BX25D slow speed and lack of HST power

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
First off, I am impressed with all the swift posts of ideas and suggestions for me. WOW. Thank you all for taking the time!

Here are my next steps... hopefully today... based on all of your feedback:

- Grease the zerk fitting on the HST pedal and see if that speeds up pedal return-to-neutral time.

- Adjust the HST pedal damper (thanks JACOLO22 "From the living, breathing WSM. https://youtu.be/FdEq4pqFb5I")

- Further adjust (tighten) the HST pedal return spring. I did this some yesterday, but I will tighten further if the first two things do not solve this problem.

- Once I have the tractor stopping in a reasonable amount of time after taking my foot off the pedal, I will see if this problem was somehow related to my speed/power issue.

- Check tire pressure.

- I will also measure top forward speed and measure the grade on the "hill" I was trying to climb in high gear so that I have more quantitative data to share.

By the way, the "hill" is my driveway. It is hard packed road gravel.

12 degrees F outside this morning here in Wisconsin. Not good "crawling under the tractor" weather.

Thanks again. More to follow.

Might sound crazy but I read on another thread where the rear rims were spinning inside the tire. His tires were filled with beet juice.

PoolGuy

Equipment
BX25D, BX2200
Jan 8, 2019
Glen Haven, WI USA
I realize that this post is over a year old, but I am still experiencing the same problem. Or is this all the BX25 can do as far as hill climbing? Am I expecting too much in terms of hill climbing?

Let me ask this question of BX25 owners. I am not sure how to ask this question since it is somewhat subjective.

Here goes...

At what grade will your BX25, in low gear, simply refuse to climb? And when it decides to stop making forward progress up a grade, what does the engine sound like?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
check the hst linkage. There's a ball link on back and the nut likes to fall off. Look closely, climb under it with the engine OFF, key out, park brake on (and for the safety nuts, hang a do not operate tag on it). Wiggle the HST pedal while you watch the entire length of the links; at the transmission end you'll see the link I'm talking about. Kubota don't use a lock nut on it, just a 5/16-24 nut with a lock washer.

PoolGuy

Equipment
BX25D, BX2200
Jan 8, 2019
Glen Haven, WI USA
HST nut was checked early on. All linkage checked... looks good.

Do you have a BX25? At what grade will yours decide to stop climbing?

I am not trying to climb mountains, but it is unable to get up a hillside that I think should be a piece of cake.

PoolGuy

Equipment
BX25D, BX2200
Jan 8, 2019
Glen Haven, WI USA
Full throttle. I seem to need full throttle to get up any kind of forward (or reverse) performance. She barley moves at mid throttle. Symptom? Or normal?

I do not know how to define "climbs fine", but I would sure think I should be able to climb the grades I am trying to climb without simply stopping to make forward progress. It has to crawl slowly up even not-too-steep grades.

Altitude? I originally had the problem in Wisconsin (1100ft) and now use it in North Carolina (2200ft). Same issue.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
I tend to think yours is normal. I use mine in Low 90% of the time, i never had an issue where it struggled in low but it is slow, especially in reverse but never felt like it would run out of power. Might try a filter fluid change if you haven't already.

JG

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have to ask, did you change HST oil AND filter ? A used, 330hr machine might not have ever had ANY oil/filter changes. I've done the 50 and 200hr changes so far on my BX23S.
The lack of power/speed with an HST could mean poor(low) oil flow or 'internal damage'. Is the HST cooling fan still there, in one piece ? If the BX25 is similar to the BX23, this fan is CRITICAL and unfortunately easily damaged.
I got a JD rider real cheap due to overheating the HST...

something to consider.

Jay

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Really it's somewhat subjective.

My idea of an incline may be different than others. Good example is folks complaining that their RTV won't climb a hill. After asking a few questions, I'll climb into the truck and go to the site to find out that they're trying to climb nearly vertical hills (cliffs) in high range. Once it is explained that it just won't do it, they cuss a little and then admit that they're asking too much of it.

Is that a similar situation as this BX25D? I can't say, I ain't there.

It has ranges for a reason, use them. Low range is just another gear, it ain't hurting nothing to run it in low and has everything to gain.

And one more thought, I didn't read all of the comments, but that HST screen in the back may have gotten a bunch of goo on it, which will affect the HST's operation (and the entire hydraulic system to an extent). If it ain't been changed or cleaned, get yourself some super UDT2, remove all the fluid, change the spin-on filter, then remove the screen & clean it. Be sure to get the gaskets (o-ring) back on properly without damage.

The HST fan is another possibility but it usually shows up while trying to pull a load up a hill after running for a while.

What about moisture? I've had a few BX's with similar complaints in the shop that've had moisture in the hydraulic fluid. One wasn't obvious either.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
HST nut was checked early on. All linkage checked... looks good.

Do you have a BX25? At what grade will yours decide to stop climbing?

I am not trying to climb mountains, but it is unable to get up a hillside that I think should be a piece of cake.
You are expecting too much.

With both FEL and BH, the BX25 is heavy.

Just about any incline will require high range and road speed will be limited even on level pavement.

