BX2680 - Did I go too small?

DJDD

Equipment
2022 BX2680, LA344, LP RCR1248
Oct 31, 2022
Prattville, AL
I bought a BX2680 with loader in August, starting to wonder if I went too small? My biggest issue is the power, or lack of it. Everything from brush cutting, to dragging a box blade, to digging. It just seems to me that the hydraulics on this thing are under powered. Should I have went to the L series? Don't get me wrong, I love having a tractor but I think I'm having buyer's remorse on this particular model. Would I gain any performance in those areas if I upgraded to an L2501?

Reactions: 1 user

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
What size implements are you trying to run on the BX and what range are you using, H or L?

Reactions: 1 users

DJDD

Equipment
Oct 31, 2022
Prattville, AL
What size implements are you trying to run on the BX and what range are you using, H or L?
Everything I'm running is 48", what was bought with the tractor. I generally run in low when I'm working. If I'm just moving back and forth transporting then I'll be in high, 4WD stays on for the most part. One example, I had some fill dirt delivered for some driveway repairs. I can get about a half of a load in the loader before it won't move and I have to back off some, tilt the bucket and go dump. It just feels a little like I'm missing power.

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
It depends on what work your trying to do. Virtually the same hp. The L has more displacement, is physically larger and heavier. That's a plus or minus depending on the job.

DJDD

Equipment
Oct 31, 2022
Prattville, AL
It depends on what work your trying to do. Virtually the same hp. The L has more displacement, is physically larger and heavier. That's a plus or minus depending on the job.
I'm wondering if the additional weight would be a benefit. I'm also trying to clear brush with this and find it difficult and tedious to remove it. It doesn't like uprooting things, just bends them over or breaks them and leaves annoying little stubs.

Attachments

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
cann't say on your exact situation but I have both a B2601 and an L3301. Of course the L is bigger and heavier.

Basically the L completes the same tasks as my B but about 2x the speed due to increase in weight, HP, bucket size of loader, bucket size of BH, and snow blower width. I use the same 3pt mower on both.

Some task more than 2x some a little less. B is smaller so fits under trees and very narrow trails better.

Now for you BX it will be even slower and limited on max. lift of FEL, BH etc.... So only you can tell if too small.

This week I moved 37 yards of top soil in about 2 hours with the L. About 80 - 100 bucket loads
The B could have done it but would have taken more than half a day and probably 150 bucket loads.
My wheel barrow would also have done the job but 600 loads! So smaller will get almost all jobs done just slower and max out sooner, you may have to get innovative like using pullys to increase pulling power if trying to remove a stump, more loads if moving dirt, but hard stop if more trips/longer time is not solution like picking up that larger boulder with grapple, etc...

I have dug out some very large stumps with my little B but takes much longer and care cutting roots and digging around much more than the L but got the job done.

So bigger is better!! (but not always depends on your unique circumstances)

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
I'm wondering if the additional weight would be a benefit. I'm also trying to clear brush with this and find it difficult and tedious to remove it. It doesn't like uprooting things, just bends them over or breaks them and leaves annoying little stubs.
Piranha tooth bar added to the bucket would make short work of that brush. I remove a lot of brush like that with our BX.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I bought a BX2680 with loader in August, starting to wonder if I went too small? My biggest issue is the power, or lack of it. Everything from brush cutting, to dragging a box blade, to digging. It just seems to me that the hydraulics on this thing are under powered. Should I have went to the L series? Don't get me wrong, I love having a tractor but I think I'm having buyer's remorse on this particular model. Would I gain any performance in those areas if I upgraded to an L2501?
What RPMs are you running when doing these tasks?

springsyeti

Equipment
BX2680 Grand L3560 LA805 PFL 1242 BB2572 SA20 RCR1872 Worksaver Grapple L4479
Mar 7, 2022
Colorado Springs
Had the same machine for about a year. Ballast in the rear helps keep the back down but does not make up for lack of power. The tooth bar will help. If you are planning on a lot of bucket work the you will be slowed by the machine. You always want more. Sold ours and now have a L3560 and wish I had a bigger tractor at times.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Hard to tell from the photo but that brush might be a bit thick in diameter for your brush cutter.
If the fill was the slightest bit moist then it could weigh upwards of 50 lbs a ft2. Dirt is heavy. There have been times where I've also had to take a smaller bite. Rain today is gonna make it heavier tomorrow.
What is your engine speed when you are running?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The BX sets the hook in the junkie…that’s what it is it’s a gateway drug…that’s what it is. I had a BX before my current B and MX. I think ZT nailed the toothbar, that will help some, but at the end of the day I question if the machine is not doing what the list specs suggest it can do, or it is not meeting you expectation. Those are very different things to some. From what you described I don’t understand needed more HP unless you are brush hogging things the BX not intended to do. With more size and weight HP will follow. IMO For the work you want done I think figure out how much you want to lift and double it(that will give you some safe working margin). Genuinely unless the machine is not meeting the spec, if you are running out of weight, stability or HP, then you already know the solution ($$$). Take concrete blocks as an example, a BX won’t lift many and a B won’t lift many more…if your expectation is to lift a pallet of them you may need a skid loader as an example. As a percentage yes the B lifts more, it it’s not many more blocks that it can actually lift safely. So I think it depends a lot on your expectation. We all have different expectation on the work and our time / patience to do it (it’s not necessarily acreage related, it can be, but not as a rule YMMV) it comes at a price. Welcome to my world. 🥃

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
What is the total scope of the work being done? Is this a large property with years worth of work ahead of you or are you fixing up and maintaining a 1 acre suburban lot? In some cases if it takes longer just enjoy it and don't worry about it. The L2501 may be insufficient as well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I'm also trying to clear brush with this and find it difficult and tedious to remove it.

