BX2755HD gear oil fill plug is seized. 11mm bolt, rusted solid. Used blower I dont think the gear oil was ever serviced

Rob18530

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 13, 2023
Cornwall Ontario
The 11 mm bolt is seized. It's now starting to strip. Any suggestions on how to get this to release. I've sprayed with oil, heated the shit out of it, it won't release

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I’d like to think you figured that out prior to draining the oil. At least it looks like decent access to the area to sort it out.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Are you using a six point socket? The bolt diameter is 11 mm, not the head hex, correct?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think what you’re yanking is the vent, not the full.

Fill is the Allen set screw on the left side of the gearbox. Drain is a similar Allen screw on the bottom of the gearbox.

The Allen fill tells you when the gearbox is full.

PS - check the parts diagram. It looks pretty similar to my BX2750D blower, so I’m guessing a little.

Reactions: 1 users

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I'm pretty sure that bolt on top is *not* the fill port. It looks like it is probably a bolt with locking nut for adjusting the worm gear clearance.

Oil fill will be the plug on the front of the gear box, fill to the bottom of the hole. The drain would be the plug on the right side at the bottom.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I think what you’re yanking is the vent, not the full.

Fill is the Allen set screw on the left side of the gearbox. Drain is a similar Allen screw on the bottom of the gearbox.

The Allen fill tells you when the gearbox is full.

PS - check the parts diagram. It looks pretty similar to my BX2750D blower, so I’m guessing a little.
^ This

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I looked at picture again- I think fill and drain might be the two hex head plugs on the right side of the gearbox, not Allen’s. Similar places my Allen’s are.

All may have locktite on them.

My apologies for the bad information. Check a parts diagram or operator manual. As I said, I’m guessing a little.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
top one is the VENT and fill port
side one is 'I'm full',when oil comes out, please stop.
btm one is drain,yeah .remove to drain....

side and btm are probably NPT pipe plugs that ARE locktited in , for NO good reason

you'll need a lot of heat and patience to remove them
BTW if NPT, NOT metric, 3/16"(?) Allen key. Use a NEW one, tap it to be 100% sure it's FULLY in,vice grips on Alley key(tight), pray, then try giving a hard turn.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
image.jpg

Rob - strike anything I’ve said as suspect and may be bad advice.

my apologies again for bad information. The front of your gearbox looks like mine on a BX2750D, but different.

The Allen there is the fill. Looks like yours has one in same spot.

Bottom of the gearbox is same, but a drain. Not sure if the drain is the same as yours.

image.jpg

Obviously I have no clue what is what on with your blower.

I shouldn’t guess and point someone in the wrong direction.

I really don’t like to give poor or incorrect advice.

I’ll bow out and wish you the best getting your blower fixed up!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just cut the spout of a quart 80w-90 gear oil jug small enough to fit in the hole. Squeeze it in.

Fill until it starts to come back out.

Change my gear oil every fall.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Regardless of what purpose that object on top serves, I assume that it would still have been removable and that the OP would s want to remove and replace it if possible.

I went to https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/ and found this descriptive term for item 200 = CAP
IMG_0034.png

If I was in the predicament that @Rob18530 is in here is how I would attempt to resolve this issue

Spray the heck out of the thing with your favorite good penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Kroil, Mouse Milk, …) and walk away.
Then order the part number 70060-00840 from the dealer. ( Messicks says it is a vent plug.)
Then every day waiting on the part spray that joint again and again
When the part arrives see how it is made and from what material.
Since I don’t weld very well nor have a welder, I would try to get a qualified welder to attach a large nut or steel bar to the top of the plug if the plug is weldable material.
Then try to get it unscrewed. I prefer to use the nut over the bar myself but have seen both work.
Just be careful not to weld the plug to the case.
If that is successful then replace the plug and use anti seize on the threads.

If not successful I would then try to start drilling the existing plug out starting with a small hole and working up to the diameter of the female threaded hole. Then see what happens and get the remaining material out or tap the hole with the required threads to match the new plug.

Good Luck

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Heat and crayons (or canning wax) work wonders.

Tough thing with that is you want to heat the hole.
Harder to do on a big chunk. Plus you don't want to damage seals.

sitric

Equipment
L2850DT Ferguson TO35
Jan 13, 2023
Michigan
Heat, cherry red if necessary. The case around the plug/vent, as you want expansion there, not the plug itself.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It's difficult to tell from your picks, but it appears (to me at least) you may not have actually damaged the actual vent itself, just the base of it.

I would open the "actual" fill port and blow air in there to test the vent, and if its still working,

"get some touch up paint, and never speak of this to anyone, ever again". :LOL:

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
In the past I've had plenty of frozen bolts, stripped nuts on Jeeps. The best thing I've found is to weld a nut onto the damaged surface. Just place the nut over the damaged area, and weld the inside of the nut to the surface. It does two things...gives you a new head to use a socket or wrench on, and applies a lot of heat to the area helping to free things. This has always worked for me.

0317011927.jpg

0317011928.jpg

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've had some wins on rusted fasteners with methods recommended here, plus a couple with wax and with a small impact.

Someone on a forum (not sure which) said to warm the fastener and apply candle wax. The area should be heated enough to get the wax to flow into the threads. Don't heat it up much beyond a little too hot to touch. The wax should melt into the joint and not burn off.

The other is LIGHTLY hitting it with an impact wrench and some penetrant or wax. I've even used my 1/4" with just enough trigger to make it hammer lightly. I have gone nuts and twisted a few off. Doesn't hurt to do a little right and left.