BX2680 lift capability... Normal?

ScottsBX

Equipment
BX2680, Post Hole Digger, Subsoiler, Piranha Bar, Heavy Hitch Weight Bar
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
Still a bit of a newbie, at least in opportunities to lift heavy items, and I have a question. Today I had my forks on and was unloading a pallet of the back of a large box truck. I was on ground level and had the forks about 4 1/2 feet off the ground into the back of the truck. The tractor couldn't lift the pallet up off the floor of the truck. It would tilt it back, and I was able to unload it that way. But I wanted to just lift it up level and it wouldn't budge. The bill of laden says it weighed 560lbs. Is that normal? I know the height affects it. The forks are about 42" and the pallet was about 36 inches and forks were fully under it. Just curious if that's normal. Thanks for the input.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You are trying to lift a great deal of weight for that size of the tractor. The max lift with a pin on bucket at the pins is 739 pounds. At 500mm in front of the pins the capacity is 509 pounds. So you were picking up more weight then the tractor was designed to lift. The curling function is stronger then the lifting function so you were able to curl the load but you could not lift it.

Reactions: 1 user

ScottsBX

Equipment
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
Ok. Thanks Big G. FYI, and it may not matter, but I have the quick attach/universal skid steer type of loader bucket. Meant to mention that. Still sounds like I was maybe above the the limit. I just remember seeing that 739lbs number and thought maybe that was just down low, then minus the distance from the pins, etc. Thanks again.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ok. Thanks Big G. FYI, and it may not matter, but I have the quick attach/universal skid steer type of loader bucket. Meant to mention that. Still sounds like I was maybe above the the limit. I just remember seeing that 739lbs number and thought maybe that was just down low, then minus the distance from the pins, etc. Thanks again.

Quick attach reaches you out a little further too - that distance from the pins is what kills the lift!;)

The higher the FEL - the weaker it is - and the curl function is by far the most powerful part of the FEL

ScottsBX

Equipment
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
Quick attach reaches you out a little further too - that distance from the pins is what kills the lift!;)

The higher the FEL - the weaker it is - and the curl function is by far the most powerful part of the FEL
Thanks 85Hokie 👍Good points.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
BX weight lifting test

Bruce

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Part of the reason I traded my bx23s for a l2501 was its fel lifting capacity.. would not pick up my small old 400 pound onan generators with the forks even at ground level.. while the l2501 will easily pick up a 1000 pounds with the forks out of a pickup bed

Reactions: 2 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I can suggest a method that I use when lifting pallets that weigh more than my tractor wants to lift straight up. I slide the forks under the pallet level and once positioned under the pallet I lift the pallet and tilt it forward a bit simultaneously. This allows me to lift the pallet a little higher in the rear of the pallet than the front of the pallet. After I have lifted and tilted it forward enough to get the rear of the pallet a few inches off the floor of the truck I then tilt the pallet backward toward the tractor, without trying to lift the bucket any higher, so that the front of the pallet is a few inches higher than the rear of the pallet.

This method works because the tilt function of the bucket has more breakout or tilt power than just trying to lift the pallet straight up. The reason for tilting the pallet forward and lifting at the same time is because then you are actually lifting the rear of the pallet while the front of the pallet is still on the floor of the truck. In effect you are lifting a little less weight by lifting and tilting the rear of the pallet at the same time. Its kind of like when two people are lifting an object up some stairs. The guy on the bottom has more weight than the guy on the top. Of course the load on the pallet must be secure enough to allow you to tilt it without losing the load.

Reactions: 2 users

AL A

Equipment
BX1880
Aug 25, 2019
Dracut Massachusetts, USA
Remember that the entire tractor weighs only about 1600 pounds. So that 700 pounds at the pins is near half the weight of the entire machine. Note too that in addiion to the skid steer mount moving the load out some, the mount itself weighs close to 100 pounds, so that reduces the total as well.

I have a BX1880 and wish the lift had a bit more oomph, but in my case the small size of the tractor makes sense for the very small space I am mostly working in. Life is full of compromises I guess.

Reactions: 1 users

ScottsBX

Equipment
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
I can suggest a method that I use when lifting pallets that weigh more than my tractor wants to lift straight up. I slide the forks under the pallet level and once positioned under the pallet I lift the pallet and tilt it forward a bit simultaneously. This allows me to lift the pallet a little higher in the rear of the pallet than the front of the pallet. After I have lifted and tilted it forward enough to get the rear of the pallet a few inches off the floor of the truck I then tilt the pallet backward toward the tractor, without trying to lift the bucket any higher, so that the front of the pallet is a few inches higher than the rear of the pallet.

