California does it again!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
CARB unveils ‘Smog Check’ for trucks at enforcement event at Port of Los Angeles | California Air Resources Board

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board (CARB) recently previewed the Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program (HD I/M), which is due to begin phasing in on Jan. 1, 2023, at an enforcement truck event held at the Port of Los Angeles. CARB used the event, where more than 1200 trucks were screened, to help make owners and operators aware of the new ‘smog check’ requirements for heavy-duty vehicles and the phase-in timeline. The program is the first in the nation of its kind and will ensure that emissions control systems on heavy-duty vehicles operate effectively for the life of the vehicle, improving air quality and protecting public health.

The HD I/M program will apply to all heavy-duty trucks, buses, agricultural equipment and personal motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 pounds travelling in the state regardless of whether they are registered in California.

“The Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program will ensure that the emissions control equipment in heavy-duty trucks does its job capturing and removing harmful emissions for the life of the vehicle. And, if we discover it’s not working properly, it will be repaired quickly,” said CARB Chair Liane Randolph. “This will save owners and operators in fuel costs and deliver significant improvements in air quality and public health especially in communities adjacent to highways, ports and warehouses that suffer from persistent air pollution as a result of heavy traffic.”

While the heavy-duty vehicles under this program comprise only 3 percent of all vehicles on California roads, they are responsible for more than half of all harmful smog-causing pollution and fine particulate matter from mobile sources in the state

By ensuring that trucks continue to run clean for the life of the vehicle, the new program is expected to deliver $75 billion in health benefits, prevent 7,500 air-quality related deaths and 6,000 hospitalizations and emergency room visits from 2023 to 2050. These benefits are 18 times the estimated cost of the program at $4 billion.

In the first phase of the program, beginning in January 2023, the Portable Emissions Acquisition System (PEAQS) – a roadside monitoring system that measures truck emissions – will be deployed in various areas to screen for potential high-emitting vehicles operating on California roads. The detection/monitoring system was unveiled at the enforcement event at the Port of Los Angeles.

Vehicles flagged by the monitoring devices will be required to undergo an additional emissions test to verify their emissions-control equipment is functioning properly and repair any malfunctioning emission control equipment, if necessary.

In mid-2023, phase two of the HD I/M program requires all heavy-duty trucks to register with CARB and obtain a certificate of compliance to operate in the state.

In 2024, in the last phase of the program, heavy-duty truck registration in California will require proof of emissions compliance with the HD I/M Program. Emissions inspections will need to be performed twice a year for vehicles with onboard diagnostic (OBD) systems, increasing to four times per year testing in 2027.

Emissions inspections are designed to minimize downtime and the inconvenience to owners/ operators. Unlike passenger car smog checks, heavy-duty vehicle owners will be able to complete the required test and deliver emissions systems inspection information remotely without having to travel to designated testing locations. The test can be conducted anywhere using the truck’s OBD system or stand-alone scan tool provided it’s performed by a CARB-credentialed tester using a CARB-certified readout device. It is projected that 75 to 80% of all heavy-duty trucks will have OBD equipment that can utilize telematics technology – that is, sending the data automatically – when the program begins.

Older heavy-duty vehicles without an OBD system will continue the current opacity testing requirements with an added visual testing component, twice each year.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
CARB unveils ‘Smog Check’ for trucks at enforcement event at Port of Los Angeles | California Air Resources Board

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board (CARB) recently previewed the Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program (HD I/M), which is due to begin phasing in on Jan. 1, 2023, at an enforcement truck event held at the Port of Los Angeles. CARB used the event, where more than 1200 trucks were screened, to help make owners and operators aware of the new ‘smog check’ requirements for heavy-duty vehicles and the phase-in timeline. The program is the first in the nation of its kind and will ensure that emissions control systems on heavy-duty vehicles operate effectively for the life of the vehicle, improving air quality and protecting public health.

The HD I/M program will apply to all heavy-duty trucks, buses, agricultural equipment and personal motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 pounds travelling in the state regardless of whether they are registered in California.

