BX25D HST Fan Replace

Tuckerdog11

Equipment
2014 BX25DLB-R Land Pride RCR1548 Rotary Cutter
Apr 9, 2014
Jefferson Oregon USA
What are the odds.....I ordered under armor for my BRAND NEW BX25D, thought surley mowing one of the pastures would be safe prior to the armor arriving. Sure as s@#t a twig no bigger than my finger found its way past the BX25 "new and improved" factory guard plate and de-bladded the fan and tore the rubber cover off. Son of a beach, it still has new car smell and I have tear into it already. I dont have ktac or the funds to pay someone, so alas its all me. I have read extensivly on line, turns out it somewhat common, either way it sounds like a bumpy road ahead, I expect to leave some knuckle skin behind on this one.

Any words of wisdom related directly to the BX25D HST blade replacement will be appreciated, sympathy posts and prayers will be accepted also.

Regards
Jim

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think I remember some place reading a guy took and split the base of the fan into 2 parts,,, put them around the shaft and super glued them and I think he use nylon wire tie or a breeze band to hold it in place....

Tuckerdog11

Equipment
2014 BX25DLB-R Land Pride RCR1548 Rotary Cutter
Apr 9, 2014
Jefferson Oregon USA
That sucks, Look on page 2. This guy took 5-6 hours to get his replaced. Totally naked, no rops,seat, plastics. BX25

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/309039-bx25-hst-fan-blade-trashed-2.html
Thanks Slim good tip, I had not seen this one on TBN I have a shop and the tools to get it done, going to do the "factory" replace strip the chassis and pull the engine up some It's raining here in OR so why not spend the weekend working on my new favorite toy.

Surprisingly I see nothing about this on You Tube what do you guys think any interest?

bitwave

Equipment
2011 Kubota BX25 TLB, BXPANDED Barracuda thumb, Under Armor
After reading several posts on the subject I went and checked underneath mine and sure enough the same surprise on my 2011 BX25. Its a PFP (pretty f^&King pathetic) design IMO and not sure I will replace it.:mad: My quick solution was; I ordered the BXPanded Under Armor and a 3" Attwood electric bilge blower, cost was $18. The fan moves a good amount of volume, probably more then the factory fan mounted to the shaft in confined quarters. I mounted the blower on the topside of the of the under armor to the left of the fuel lift pump and had plenty of room. With the under armor it acts like a plenum so the air flow is directed out the rear over the hst housing. I then tapped into the lift pump power harness ahead of the connector so it turns on/off with the ignition. You definitely know the fan is on because it sound like a little turbine taking off until the sound of the diesel comes to life. The fan draw is only a few amps so I'm not concerned of overloading a circuit because the lift pump is a beefy one. I used a male/female connection in case I need to drop the under armor off the tractor for service. The blower is in a well protected spot so it wont get damaged like the hst fan did. The hole install took me about 45 minutes to complete and I feel pretty confident there is plenty of air volume cooling the hst now. Hopefully this turns out to be a viable solution that doesn't require hours of labor for a $10 part replacement that is susceptible to damage. Does anyone have an idea what temps there hst are running at? I will be monitoring my operating temps and may install a permanent gauge to easily watch the hst temps soon.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After reading several posts on the subject I went and checked underneath mine and sure enough the same surprise on my 2011 BX25. Its a PFP (pretty f^&King pathetic) design IMO and not sure I will replace it.:mad: My quick solution was; I ordered the BXPanded Under Armor and a 3" Attwood electric bilge blower, cost was $18. The fan moves a good amount of volume, probably more then the factory fan mounted to the shaft in confined quarters. I mounted the blower on the topside of the of the under armor to the left of the fuel lift pump and had plenty of room. With the under armor it acts like a plenum so the air flow is directed out the rear over the hst housing. I then tapped into the lift pump power harness ahead of the connector so it turns on/off with the ignition. You definitely know the fan is on because it sound like a little turbine taking off until the sound of the diesel comes to life. The fan draw is only a few amps so I'm not concerned of overloading a circuit because the lift pump is a beefy one. I used a male/female connection in case I need to drop the under armor off the tractor for service. The blower is in a well protected spot so it wont get damaged like the hst fan did. The hole install took me about 45 minutes to complete and I feel pretty confident there is plenty of air volume cooling the hst now. Hopefully this turns out to be a viable solution that doesn't require hours of labor for a $10 part replacement that is susceptible to damage. Does anyone have an idea what temps there hst are running at? I will be monitoring my operating temps and may install a permanent gauge to easily watch the hst temps soon.

Looking up under my Bx this past week, I saw a FACTORY plate that seems to be well placed to stop sticks and what not from getting in there and breaking the fan blades.......must be new on 2013 models and newer !
Glad I have it!:D

Attachments

bitwave

Equipment
Looking up under my Bx this past week, I saw a FACTORY plate that seems to be well placed to stop sticks and what not from getting in there and breaking the fan blades.......must be new on 2013 models and newer !
Glad I have it!:D
I have the same exact plate underneath:rolleyes: The blades got cleaned off now all I have is a plastic hub. I've read on the forums some cost of $600 to replace an $8 part b/c all the tins have to come off and the tractor has to be split to swap it out. :eek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have the same exact plate underneath:rolleyes: The blades got cleaned off now all I have is a plastic hub. I've read on the forums some cost of $600 to replace an $8 part b/c all the tins have to come off and the tractor has to be split to swap it out. :eek:

I run over all kinds of sticks and what not too, I leave my MMM on just in case! Seems like Kubota got smart after all those blades got busted!

bitwave

Equipment
I run over all kinds of sticks and what not too, I leave my MMM on just in case! Seems like Kubota got smart after all those blades got busted!
I suppose if I had a MMM I would have been safe! although it wouldn't be a practical application in the woods to have a MMM on the machine:rolleyes: nor does that change the design flaw of the underbelly without the MMM.:( Both BX25 & BX25D thru 2013 have the same new improved "plate" and hst fan so nothing smarter has happened yet! I have not looked under the 2014 although I suspect nothing has changed in that area. For those of us that use the tractors without a MMM some added under armor is an improvement on the weak spots underneath the tractor. For those of us that have had the hst fan blades sheared off its helpful to learn what others have done to remedy the problem, what works and what doesn't. Hopefully you never have to deal with that headache of a busted hst fan and the tractor serves you well good luck:D