BX25D loader control valve quandary

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
I would like for another owner of a bx25d owner to chime in if you dont mind.....Please bear with me as this is a little long.

Ok....here we go. I got a new bx25d. And start working with it. I move a little dirt with the bucket....dig a few holes with the backhoe....just getting a feel for the plaything.
Here is where it gets hard to explain. Front end loader
The book shows the control stick movements as.....up, down, left, right.
with movements.....up left, up right, down right.
This moves the bucket up, down, dump, curl up and so on.
What I have found after getting mad was, the control had 2 more movements that are not shown in the book. Call me a rookie, but I only had my old JD as a reference to go by and the valve was really stiff on the BX.

I found that if I pushed up on the stick to lower the bucket it would not raise the front end of the tractor when it got to the ground. I even put a block under the bucket for more downward movement and raised the RPM's. still would not lift. So I try to curl the bucket under as if to be dumping a load of dirt. No go either. So I go online.....read the manual again.....more online.....errrrrrrr. Nothing. On another thread I explained what mine was doing and from what others said it seemed mine was backwards and plus I had another valve also.

So after posting on the other thread, I call my dealer next morning....he lets me talk to a service guy....I explain what its doing....this guy says I should push up on the control to get it to raise the front end....same thing the book says....he also tells me to push a little harder and it should float the bucket as there is another position in the upward movement of the stick. OK, I go out, start it up....put a block under the bucket again...push the control up....nothing...push a little harder and it pops into another space further up....tractor front end raises up until it cannot go any higher and I pull the control back to neutral. OK....GREAT...my valve is backwards. Should lift when first pushed then float when pushed further...Hmmm.
So I tell him mine is backwards....and I check it again to be sure. Yep it backwards. Its ok though I kinda like it like this. So here is the other part.
I found it has another position to the right (not shown in the book anywhere)when dumping. If the bucket is on the ground and level when the control is pushed the right, the bucket will not curl down with any force.....but if I push the control more to the right....well there is another position and the bucket will curl down with force to raise the tractor also. Nice to know if I get stuck and need to do that.
Have any of you other BX owners found the control valve to be backwards in the upward movement of the stick? And does yours have another position to the right for forcing the bucket to curl under?
Thanks....and sorry this was so long winded........

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
From what your explaining in my mind the only logical way that could happen is if the pressure and tank/Return lines are swapped.

I'll keep an eye on others input on this. ;)

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
I feel kinda like a newbee with this issue. I thought all was good till I tried to explain what it was doing on another thread and called my dealer to find out what was going on.

I agree with you. The service guy even said the same thing. Its no big deal though. I am just wondering if there are more out there than mine that is backwards. Thanks Jim

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Hi Jimadd,

Here is the hydraulic schematic for the front end loader.

The two blocks on the right are switched in the spooler valve for the boom.
The last block lets the oil pass between both ends of the cylinder so it can float.

I also see an extra function in the bucket valve.
Is this a new unit?
You will want the float in the last position because it is locks in position and when using it you would float hands free while driving along.

Ray

Attachments

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
This is a brand new unit. It had 1 hour on it when I got it. The extra bucket valve that is there, is not shown in the book, and I searched the web for a few hours trying to find some thing on it with no luck and the dealer didnt even show it to me. So the only way to know it was there, is if by chance. Thank you very much for the schematic also. I will look into the lines in the am as its to hot right now to even think about going out. But the more I think about it, I will most likely swap them over to where they are supposed to be. Its not a big deal. Just thought I was loosing my mind.....:confused:

I hope this help others also.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
FYI it is not switched lines.
The valve was assembled incorrectly.
The dealer needs to get you a new valve.
Ray

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I would be a little disappointed the dealer did not find and fix this problem during his checkout of the tractor. Float is pretty standard on a front end loader, but it sure helps if the dealer explains how it works to a new user like you or me 6 months ago. In your case he might have been a little sh.. faced when he couldn't show how to float your bucket.

Last edited:

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
I dont think he really looked at me as a new user was the problem. Being as I told him I was selling my JD and getting the Kubota. I think it was more like a car dealer selling a car....he would expect you to know a good bit if you drive....so why should he explain everything.

It all ok though. I am still really happy with the tractor. I have no complaints at all. I expected to have a few quirks. I have yet to see anything man made be perfect.

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
Well, my new BX went on the trailer and dropped of at the shop. Had the service guy come out and the salesman to look at it...... LOL.....Both scratched their heads on this one. So we went and looked at another BX in the yard....It was as everyone on here said it should be. So they say they are going to check/change the valve and check/change all lines to make sure they are going where they should.
Also asked if one of them could show me where it shows something on the second valve on the bucket circuit as I could find nothing in the manual or on the web....and neither one could. But they said they will make a note of it and make sure it gets a heads up....LOL. RIGHT.....
Will Update when I get a call to come get it. They said 2 or 3 days......SOooooooo.

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
Well, got the call. So loaded up the trailer and went to get it the BX. Long story short is they have it fixed even though to me it was not really broken. I ask the service guy what the deal was, and he said they changed the spool for the front end loader and had to swap 3 lines around. So, Why did it come like that if they test it at the factory, and he said had no clue. But, its fixed and I didnt ask anymore.
I did ask about the bucket valve again, (different service guy this time) and he said a lot of customers call or bring their tractors in and complain about the lack of power for pulling dirt towards the tractor, and the first thing he asks is if they are engaging the bucket valve all the way.....(I start to laugh). And he asks whats the funny....So I explain to him about my posting on a web site about this very problem....and thats how I found mine had a problem with the loader.

I did also ask if the BX was the only one with the extra position in the curl down circuit and he said no. There are many out there that have the front end loaders that have this. Its used in many ways..like when stuck to pull the tractor forward, pulling dirt and so on. Anyway, its all fixed....I did learn alot from this little issue.....Thanks to all also for the help. Jim

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
Glad to hear you got it straightened out .
It went great. Dealer had no problems getting it done. Have to say, I have read a few war stories on some dealers and having warranties work done, but this was a walk in the park.

Also made me feel better about it for the future repair work. (knock on wood, wont need any)