“The Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program will ensure that the emissions control equipment in heavy-duty trucks does its job capturing and removing harmful emissions for the life of the vehicle. And, if we discover it’s not working properly, it will be repaired quickly,” said CARB Chair Liane Randolph. “This will save owners and operators in fuel costs and deliver significant improvements in air quality and public health especially in communities adjacent to highways, ports and warehouses that suffer from persistent air pollution as a result of heavy traffic.”

While the heavy-duty vehicles under this program comprise only 3 percent of all vehicles on California roads, they are responsible for more than half of all harmful smog-causing pollution and fine particulate matter from mobile sources in the state

By ensuring that trucks continue to run clean for the life of the vehicle, the new program is expected to deliver $75 billion in health benefits, prevent 7,500 air-quality related deaths and 6,000 hospitalizations and emergency room visits from 2023 to 2050. These benefits are 18 times the estimated cost of the program at $4 billion.

In the first phase of the program, beginning in January 2023, the Portable Emissions Acquisition System (PEAQS) – a roadside monitoring system that measures truck emissions – will be deployed in various areas to screen for potential high-emitting vehicles operating on California roads. The detection/monitoring system was unveiled at the enforcement event at the Port of Los Angeles.

Vehicles flagged by the monitoring devices will be required to undergo an additional emissions test to verify their emissions-control equipment is functioning properly and repair any malfunctioning emission control equipment, if necessary.

In mid-2023, phase two of the HD I/M program requires all heavy-duty trucks to register with CARB and obtain a certificate of compliance to operate in the state.

In 2024, in the last phase of the program, heavy-duty truck registration in California will require proof of emissions compliance with the HD I/M Program. Emissions inspections will need to be performed twice a year for vehicles with onboard diagnostic (OBD) systems, increasing to four times per year testing in 2027.

Emissions inspections are designed to minimize downtime and the inconvenience to owners/ operators. Unlike passenger car smog checks, heavy-duty vehicle owners will be able to complete the required test and deliver emissions systems inspection information remotely without having to travel to designated testing locations. The test can be conducted anywhere using the truck’s OBD system or stand-alone scan tool provided it’s performed by a CARB-credentialed tester using a CARB-certified readout device. It is projected that 75 to 80% of all heavy-duty trucks will have OBD equipment that can utilize telematics technology – that is, sending the data automatically – when the program begins.

Older heavy-duty vehicles without an OBD system will continue the current opacity testing requirements with an added visual testing component, twice each year.
What a GREAT idea !!! 😪

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I guess my diesel pusher can't go back to California anymore. Oh Well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so 2 things will happen....
#1.. Port of LA will be shut down due to lack of SMOG passing trucks
#2..sales of OBDII SMOGgood dongles will go through the roof...

#3, prices for goods ,passing through the Port, will skyrocket..

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
so 2 things will happen....
#1.. Port of LA will be shut down due to lack of SMOG passing trucks
#2..sales of OBDII SMOGgood dongles will go through the roof...

#3, prices for goods ,passing through the Port, will skyrocket..
That is the goal.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I think that California should secede from the Union and become its own state. The problem that the rest of the country has with California, is that when they implement laws regulating motor vehicles, it affects the other states that follow the California standards. I don't know or understand the exact details, but it all started when the Federal government gave California the ability to set standards for automobile manufacturers. Somehow, the states that signed onto that regulation are also bound by it. I know that there are 13 states presently following the California mandates and adopting the new ones as they are issued. I think the country would be better off if California were to become part of Mexico instead of the US.

California.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Do you think anybody on the left coast, thinks any of these things through befor the implement them. The economy is dieing there, the state is dieing, people are leaving in droves and yet they want to nail the lid on even more. Is the whole state on a bad acid trip?

