BX2670 Front Wheel Wobble

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
I recently purchased a new 2670 and am very happy with it. Shortly after I got it, I discovered the right front wheel has a noticeable wobble. The left front doesn't run exactly true, but not near as bad as the right. I switched sides with the wheels and sure enough the wobble showed up on the left side.

During the initial 50hr service, I removed the wheels to switch them back to the correct side and while they were off, I measured the run out of the hubs to make sure it wasn't something internal. Both seemed to be reasonable with +/- .003" on the left and +/- .001 on the right.

Once the wheels were back in the original positions, I measured the run out of the rim at the tire bead. The dial indicator showed +/- .025" on the left and +/- .081" on the right. The wheels are definitely the cause of the wobble.

I've mentioned this to the dealer and asked him to contact Kubota for their opinion and suggestion.

I might add that I did have the dealer install Slime in all 4 tires before delivery. I don't know if the dealer removed the wheels in order to do this.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar and what did you do about it?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
the first time I read your post, I was thinking that your tire was very low in pressure, we have seen these front ends loose the air and still look good. AND in 4wd - spin on the rims!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

After reading your post a third time, seems the PO hit something and tweaked the rim.
The dealer who might have taken the tire off, could have bent the rim - but typically slime when used, the bead is not broken.:)

IF you do your run out - it was done on the outside, what does the inside of the rim measure? The run out is tweaked outward or inward?:)

itsaz

Equipment
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
If by PO you mean previous owner, there was none. This is a brand new tractor. There are no marks on either wheel indicating that something may have been hit, however there are visible depressions near some of the bolt holes that lead me to believe the wheels may have been torqued down before they were centered on the hub. The measurements were taken on the outside of the rim only.

I measured the plus and minus run out so it appears the rim is canted with respect to the hub. Total wobble of the right wheel is .162" or darn near 3/16". Quite noticeable!

Last edited:

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
If you have the wheel off the tractor try using a short straight edge across the bolt hole area too see if it is just the center hub that's distorted, that will give you a wobble. If there is a certified rim repair shop in your area they would likely be able to repair it a lot cheaper than a new one.

itsaz

Equipment
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
Already did that. Laid the wheel flat and measured thru each bolt hole to the surface below. About a 1/16" difference from one hole to the diagonal one. Of course, the rubber was touching the flat surface, not the steel wheel, so the measurement wouldn't be exact.
As I said, it's new and in my opinion, Kubota should replace one or both under warranty, not repair 'em.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Already did that. Laid the wheel flat and measured thru each bolt hole to the surface below. About a 1/16" difference from one hole to the diagonal one. Of course, the rubber was touching the flat surface, not the steel wheel, so the measurement wouldn't be exact.
As I said, it's new and in my opinion, Kubota should replace one or both under warranty, not repair 'em.
If straight from the factory - I would say it is under warranty and should be fixed for free!;)

itsaz

Equipment
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
Yup, had less than an hour on the meter when the dealer delivered it.

Thanks for the input.

itsaz

Equipment
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
Just an update:
I got an email from the dealer yesterday. He's going to replace BOTH front wheels AND tires as an assembly under warranty.

To top that off, he's going to send his technician to me in order to do the swap and test to my satisfaction.

That is EXCELLENT service after the sale in my book. He's got a happy customer.