BX25D running rough after fuel filter change

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
I have been searching, but I haven't found the exact scenario played out.
I recently changed both fuel filters on my tractor and now it runs fine if the tank is full, but when it gets down to around 3/4 full, it starts sputtering and loss of power like its not getting fuel. I can fill it up and it will run fine. I guess it sounds like either the tank is clogged or water in the fuel. Just found it was strange until the filter change. Any ideas? FWIW, I have tried bleeding it and puled the line off after the pump to confirm the pump was pumping a steady stream.

docwatson

Nov 20, 2012
Picayune MS Usa
I am not familiar with this model. Is it possible to install either filter backwards? Most have arrows indicating the direction of flow. If it is a spin-on filter, try backing it off until it leaks a bit to bleed any air out of it, then snug it down.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
DO this ...........

turn key to ON ..... do not crank.......... you here ticking? Ticking is good, no ticking means you fuel pump has quit, gravity will get the fuel to the injector pump when full. You would STILL get a stream if the pump was not pumping.

When you finished the filters..... did you turn the key for 30 seconds and allow all the air to bleed out?

And as you mentioned - it could be something IN the tank. But cross your fingers and hope it is the pump or air still in the line.

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
DO this ...........

turn key to ON ..... do not crank.......... you here ticking? Ticking is good, no ticking means you fuel pump has quit, gravity will get the fuel to the injector pump when full. You would STILL get a stream if the pump was not pumping.

When you finished the filters..... did you turn the key for 30 seconds and allow all the air to bleed out?

And as you mentioned - it could be something IN the tank. But cross your fingers and hope it is the pump or air still in the line.
Like I said in the post, yes, I have done the bleeding procedure and even cracked the bleeder after the second filter. I also confirmed the pump is working.

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
I am not familiar with this model. Is it possible to install either filter backwards? Most have arrows indicating the direction of flow. If it is a spin-on filter, try backing it off until it leaks a bit to bleed any air out of it, then snug it down.
They are not backwards.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Like I said in the post, yes, I have done the bleeding procedure and even cracked the bleeder after the second filter. I also confirmed the pump is working.
How did you confirm the pump was working?

Seems like the issue has to do with fuel pressure, since things work fine when the tank is full. In the past others have reported similar experiences and if I remember correctly they led back to a fuel pump issue.

I would myself probably try opening the line after the second filter and seeing what the flow was like with the tractor turned off, and then turn the key to the on position, listen for the pump to click, and see if is flow increased significantly when the fuel pump was running. And go from their depending on the result.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would myself probably try opening the line after the second filter and seeing what the flow was like with the tractor turned off, and then turn the key to the on position, listen for the pump to click, and see if is flow increased significantly when the fuel pump was running. And go from their depending on the result.
Definitely where I'd start too. Front filter before the IP is pretty easy to get to.

Maybe he's done that, but it's much more pallitable than trying to clean a tank obstruction....

marklbota

Equipment
B2710
Jan 30, 2021
Chicago Suburbs
One diagnostic thing you could try is putting the old filters back in and see if it changes things. I've never heard of a bad fuel filter but who knows.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Not familiar with your machine but does it have a pickup tube or a fitting/bung on bottom of tank? If pickup tube, it could be broken off or have a hole in it at about the 3/4 tank level.

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
Update....its still not fixed. I changed the pump(bought a cheap aftermarket one. I know, I know. LOL). Same thing....it starts chugging when it gets to almost a half tank of fuel. I pulled the tank, cleaned it out and made sure none of the fittings or lines were clogged. Did the frame mount filter mod(replaces first stock filter) and thought it was fixed until it started chugging again today. I was thinking its gotta be the cheap pump, but I dont think it is since all this started with changing filters. 🤔 I'm about to lose my mind!

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
And to add to it, I filled it up, waited about 30 min and it started fine and ran for a few seconds before chugging again. We went to dinner and came back a few hours later and it cranked and ran fine for a minute or so. Granted, it was raining so I couldn't get it out and put a load on it. I'll try it out again tomorrow. So now I'm wondering if it's some sort of heat issue with the pump.

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
Another update. My fuel gauge quit working, so I tore it apart and pulled out the sending unit and it was a rusted up mess. Pretty much falling apart. I tore the sending unit off of it mount and put it back together. I ran it for an hour and it quit on me again. So I took the tank out and found out it was stopped up again. I guess my previous cleaning wasn't good enough. So I flushed it out really good. You wouldn't believe the amount of rusted up pieces of sending unit I got out! I ran all new fuel lines and made an aluminum block off plate for the sending unit. Hopefully it's fixed this time!

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Another update. My fuel gauge quit working, so I tore it apart and pulled out the sending unit and it was a rusted up mess. Pretty much falling apart. I tore the sending unit off of it mount and put it back together. I ran it for an hour and it quit on me again. So I took the tank out and found out it was stopped up again. I guess my previous cleaning wasn't good enough. So I flushed it out really good. You wouldn't believe the amount of rusted up pieces of sending unit I got out! I ran all new fuel lines and made an aluminum block off plate for the sending unit. Hopefully it's fixed this time!

you have any pictures you wish to share? We would like to see what you have done to solve - hopefully solve the problem!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Any idea how the parts got so rusty?
It seems that the BX series - and especially the 25 series has or had a huge problem with the innards of the sending unit rusting and breaking apart .... not sure if moisture in the tank, or what seems to have caused these problems - but there have been many fuel issues related to the Bx and fuel delivery from pieces clogging up the works.

And as we all know - taking the tank out and getting it clean is not an easy task!

Reactions: 1 user