HOW are you trying to clear that 'brush' ? Picture may be deceiving but I see lots of 2-3" trees in the 'brush'
There's no way a smooth edged loader bucket will do that, wrong tool for the job. Backhoe will, though slow., but not on your machine
To 'uproot and move' what's in the picture you need weight,horsepower and proper blade ( think a small dozer ). Depending on the types of trees and the soil conditions, you may need LOTS of HP and weight.

Now 'can it be done' with just a 26hp loader....yes, but it wil be painfully slow, snail paced, glacier..... Will a pirhanna style bar help, yes but still slooooooow. better to invest the bar money into a miniexcavator rental if you want to clear the brush.

What's not said is how MUCH land are you clearing ? 1/4 acre, 4 acres ?? How fast MUST it be done ??

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
A BX is tiny compared to an L2501 in every way. Although they technically have the same HP, the L has significantly more torque. L2501 has 70.3 compared to 44.5 for the BX. Also, the L2501 is approximately double the weight with more stability with more width, weight, and length. Of course, the loader can lift much higher as well.

Any tractor can do work. Smaller usually means it just takes longer. My L2501 fits my usage pretty well.

However, spend a bit more time deciding which model. The L3560LE can be ordered with a much stronger loader than the L2501, but you will be moving into DPF territory. Some don't care, but that was something I didn't want to do.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You've been asked good questions on your other tasks. Are your rear tires loaded, and are you spinning? Are they R4, industrial tread?

I'm trying to clear brush with my L35. I can tell you it depends on the soil type and condition and the tree/shrub variety. You can use your bucket on the small ones, you may need to go in with the bucket curled down and lowered maybe a foot before you get to the trunk, then curl it up as you hit the trunk to pry it out. It's a technique thing, the hard part for me is I can't see the edge of the bucket. A serrated type edge would work better also, I'm sure.

Pulling trees over is tough. If you don't cut it first, you're pulling the top over onto yourself and the tractor. If you do cut it, leave a tall stump so you have more leverage. Depending on the tree and soil, it may break off. I started wrapping a chain around them and pulling them up, using my fork frame. By rocking the tractor back and forth I've pulled pines up to 6", but you have to be careful to keep all four wheels on the ground. I just got a Brush Grubber HD to try to speed the chain wrapping step. It didn't work well for pulling out whole trees because the pivot point acts like a fulcrum and pries the teeth off when you pull the chain. It may work better if I cut the tops of the trees off first so it has a straight pull. And it may work ok if you're pulling stumps over and on crooked brush.

Just be advised that you may be using the machine beyond its intended use. And make sure your BX has a hydrostatic fan guard.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The only thing you mentioned that requires more than 18.5 hp is the digging. Digging with an FEL is tough. Better with a back hoe.
It’s not so much the hp, it’s the small size and light weight of that machine that is causing the issues.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I just moved 20 tons of gravel and 40 tons of topsoil with my BX2200 FEL.

It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but after a little bit I didn’t have an issue getting a full bucket load. It takes a little more than just pushing in to the pile and scooping. Have to work the HST pedal while lifting and curling.

I cleared a bit of brush a couple of years ago. Not the easiest, but a lot better than hand tools.

A larger tractor would probably get the work done faster, but I found my BX to be quite capable once I learned how to operate it better.

More weight can help a lot as well. It was a lot easier removing the sod for the driveway with the BB on the back then without it.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I know they look like a bull dozer but there not!
Weight on the rear and near full throttle 4 wheel low gear my BX uses a 60" box blade no problem. The LOADER is just that...a loader not a digger but it will dig especially with the backhoe (600lbs) on the rear! Most of your loaders power is in the curl not the lift! Get those RPM's up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

savoy9020

Lifetime Member

Equipment
G1800, L2501 (2016) 5ft LP box 2004 F250 6.0 Lariat Supercrew 2017 1140D RTV, 2
May 25, 2016
Savoy, Texas
I bought a new L2501 in 2016. Love it. Pulls the 5 foot rotary no problem. Loader will lift small round bales, carefully. It's heavier and not afraid of dirt work. The weight and size are good. That said, I just bought a new BX2680 and 54" deck. It's great for lighter duty work. I just unloaded 12 tons of river rock with it off my 22 ft flatbed. Running up and down the ramps was a lot easier than with my L2501. The BX2680 shines in tight places.

It pulled the 5ft box blade fine just wouldn't dig as well as the L does.

Only have 10 hours on the BX, motor is very strong, but if it's like my L2501, it really doesn't perform at full strength until about 75 hours. I am having a blast with the BX. Both have their strengths.

You might fill the tires or add some suitcase weights. That is my next mods for the BX.