Reactions: 3 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I do not see the problem here. The newer heavy trucks already have this equipment. If it is working there is not an issue and you go on your way. If it is broken you have to fix what is a violation to begin with.
Or is this another case of 'just comply' does not include certain people.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I do not see the problem here. The newer heavy trucks already have this equipment. If it is working there is not an issue and you go on your way. If it is broken you have to fix what is a violation to begin with.
Or is this another case of 'just comply' does not include certain people.
it is my understanding that the state of California comes on to your property and look at your equipment i.e. tractors combines etc. if the machine is too old you are no longer able to use it. That is why it is a problem. They are forcing you to buy new equipment regardless of the consequences.

A truck legal in 49 other states will be illegal in California. This will leave many truckers that are owner operators out of the ability to make a living. They will simply run in the other states.

this applies to the farm equipment also. If it’s too old you can’t use it. Can’t afford to replace it but you can’t use it. So the individual who’s had a family farm for years will be forced to sell it to the corporations. While the drivers of the semi trucks will have to give up their California runs. this consolidation eliminate competition and also lens the state to have more power since there are fewer operators to govern.

I can find no benefit To this process other than the demise of free people.

in your quote you say something to the effect of you don’t see a problem. My brother drove a brand new Freightliner for a gas delivery company in Ohio. The company ended up paying over $10,000 for repairs on a brand new truck because freightliner refused to fix the emissions system. The truck was less than six months old. And spent the better part of three months in the shop to correct an emissions problem. How many independent owner operators could afford the truck payments on a machine that is shut down for 50% of the time.

And what are the operators going to do when they cannot purchase the replacement parts to keep this emissions systems operating as described by California. A very valuable piece of equipment will become worthless. Again causing harm to the independent truck driver owner operator.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: it is my understanding that the state of California comes on to your property and look at your equipment i.e. tractors combines etc. if the machine is too old you are no longer able to use it. That is why it is a problem. They are forcing you to buy new equipment regardless of the consequences.

also going to auctions,scrapyards, etc. ANY 'noncomplient' vehicle gets the blocks torched, 2 huge holes.
Have seen pix on another forum, two NICE dozers made unrunnable and parts NOT allowed to be resold.

there's going to be a LOT of farms shutdown cause they won't have 500K$+ to replace EACH of their tractors.
tip of the iceberg guys.....

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
it is my understanding that the state of California comes on to your property and look at your equipment i.e. tractors combines etc. if the machine is too old you are no longer able to use it. That is why it is a problem. They are forcing you to buy new equipment regardless of the consequences.

A truck legal in 49 other states will be illegal in California. This will leave many truckers that are owner operators out of the ability to make a living. They will simply run in the other states.

this applies to the farm equipment also. If it’s too old you can’t use it. Can’t afford to replace it but you can’t use it. So the individual who’s had a family farm for years will be forced to sell it to the corporations. While the drivers of the semi trucks will have to give up their California runs. this consolidation eliminate competition and also lens the state to have more power since there are fewer operators to govern.

I can find no benefit To this process other than the demise of free people.

in your quote you say something to the effect of you don’t see a problem. My brother drove a brand new Freightliner for a gas delivery company in Ohio. The company ended up paying over $10,000 for repairs on a brand new truck because freightliner refused to fix the emissions system. The truck was less than six months old. And spent the better part of three months in the shop to correct an emissions problem. How many independent owner operators could afford the truck payments on a machine that is shut down for 50% of the time.

And what are the operators going to do when they cannot purchase the replacement parts to keep this emissions systems operating as described by California. A very valuable piece of equipment will become worthless. Again causing harm to the independent truck driver owner operator.
I looked at all the information listed on the California web pages. I see nothing there to back up your information as to coming on your property or having to stop using older equipment.
Older trucks are pro-rated on a standard smoke test.
I could not find anything about ag equipment and in field inspection. I did OBII connections for auto claiming but I lost interest by then.
If you can post links , I'd like to read more about this.

As to the gas company paying 10 grand because Freightliner would not fix a warranty item seems odd. 10 thousand and three months down time would be a heck of a law suit.
Keeping a vehicle up to standards is a a part of running a business. If a business does not wish to keep their vehicles in good running condition they pay the price sooner or later.

Where did the down 50% of the time come from ?

