BX2680 - Is it a "diverter valve" or a 3rd Function Valve?

GlenOlsen

Equipment
Looking...
Feb 28, 2021
West Central MN
Planning to order our BX2680 later this month. Would like to get a grapple for light brush work. Dealer quoted me $1000.00 for a third function valve, installed by dealer. Now my question is; can I depend on this being a true 3rd function valve? Or is it more likely to be a diverter valve? How would i tell the difference? The quote sheet does not give a part number. TIA.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: The quote sheet does not give a part number.
Well that's scary !!! Just WHAT are you buying ??
Quote sheet HAS to say WHAT you're buying, parts and labour.

Odds are it'll be a 'divetrer' valve setup NOT a true 3rd function.
Ask and GET IN WRITING exactly what will be installed and HOW it can be operated BEFORE spending a buck on the upgrade.

a diverter kills operation of another set of cylinders to run the grapple 'gripper', true 3rd functions allows ALL 3 to be used at the independently/same time. THAT can't be checked out UNTIL 'it' is installed.

I'm sure owners of BX2680's will reply soon.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I bought what I thought to be a true 3rd function. It uses the power beyond loop like a true 3rd function would yet the curl/dump and 3rd function do not work at the same time somehow. Another member recently pointed this out to me. This is with the Kubota 3rd function kit for the LX2610.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
This is good info for us that lack the knowledge on the hydraulic’s. The grapple is the only reason I was thinking about a 3rd function on my 2680.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I will still be able to do everything I need to with my grapple using this setup. It would be nice to be able to do both functions at once though...

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
If it is the "factory" deal, it is a diverter valve with a single button built in the joystick handle. With my BX1880, I got the the Land Pride SGC0548 Grapple that included the 380-137A BX Third Function Valve Kit.
The original joystick handle was replaced with a two button handle. All installed by the dealer when the tractor was purchased.

With the L&P third function valve mounts on the tractor. Two extra hoses are connected to the FEL.
With the factory diverter, there are no extra hoses going to the FEL, just wires and the valve is mounted on the FEL.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's really a misnomer ,boardering on a scam, to call a 'divertor' a '3rd function' as you cannot USE all 3 functions at the same time.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
The biggest problem I see with a diverter on a grapple - if the curl (actually the dump) function has regeneration, your grapple 'inherits' that function.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thank you For the reply’s. I spoke to the dealer this afternoon. He did indeed quote a “true” 3rd function valve.
Could you please ask him for the part number, because I just went through the same discussion with my local dealer, and he said that the Kubota unit was a diverter type, and that the Land pride unit is a true 3rd function valve. Here are the instructions from the Land Pride website. https://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/manuals/380-304m.pdf

GlenOlsen

Equipment
Looking...
Feb 28, 2021
West Central MN
The 3rd function valve I will be ordering is a Land pride unit. Land Pride is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kunitz, therefore warranties, service, etc. are done by Kubota dealers. I don’t know the model number for the unit in question. But my dealer is Quality Equipment Sales in Baxter, MN. My sales rep’s name is Kyle. You may reach him
At work At; 218-297-0991.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
You might want to also get the implement that you intend to use with the third function valve at the same time to save money. My combo was $1200.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The 3rd function valve I will be ordering is a Land pride unit. Land Pride is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kunitz, therefore warranties, service, etc. are done by Kubota dealers. I don’t know the model number for the unit in question. But my dealer is Quality Equipment Sales in Baxter, MN. My sales rep’s name is Kyle. You may reach him
At work At; 218-297-0991.
Kubota owns Land Pride, and it is a wholly owned by Kubota, but to say that they are a subsidiary of Kubota isn't necessarily correct. You said in your original post that you were purchasing a Kubota product, and I asked for the part number of the Kubota product. No mater how you want to twist this, if you are buying a Land Pride product, that is not a Kubota product. Land Pride is separate from Kubota. I had already told you about the Land Pride unit, and the difference between the two units. Calling an apple a pear, doesn't change the fact that they are two distinctly different fruits or entities, when discussing Land Pride and Kubota in the same breath.