SDT

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
At what grade will your BX25, in low gear, simply refuse to climb? And when it decides to stop making forward progress up a grade, what does the engine sound like?
Not sure if my answer qualifies, as I have a BX2200, not a BX25. But I think they are very close to being mechanically identical, less sheet metal.

But I can tell you the only time my BX2200 refuses to climb in low gear is when it runs out of traction, or when my pucker factor tells it to stop.

Same when I am pulling my 5x8 dump trailer up hill with a ton or more of dirt in it. Always lose traction before power is an issue.

Question back at ya'...What is your engine doing when your BX25 refuses to climb? And what are your tires doing?

I have some relatively steep banks that I mow, very short less than ten feet probably. Fear of flipping over backwards is what stops me when traction is good...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One other thing to check is if the rims are rotating faster than the tire. Is the tire loose on the wheel is another way to look at it?

There are posts about that and I believe they list the fix which I recall is putting more air into the tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
You are expecting too much.

With both FEL and BH, the BX25 is heavy.

Just about any incline will require high range and road speed will be limited even on level pavement.

SDT

Did you mean to say low range? High rpms, but low range gear will get me up just about anything. High range will bog down when the going get tough. My driveway has settled quite a bit, and sometimes I have to switch to low range just to get over the hump into my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Did you mean to say low range? High rpms, but low range gear will get me up just about anything. High range will bog down when the going get tough. My driveway has settled quite a bit, and sometimes I have to switch to low range just to get over the hump into my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STD certainly meant to say low range.

Your experience and mine is the same. Low range on the BX is powerful and the limit to movement is tires spinning in many cases (always in my case). I don't have a loader on mine so I guess a BX would stall out under maximum load when digging into a pile of dirt or gravel, like my B2910 with loader will if I am being overly aggressive.

Would be nice to hear more from the OP...

PoolGuy

Equipment
BX25D, BX2200
Jan 8, 2019
Glen Haven, WI USA
I know it has been a while, but my problem persists. I am uncomfortably living with it. The local dealer has not been much help (that is another story).

The thing that bothers me most is that the engine does not bog whatsoever when trying to climb a grade (low or high grade). I have NEVER seen the tires spin (loose traction). Tires are not spinning on rims as someone suggested. It just seems like the HST is unable to transfer the power from the engine to the wheels.

If I am using the FEL hard (say trying to dig/lift into a pile of dirt), the engine lets me know. But if I am trying to climb a grade in low, or push the FEL into a pile of dirt on level ground (requiring forward motion), or drag the FEL backwards to level out a surface, the engine does not bog. The machine just refuses to move any more.

High gear is pretty much useless unless I am on flat ground or downhill. The grades I am working on are not crazy. Never a fear of flipping/rolling/etc.

How do I know if I have a bad HST?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm... can you see if the cooling fan still has all the blades on it ?
I KNOW a certain 'green ' series of riders, the HST selfdestructs due to overheating caused by 'lack of cooling fan fins....'

ok, nuther 'silly' thing....any chance the parking brake is partially on ? THAt I've seen a lot of times on riding mowers with Peerless trannies...

Landroverbill

Equipment
Bx25d
Jul 13, 2017
Chicago Park, ca, usa
I had the same problem. Turned out there was a Little Rock ( approx 1/8 in in dia) between the linkage and the frame. Wouldn't let the peddle go all the way down. Couldn't see it. Couldn't feel it. Blew it out and all was fine.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I know it has been a while, but my problem persists. I am uncomfortably living with it. The local dealer has not been much help (that is another story).

The thing that bothers me most is that the engine does not bog whatsoever when trying to climb a grade (low or high grade). I have NEVER seen the tires spin (loose traction). Tires are not spinning on rims as someone suggested. It just seems like the HST is unable to transfer the power from the engine to the wheels.

If I am using the FEL hard (say trying to dig/lift into a pile of dirt), the engine lets me know. But if I am trying to climb a grade in low, or push the FEL into a pile of dirt on level ground (requiring forward motion), or drag the FEL backwards to level out a surface, the engine does not bog. The machine just refuses to move any more.

High gear is pretty much useless unless I am on flat ground or downhill. The grades I am working on are not crazy. Never a fear of flipping/rolling/etc.

I would take the loader and backhoe off the BX25 at this point and compare it to your BX2200 on a similar slope, and doing similar movements. IF the BX2200 performs significantly better than the BX25, when essentially in the same configuration, then the question changes from "Do I have a problem?" to "what is my problem?"

Perhaps the added weight of the loader/backhoe has some effect. BUT I can tell you I pulled many loads of dirt up grades with my BX2200, using my 5x8 dump hydraulic dump trailer (total weight of trailer/dirt about 3,500 pounds), and I never lacked for power, but did frequently spin the wheels on the BX as it tried to pull that loaded trailer up hill. (With foam filled AG tires, and MMM on for the extra weight).

My gut is telling me you have an issue with the BX25, but I am here and not there, so take my guess for what it is worth... ;)

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

Take the hydraulic filter off and cut it open. Check the filter media for metal.