Bx25d very hard to engage diff lock?

Hondahead

Mar 31, 2015
My BX25d has just over 30hrs from new. I haven't had to use the diff lock much. But lately every time I have tried to engage it. It doesn't seem to wont go in.

I can get it to lock but it is very hit or miss whether I can get the lever to engage. Tried go forward/reverse selecting neutral. Everything linkage wise looks pretty good. It is virtually new??? Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You need to understand what is happening as you try and engage the dif lock. It actually is very basic in terms of machinery design. When early cars had manual transmissions it was necessary to use a technique called double clutching to change gears without grinding. Today some 18 wheelers still use this technique. My point that I am taking too long to make is that you are trying to get two simple gears to mate. Until they line up they would then side into engagement with each other. The double clutching I was referring to was a way to get the gears to line up. Never vehicle now have synchro mesh incorporated into manual transmissions which takes care of getting the gears to mesh without grinding.

With the Dif lock, you need to put pressure on it before you get into a traction situation where it will be needed. Then, as one wheel begins to rotate faster than the other the opportunity for the dif lock gears to mesh will occur. You can try and accelererate this process by turning while keeping pressure on the dif lock. When you turn the rear wheels rotate at different speeds and can find an opportunity to mesh the dif lock gears. Never try to engage the dif lock when a wheel is spinning as you will break it. i.e. the gear teeth will be ripped off. On new tractors more patience is needed as everything is tight fitting but will losen up with time. If you have doubts about it working jack up one rear wheel and slowly turn the raised wheel as you try to engage the dif lock. You will feel the pedal for the dif lock suddenly drop as the gears engage.
Good luck.
Dave M7040

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My BX25d has just over 30hrs from new. I haven't had to use the diff lock much. But lately every time I have tried to engage it. It doesn't seem to wont go in.

I can get it to lock but it is very hit or miss whether I can get the lever to engage. Tried go forward/reverse selecting neutral. Everything linkage wise looks pretty good. It is virtually new??? Any ideas?

HH,

Dave said it well, sometimes you need to apply a little movement to the wheel to have the "pin" engage. I have often placed the heel down and it not engage - when I say a little movement - just a little, never let it spin and try to heel it in!:)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Definitely no spinning wheel. If you try that in a tight spot, be prepared to have it shot for further use, unless a big repair is done. It won't stay there unless there is engagement and "working". So keep your heel on it to be sure.

Hondahead

Mar 31, 2015
Thanks for the replies. It is a bit of a strange one. I think it is still a bit new and tight. Lucky I haven't really needed the diff lock yet. Dave might be onto to something with the double clutch sort of method. If I push down lift up slightly and re apply it seems to go in a bit more frequently.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Thought you might like to see where it is in the differential case.

Follow arrow 2 just a little to the pin. Notice all the stuff that has to move to make that pin engage.

Attachments

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Thought you might like to see where it is in the differential case.

Follow arrow 2 just a little to the pin. Notice all the stuff that has to move to make that pin engage.
And it looks like pin 2 (long red arrow) has to fit into a hole in the differential gear (short red arrow). That would explain why it will go in at only certain positions. I usually have to try a bunch of times, with a slight move between tries.

I wonder how many holes are in the gear.

Bruce

Attachments