I planned on putting sheathing all the way around it.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
8upbowhunter, what part of southwest ms are you in? I live in central ms.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My brothers and I were looking at a piece of property with a small lake - planning to possibly drop a half dozen seacans that can be adapted for hunt camp cabins, wash up, and kitchen, and can be securely locked up.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
My brothers and I were looking at a piece of property with a small lake - planning to possibly drop a half dozen seacans that can be adapted for hunt camp cabins, wash up, and kitchen, and can be securely locked up.

I’ve seen that done before [emoji1303].

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thanks for the interest, there are no restrictions or inspections other than what I had to do to get the septic system installed before I could get power.

I will post some property info about what we started with and our plans going forward in the next week or so.