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
I looked at all the information listed on the California web pages. I see nothing there to back up your information as to coming on your property or having to stop using older equipment.
I could not find anything about ag equipment and in field inspection. I did OBII connections for auto claiming but I lost interest by then.

As to the gas company paying 10 grand because Freightliner would not fix a warranty item seems odd. 10 thousand and three months down time would be a heck of a law suit.
Keeping a vehicle up to standards is a a part of running a business. If a business does not wish to keep their vehicles in good running condition they pay the price sooner or later.

You're correct. There is no on-farm inspections. But California does have many programs to replace the Aging Ag Equipment as well as many other types of equipment. I can speak for the ag equipment as I have been involved in many of those transactions. Different counties have had different programs. I am in Sacramento county. I've been involved in repowering grape harvesters. Remove the old engines and install new electronic tier 4 engines. Uninspector comes on site and makes you knock a large hole in the side of the crankcase. The latest one that I did they made you also break the flange where the oil pan bolts up. Once that is done the engine is yours. I've also been involved in the tractor program. Depending on hours of use a year they can pay you up to 80% to replace an ag tractor. And those cases we have to do the same destruction to the engine block and depending on the inspector sometimes they will let you take sheet metal and things of that type off the machine. The tractor does have to run and move on its own power 50 ft. Then you have to take it to an authorized disposal site. Generally it is a tractor wrecking yard that has an agreement with the county. The tractor will get parted out. Not scrapped. The main thing is that the engine can never be used again. They are doing it with golf carts and many other small gas utility vehicles. Construction equipment is somewhat of a different story. Many of the contractors have had to replace aging equipment with new equipment as any union job in California will not let them work on site with non-compliant equipment. Many people have got fined for using older equipment.

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

Lack of parts to fix the truck. Brand new truck and couldn’t get parts for it. And this was back in 2017 long before they were having problems that we’re having now.

In a state with rolling blackouts the sale of gas generators will be banned in 2028.

Gas lawn equipment sales will be banded in 2024.

And 007kubotaguy gave us firsthand knowledge of the destruction of old equipment.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
You'd think, that with the water level of Lake Mead dropping to 1937 levels, California would be more concerned about NO WATER and DO something about it.....

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
You'd think, that with the water level of Lake Mead dropping to 1937 levels, California would be more concerned about NO WATER and DO something about it.....
Actually, several things are being done but the biggest draw back is , get ready, wait for it...
yup, lack of compliance.
Faucets were restricted to 1.8 gallon per minute. Suddenly bathrooms had multiple shower heads, each at 1.8 to get around the rule. Most sink faucets have/had a removeable restrictor. Pull it out and you are back to 2.8 GPM.
Nice green lawns require a lot of wasted water and yet California and Nevada have a hard time getting people to not water lawns.
There is talk of lowering the upriver dam. I see this as borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and will be just a short term fix.
Until nature ends the decades long draught , conservation is about the only option.
Americans are not very good at conservation on a whole. It takes the resource going away or becoming very expensive to drive conservation.
Desalination is expensive and will take over a lot of prime beach front property. I do not see the mega-rich giving up any coast line.
Sooner and not later Lake Mead will drop to the point that the Hoover dam generators will not longer be useful and then it will really hit the fan.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well when you move to a desert you have to live with what it hands you. The kid lives outside of 29 palms, on the ranch there is an old water well 60 feet deep I think. Needing water for live stock, they checked about getting the old well up and running. The hoops they had to jump through from one agency to another and back and forth, she said screw it. With all the permitting they needed the cost was well over 5 grand before they can put a new pump in the hole!
And Im not sure ,but I thought she said something about them restricting how much water they could pump out and had to have a water meter on the outlet side.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I get that no one wants to walk away from everything they have (family/friends) and have worked (home / property / lifestyle) for…but at some point have to decide to fish or cut bait. Can’t be easy to leave your life behind.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
curious..
do they not have water meters in every house in California ? Everyone here int he city does, paying twice..fresh water in, sewage out, so you dinged twice for filling pool or watering your lawns.