BX25 Snowblower

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey OTT, been a while since I last posted. Just want to talk about getting rear blower for my BX. I am not sure I want talked into it, or talked out of it.

I have a fairly long driveway with 2 slopes, I also have a current plow guy who uses a big Deere to plow and treats me really good $$ wise.

But, I simply like to play and use the tractor - my biggest worry I think is not being able to climb the two hills and having to call him. I have done some research into chains and there is almost too much info - some saying dont do chains, others saying do. Some saying I would need to also invest in turfs (currently on R4s) etc...

Anyways, lets have a conversation about my predicament. Vids and pics of course always welcome.

Thanks
B

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I've got a BX2370, so similar size machine. I've got a front snow blower and turf tires (no chains). I also use a 3 point blade. My driveway is pretty flat, but have cleared some of the more sloped areas of my yard (path to propane tank for example).

I've had no problems with traction in snow. The only times I've gotten stuck have involved either mud or getting high centered (went to fast with a tilted blade and got pulled into a snow bank and had no wheels on the ground...). With a loader on I think it would take some effort to get into trouble you can't get out of with a little care.

Now I think a 3 point blower for a long driveway would be annoying. Looking over your shoulder the whole way for several passes (I takes me 4 passes to clear the width of the driveway), I'd think would give a sore neck.

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
I used to have an older tractor with a rear 3pt blower. Always got a sore neck from it. Went to a skid steer after that, which was fine with a snow bucket, but it was an old machine and repairs every year was just too much. Went to my BX25 with a front blower after that and have not regretted it since. I have a 3pt blade for rear weight and occasional use, but rely on the front blower for clearing my 500 ft or so of driveway. I have one hill that turns as you come up - difficult to blow at times uphill, depending on slippage, but never a problem downhill. Lesson learned was always blow downhill on steeper slopes, and only uphill on gradual slopes. I just have industrial tires with no chains, I just leave it in 4WD mode all the time.
My recommendation is, for longer driveways and/or irregular driveways, use a front blower. If you have a flat, straight driveway, rear blower may be ok if your neck can stand it...

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Check my signature line for a description of my Kubota fleet. All 3 tractors have front mounted blowers. 'Nuff said.

OK, not quite enough said... I have turf tires on two tractors, R1 Ag tires on the other. R1s win in loose snow. Turf's win on anything that's the least bit slippery. All indications I've seen from using borrowed/rented Kubota tractors is the R4's are a pretty poor compromise between turf's and ags when it comes to nasty stuff like wet snow and ice.

That having been said, tire chains are cheap and provide such a boost in traction that you will wonder why you didn't put them on from the get-go... as long as you don't have asphalt or concrete that'll get chewed up by the chains. I don't have chains on any of my Kubota's yet, but I do have a new set sitting in the box in case the relatively worn turf tires on the B2410 need some help.

Weight makes a big difference to traction. With the front mount blowers I have heavy box scraper blades on the back. The box scraper does wonders for dragging snow away from garage doors and the like and are far more useful than a ballast box. Heck, I can even drop the rippers to chew up ice if I have to. Hope I never have to...

Pushing snow is dead last. My father-in-law from New Brunswick pushed snow with a Farmall and chains. He visited us in March when we received a massive dump of snow. He watched me with my first MF35 and its 3pt mounted rear blower. When we went to visit him six weeks later he had an MF135 with a Meteor 3pt blower.

As much as a rear-mounted blower is a step up from pushing snow, the front-mounted blower is just that much better again. No more sore neck/back/shoulders.

My biggest complaint while blowing snow earlier today was that I should have taken my jacket off as it was getting a bit too warm in the cab. Yeah, life is very good!

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I fully understand the advantages of front mount however I have no issues with sore neck or the like. I simply sit sideways on the seat and run the pedal with my left foot. Additionally I need the bucket on during winter.

Chains really are my answer i think and am curious of the post reply that said "chains are cheap" - can you point me in directions of these chains you speak of?

Most I see are multiple hundreds of US dollars not to mention shipping to Canada.

Thanks again all and I hope for more replies.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I used to have an older tractor with a rear 3pt blower. Always got a sore neck from it. Went to a skid steer after that, which was fine with a snow bucket, but it was an old machine and repairs every year was just too much. Went to my BX25 with a front blower after that and have not regretted it since. I have a 3pt blade for rear weight and occasional use, but rely on the front blower for clearing my 500 ft or so of driveway. I have one hill that turns as you come up - difficult to blow at times uphill, depending on slippage, but never a problem downhill. Lesson learned was always blow downhill on steeper slopes, and only uphill on gradual slopes. I just have industrial tires with no chains, I just leave it in 4WD mode all the time.
My recommendation is, for longer driveways and/or irregular driveways, use a front blower. If you have a flat, straight driveway, rear blower may be ok if your neck can stand it...

I feel your pain (in the neck....:D). I added a video cam to the backside on my M (which had the blower on it as well as a side cam facing right so I can watch the implements without turning. Did the same with the 105 for watching implements.

I ran a Lucknow 76 inch 2 stage double auger blower for years but I sold it and now I have the guy down the road plow the drives. Charges me 10 bucks a plow. Much better than doing it myself and I sold the blower for just about what I paid for it.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Chains really are my answer i think and am curious of the post reply that said "chains are cheap" - can you point me in directions of these chains you speak of?

Most I see are multiple hundreds of US dollars not to mention shipping to Canada.

Thanks again all and I hope for more replies.
Compared to anything else you're going to put on that tractor, chains are cheap. Consider the cost of changing tires. Chains will be less than 1/3 of that cost. All things, and especially costs, are relative.

Here's a current discussion thread on the topic of sourcing tire chains.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39082

I recently bought a brand new set, still in the box, from a widow whose husband had purchased them and never installed them. Kijiji can be your friend!

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Imagine being excited and hoping for a storm :)
Ah, yeah, you're in good company here. Most of us with good orange equipment kind of look forward to getting out to play, ah, err, "work" at clearing snow! :D

From my signature line you can probably tell that I need to join a support group like Snowblowers Anonymous...

What make/model did you get that has a 5-bladed fan? I see a nice improvement in performance between the 3-bladed B2550 and my other 4-bladed blowers. Wonder how much difference that 5th blade might bring?

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Its an MKM (MK Martin - Canadian company)

I expect it will work great and will report back when i have a chance.
I find myself analyzing my driveway now and being perhaps over-worried about hurting machine or breaking shear bolts. I mean will a little ridge (so tires tracks from when it was soft) ruin my day?

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Got a chance to use the new unit on Saturday - Worked fantastic - will be even better when the ground hardens up.

Let me ask you this - the chute will turn lets say 320degrees stop to stop - but when going from one side to the other side it actually turns so that the chute points to my face (to tractor front end). I would think this isnt correct??

Any thoughts?

crippler

Equipment
KUBOTA Bx23s, KUBOTA B6200, KUBOTA B7400, KUBOTA B7800, Mitsubishi D1500 II
May 25, 2014
Carthage NY
You are correct. I have 3 small kubota's and 3 rear blowers and 1 front, they all go side to side blowing away from the tractor. post a pic of your blower or message me.

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for reply.

Had chance to have good look.

Looks like tractor folks just made bonehead mistake. I moved stop bolt from one hole to another hole and now it works as I would expect.