BX25D BH removal and storage Outside

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sadly, I have no room to store my BH when it comes off in a month or so. I'll tarp it up and it will have to do. The thing is, I have to leave it on the dirt. It is not level ground. So..... I was thinking about placing some 4"ThickX8"WideX16"Long Cement block under it, one under each outrigger, one under the bucket and one or two under the base. Expanding on this,. I was then thinking about building some sort of 'thin' decking that could rest on the blocks and then the BH on top of that. The idea of the cement 'grinding' into the BH bugs me. But I do not know how much room for height (from the ground to the bottom of the main section) I'll have and I do not know what the dimensions of the BH (main section to outriggers to buck) will be once down. Anyone dealt with this? Suggestions?

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Use a pallet! Plenty around for free everywhere
Is a pallet big enough? My concern also is it too tall?
You are right (if the size works) as I already have a few stacked up. Certainly easier than spending the morning building something.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I wouldn't even think twice about it. Sure, covered is better, but all kinds of equipment sits outside with no issues. I sit mine on two cinder blocks to keep the main body off the ground, outriggers, subframe, and bucket on the ground. Use some wood blocks instead if you are afraid of scratching the under side.

kbone

Equipment
Kubota BX25, loader, backhoe, post hole digger
Oct 21, 2015
Oregon, USA
When I take the backhoe off to use the post hole digger I used a short piece of 12 x 12 square post under the back hoe as the hydraulic wont hold for to long and then when you go to put it back on you have to hook your hoses up to lift it back up with the out riggers. Seems easier for me, then I can just back into it and not have to mess around trying to get it leveled so I can back into it. I have the boom and bucket extended and also coated the exposed cylinders with white grease to give them a little extra protection.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Great suggestions, please, keep them coming!:)

So consensus is I can support the main section at least 12" (back over) over the ground when removing the unit.

I figure when I go to re-install it, I'll get a pal over to assist in lining it up, he has a slightly larger tractor and told me it is a PITA when it is a one man show.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"PITA when it is a one man show"

on level ground it can be a challenge! - sagging down in grass over a winter makes PITA look fun!

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Great suggestions, please, keep them coming!:)

So consensus is I can support the main section at least 12" (back over) over the ground when removing the unit.

I figure when I go to re-install it, I'll get a pal over to assist in lining it up, he has a slightly larger tractor and told me it is a PITA when it is a one man show.
Pick up a pair of jack stands for supports, once set they will hold it up nicely. I would cover it too, less to clean in the spring.

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
I built a stand on wheels for mine, but haven't quite got it perfected yet. The BH loses enough hydraulic pressure over time that the bucket slips of its part of the stand and it all slowly tips forward. I used to store my BH outside on some 4"x6" pressure treated blocks, which worked ok. Kept it up off the dirt/mud. once the hydraulic lines are hooked back up you can use the outriggers and bucket to move it around to line it up with the tractor...its not something you can manhandle into place like other less weighty implements. Its certainly easier to remount it with 2 people, but I've done it by myself. My other implements I can mount on the tractor in 10 minutes or less, my BH takes probably 30 minutes. All my implements that have hydraulic lines I store inside my barn (a tractor barn is in the plans), the ones without I store outside.

gottaride68

Equipment
BW 25D, w/FEL, MMM, BH, and her name is CLementine
Aug 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
It doesn't matter where you deck off your BH. That's the beauty of the outriggers. Yes block the under body, as over time the outriggers will sag. To load it back on, not hard to do, just back up to it, a little back and forth action...spit on it...and bingo...yer in!!! or should I say its on....best is to learn how to do it yourself....

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I appreciate the experieced based info. I think some thin cement blocks and a few left over foot long pressure treated 2X8's will do just fine. I'll keep the investment down to under $5

Still working the wife to let me build a giant utility building. I figure she got the 500 square foot dream kitchen and a 400 foot library, it is my turn. Plus she'd like all the motorcycles out of the third garage bay so she would have more room for her gardening stuff. About six more months until she is worn down and will come up with the suggestion 'all on her own' to have a new out 60' X 40' building done. I'll make sure she gets her very own shelf.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I appreciate the experieced based info. I think some thin cement blocks and a few left over foot long pressure treated 2X8's will do just fine. I'll keep the investment down to under $5

Still working the wife to let me build a giant utility building. I figure she got the 500 square foot dream kitchen and a 400 foot library, it is my turn. Plus she'd like all the motorcycles out of the third garage bay so she would have more room for her gardening stuff. About six more months until she is worn down and will come up with the suggestion 'all on her own' to have a new out 60' X 40' building done. I'll make sure she gets her very own shelf.

hell, give her two SHELVES and speed up the deal!!!!:D;):)

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Use a strap, piece of rope, something to go between the outriggers to keep them up. I use one of the cheap ones from Harbor freight that just pull tight. It doesn't have to be real strong.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Practice installing and removing backhoe a few times. It gets easier after the first few times. As mentioned using a strap to hold outriggers. Me, i would forget strap and pop it.thats why i would opt for a chain cut to the right length.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
What seems like a 100 years ago I asked a very similar question. As stated above I was told to make sure it wasn't resting totally on the ground. I was also told to make sure I protected the cylinders by a heavy coating of WD-40 to the point of almost dripping. I was also told when I covered it to make sure that there was a way for fresh air to circulate as if it was totally sealed a boat load of moisture will build up and cause troubles. So far following those ideas I haven't had any issues. Hope that helps

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
If your going to build a rack to hold it, I posted the measurements off of the BXpanded dolly that will give you the height off of the ground and the "pocket" that the bucket sits in. If you have a really smooth surface, I would highly recommend the dolly, whether home built or bought by them. It works awsum.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks guys. The 'storage' location is far from flat or even.
I think it will rest on 4" thick cement block with some 2X8 pressure treated wood then covered with a tarp. I'll lithium grease the exposed hydraulic cylinder rods and EP grease the zerks one last time.
Plenty of air flow. I'll make sure the trap is situated so if it condenses moisture on the inside, it will tend to drip a safe way, much like you do the opposite to collect water in the desert. Metal parts not sitting on the dirt for four months.

My wife named my little BX 'Wally'. Every day, I'll mention how 'Wally' is left out in the cold and I'll offer her cocoa. Guilt............;)

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
William dont if this helps but I use a motorcycle cover for my backhoe. Its inside so it just keeps the dust off it. Bought last year at menards, the largest they had and fits pretty good, $20 and breathable. I have a pic in my album

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
William dont if this helps but I use a motorcycle cover for my backhoe. Its inside so it just keeps the dust off it. Bought last year at menards, the largest they had and fits pretty good, $20 and breathable. I have a pic in my album
Great idea, need to hit Menards and see what they have for sale on the covers.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I wish I could keep it inside but the wife would not like her car outside!
A sad fact but I do not have an indoor storage location. Yet. My little 10' X 10' shed has the riding mower, push mower, pressure washer, tiller, wood chipper shovels, chainsaw weed wacker, leaf blower, ect. and is packed to the gills.
I agree, any item that is going to sit for a period should have a cover, even if it is just an old sheet to keep the dust off. I did manage to have my wife make covers for the pressure washer, both generators and a few other items. Maybe I need to move her gardening stuff to the back of the shed foring her to drag everything out when she has a project.... hmmmmm Perhaps.... if I try to get her to make a cover the the tractor, she'll break down and get on board with building a new large utility building.

The strap between the out riggers sounds like it is a good idea. I assume I have to include the arm in this to triangulate.

I'll look into the dolly once I have a hard surface to use it on. Thanks.!