BX25D box scraper help -newbie-

abfiveo

Equipment
BX25D FEL/backhoe
Apr 11, 2013
Masury, Ohio
Hey everyone, I just bought my very first tractor about a week ago, I've never owned one before therefore haven't really used one much, but I had a septic system put in October and my yard is a messy mix is roots and rocks, I've been looking at box scrapers and from what ive gathered this may be the best way to grade/level the yard? If so I've been looking at a 5' box blade on CL I was told my 25 hp would pull it, anybody have luck pulling something that big rather than a 4'? Any input would be much appreciated - thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Its often said with a Kubota that you'll loose traction long before you loose horsepower. Having small rear tires on the BX25 limits the amount of liquid ballast you can put in the tires. I don't think you'll be able to drag a 5 footer as efficiently as you would a 4ft.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I remember right I thin they take 5 or 6 gallon to fill the rears on the BX not a lot of weight but it helps so total maybe 90 pound extra and it does help and a set of wheel weights adds another 150 so 240 maybe 250,,, even with that a 5 foot box will be a tad to big if you get really aggressive with it,, And MHO is take the width of the back end and a tad more so a 4 footer will work find,, Now if the price is right on the 5 footer and you don't get nuts with it you might be ok,, but were it on my little BX I would stay with w 4 footer,, again just MHO

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You'll be better off to have a 4' that you can handle and use to it's potential than a 5' that keeps you stopped and spinning.

abfiveo

Equipment
BX25D FEL/backhoe
Apr 11, 2013
Masury, Ohio
Thank you guys very much for the input, I'm going to go with the 4' box, now for weight- will I need to fill the tires/add wheel weights? I read on another post to fill the FEL with rocks " which I have plenty of" but would that be enough even for the 4 footer? Thank you all again for the quick responses!

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
First off let me say welcome to the neighborhood and congrats on your new tractor.

Second I would have your rear tires filled with beat juice (I know there is another name for it, but I can't remember it). I would also stay away from the sodium stuff unless you want to buy new rims sooner than you have to. I also agree with the other guys a 4' box scraper is plenty big enough for you BX25D.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Agreed, tried 5' and 4' on our BX and 4' is much better, we have wheel weights on one and fluid in the other, having used one without weighted tires next to one with, you can really tell the difference, we we now have weight on both.

BX25Owner

Equipment
BX25
Apr 4, 2013
Nottingham, PA
I just bought new BX25D 3weeks ago and bought a 4' box blade/scraper. The tractor pulls it very well even without wheel weights just put it in four wheel drive and go. When I bought it the dealer told me that the 4 ft size was the way to go and that five foot was a little to big for this tractor.

Hope this helps,

abfiveo

Equipment
BX25D FEL/backhoe
Apr 11, 2013
Masury, Ohio
I just bought new BX25D 3weeks ago and bought a 4' box blade/scraper. The tractor pulls it very well even without wheel weights just put it in four wheel drive and go. When I bought it the dealer told me that the 4 ft size was the way to go and that five foot was a little to big for this tractor.

Hope this helps,
Very helpful thanks! I'll give it a try without the weights and the 4' box!