This method works because the tilt function of the bucket has more breakout or tilt power than just trying to lift the pallet straight up. The reason for tilting the pallet forward and lifting at the same time is because then you are actually lifting the rear of the pallet while the front of the pallet is still on the floor of the truck. In effect you are lifting a little less weight by lifting and tilting the rear of the pallet at the same time. Its kind of like when two people are lifting an object up some stairs. The guy on the bottom has more weight than the guy on the top. Of course the load on the pallet must be secure enough to allow you to tilt it without losing the load.
Thanks much. Great description. That is actually what I had to figure out to get it off the truck successfully! Took a bit to figure it out! Thanks for the reply!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There's another 'nasty' number to remember... the 'specs' list the capacity AT THE LOADER and do NOT include the weight of the SSQA frame, or bucket ,or pallet frame, or forks ! Any and ALL must be SUBTRACTED from the published 'lift capacity'......(unlike a forklift rating....grrr..)
so say the 'spec' is 750#, ssqa plate weighs 200#, palletadapter 200#,forks 100#.
700-200-200-100= 200# of CARGO capacity....
and just like a forklift be SURE to add counter balance weight !!!

ScottsBX

Equipment
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
There's another 'nasty' number to remember... the 'specs' list the capacity AT THE LOADER and do NOT include the weight of the SSQA frame, or bucket ,or pallet frame, or forks ! Any and ALL must be SUBTRACTED from the published 'lift capacity'......(unlike a forklift rating....grrr..)
so say the 'spec' is 750#, ssqa plate weighs 200#, palletadapter 200#,forks 100#.
700-200-200-100= 200# of CARGO capacity....
and just like a forklift be SURE to add counter balance weight !!!
Reminds me of the lesson that I recently learned where I bought a trailer with a 3500 lb axle and assumed that's what it actually could carry. But then later on I learned that you have to subtract the weight of the trailer itself and anything else that is on it such as mesh sides and spare tires and things like that. SMH. You live and learn. On the counterbalance , I did add heavy hitch weight bar with about 360 lb on the back. That really added to the stability of the machine along with some wheel spacers. I live on some hilly terrain and so having the counterbalance on the back definitely helped when going downhill carrying anything heavy in the bucket or on the forks.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Yea, the height your starting at has a lot to do with it.
Newbie 23S owner here, moved a lot of pallets of landscape stone.
If you stack the pallet on the inside, right at the "curl" point, you can lift
and move the 600-700 lbs rather well by keeping it a few inches off the ground.
However trying to grab even 500 pounds on an evenly distributed pallet off the back of a truck
aint gonna happen.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: 3500# trailer axle... yes trailer will carry that PLUS another 350-500 depending on the type of tongue. I use the 'A-coupler' style so legally 4000#, the kicker is ANY trailer HAS to have brakes if carrying 2991# or more....,less than that NO brakes required..

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
re: 3500# trailer axle... yes trailer will carry that PLUS another 350-500 depending on the type of tongue. I use the 'A-coupler' style so legally 4000#, the kicker is ANY trailer HAS to have brakes if carrying 2991# or more....,less than that NO brakes required..
That statement about the GVWR that brakes are required on depends on which state you live in. My state requires brakes at 2000 GVWR and above.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
And my dealer gave me that look when he couldnt talk me into pallet forks! I did my homework first!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I think real world loader capability is a factor that is largely ignored or misunderstood when purchasing a tractor. I use my loader with forks all the time and with other attachments such as grapple and root / debris rake. It’s so important to buy suitable weight forks and attachments to maximize the remaining loader capacity. Some of the tips above to maximize capability are very useful.

Users also need to understand the seriousness of the need for ballast, loaded rear tires and / or rear 3pt weight as a loader is used close to its capacity. As mentioned above on smaller machines the loader is lifting half the weight of the tractor. Things can go wrong very quickly.

My smallest loader is on a L3901 and it will struggle with a Pallet load of 750lb or with lifting attachments like my chipper out of my pickup or from a trailer. I have other machines and try to use a much higher safety factor where ever possible. For general and lighter use below capacity levels, loaders are so useful and convenient

After straining my shoulder lifting something far too heavy, I have given up being Superman and use my tractor loader all the time, they really are a necessity and a very useful tool if used safely and within capacity. Learning the real world capacity as the OP did is very important for all loader owners and users.

Last edited:

ScottsBX

Equipment
Jul 23, 2020
South Carolina, USA
I think real world loader capability is a factor that is largely ignored or misunderstood when purchasing a tractor. I use my loader with forks all the time and with other attachments such as grapple and root / debris rake. It’s so important to buy suitable weight forks and attachments to maximize the remaining loader capacity. Some of the tips above to maximize capability are very useful.

Users also need to understand the seriousness of the need for ballast, loaded rear tires and / or rear 3pt weight as a loader is used close to its capacity. As mentioned above on smaller machines the loader is lifting half the weight of the tractor. Things can go wrong very quickly.

My smallest loader is on a L3901 and it will struggle with a Pallet load of 750lb or with lifting attachments like my chipper out of my pickup or from a trailer. I have other machines and try to use a much higher safety factor where ever possible. For general and lighter use below capacity levels, loaders are so useful and convenient

After straining my shoulder lifting something fat too heavy, I have given up being Superman and use my tractor loader all the time, they really are a necessity and a very useful tool if used safely and within capacity. Learning the real world capacity as the OP did is very important for all loader owners and users.
Well said. Similarly, I've been trying to be smart and using mine more to lift things to avoid aggravating old injuries and prevent new ones! 😊 And definitely trying to do that as safely as possible. It's been a huge help!