BX2680 or B2301 block heater install

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
I'm looking to install a block heater on my new to me BX2680 when I do a coolant change. Part no is 70000-73274. It is a screw in type rather than the freeze plug replacement on the smaller D902 BX2380 engine.

I've got the install instructions from the dealer which are pretty generic, looks as though this block heater installs on a number of 3 and 4 cyl Kubota engines. Install location looks to be a plug on the right side (looking forward from the seat) on the block between the starter and oil filter. I don't find any youtube videos or write ups on this block heater install. I thought I would see if anyone with a D1005 engine has this installed and could confirm the install location and maybe a photo? thanks in advance for any help.

Here's a photo of the right side of my engine block and plug
IMG_20231118_165310059_HDR.jpg

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Drain the coolant, the drain plug is right below the heater location. Remove the large plug (17mm Allen wrench), put sealer on the heater threads, screw it in and attach the cord. Refill with coolant, and plug in the heater to test for proper operation.

Reactions: 1 users

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
Thanks for the reply whitetiger. What would you use on the block heater threads? I've got Loctite red and then plumbing materials - teflon tape, etc. Or should I pick up something else?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks for the reply whitetiger. What would you use on the block heater threads? I've got Loctite red and then plumbing materials - teflon tape, etc. Or should I pick up something else?
Yes, you can use Teflon tape, however, since Teflon is so slippery, you lose all feel about how tight it is. I know of an experienced plumber that was installing a new cast iron boiler and he threaded a 3" pipe into the casting using Teflon tape on the threads. As he tightened the pipe, the cast iron cracked and the boiler was junk. Pipe threads are tapered, and as they go in they push against the sides. For all these reasons, I will only use pipe dope on pipe threads, unless they are old threads that have been used many times before. In those cases, I use pipe dope and cotton sewing thread wrapped in the threads to make a leakproof seal. Good luck, and I hope that you don't damage your engine block.

AC690

Equipment
L2350DT
Nov 12, 2022
Oregon
Yes, you can use Teflon tape, however, since Teflon is so slippery, you lose all feel about how tight it is. I know of an experienced plumber that was installing a new cast iron boiler and he threaded a 3" pipe into the casting using Teflon tape on the threads. As he tightened the pipe, the cast iron cracked and the boiler was junk. Pipe threads are tapered, and as they go in they push against the sides. For all these reasons, I will only use pipe dope on pipe threads, unless they are old threads that have been used many times before. In those cases, I use pipe dope and cotton sewing thread wrapped in the threads to make a leakproof seal. Good luck, and I hope that you don't damage your engine block.
Every pluming leak I have ever had is from pipe dope, absolutely garbage in my opinion! Personally use the blue goblin brand teflon tape after the last several “pipe dope” repairs!

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Plumbers have been using pipe dope for decades successfully. The problem is that you are not a plumber and don't know the proper technique for getting a good seal with plumber's dope.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Tapered pipe fittings are normally done by feel. That is why experienced plumbers use pipe dope and thread because they can tell when it is tight enough. Teflon tape takes that out of the equation. Pipe dope till it feels snug and you can't tighten it any further without a lot of effort. If you over-tighten it, you run the risk of cracking the block. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then take it to the dealer to do it. If they damage the block it is on them.
If you want to learn the "feel", get a piece of 1" pipe nipple and put it in your vise securely. Then. after you wrap the threads with Teflon tape and tighten a coupling onto it to the point that you feel enough resistance that you will need a longer pipe wrench. Then do the same without the Teflon and just pipe dope, and you will see the difference. Keep in mind that the pipe is steel and doesn't crack like cast iron does.