where do I buy chains for my rear tires

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
I bought a pair online. Tire chains.com 12.4-16 they didn't fit too short. I have Industrial tires, and they are filled with rim quard, if that makes any difference. Kubota B7800. Thanks.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I bought a pair online. Tire chains.com 12.4-16 they didn't fit too short. I have Industrial tires, and they are filled with rim quard, if that makes any difference. Kubota B7800. Thanks.
I have bought all of my tire chains over the years from tirechains.com, except the last set. I bought the last set from North States through my dealer. Price is similar. North States is a supplier of cast iron weights (including Kubota weights), tire chains and other items. They do not sell directly to consumers.

Note: Tractor tire chains are designed to fit multiple tire sizes and one must nearly always modify a new set to fit. Usually they are too long and must be cut down. I have never received a set that is too short, but have received sets that need additional cross chains, which were supplied free of charge after telepnone inquiry. Rim Guard is not the issue.

FWIW, the last sets (F & R) that I ordered were for my B3350. My B3350 has standard sized R-4 tires. IIRC, the rears are 12.4-16s. The rears are filled with Rim Guard. This is a dealer mistake for which I did not pay, as I change all of my own tires and NEVER use liquid ballast. To fit the front chains, I needed to cut 3 links from the side chains and add 2 cross chains to each set. The rear chains were much too long. I needed to remove 3 cross chains from each set and well over a foot from the side chains. All of my tractor chains are 2 link ladder design as these are safe for asphalt.

Tip: North States provides free shipping to dealers for orders that weigh 1,000 Lbs. or more. Many (most?) dealers buy cast iron weights from North States. If in no hurry ask your dealer to order your chains the next time that they order weights to avoid paying shipping, which is significant for tire chains shipped UPS.

The folks at tirechains.com are very helpful. Call them on the telephone and explain your issue. They will correct it.

SDT

Last edited:

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
Thanks SDT. Mine were ladder type too. I sent them pictures. Didn't hear from them. I bought them through amazon. I sent them back. I was short about 2 or 3 cross chains. the side chains were about 6" too short.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Call them and order direct. They will take care of any problems for you. When you go through a reseller like Amazon, the seller doesn’t always get the feedback that there is problems.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks SDT. Mine were ladder type too. I sent them pictures. Didn't hear from them. I bought them through amazon. I sent them back. I was short about 2 or 3 cross chains. the side chains were about 6" too short.
That's one of the reasons that I rarely buy through Amazon.

That said, reorder directly from tirechains.com or from North States through your tractor dealer. You can telephone tirechains.com to place a phone order if you like.

I picked up another set of chains for a friend from my dealer this morning. They too, were ordered from North States without shipping charges because they ordered wheel weights at the same time.

SDT

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
How about putting on studs? Can you take them off and on? I have them on my truck tires. Any thoughts? Thank you.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
How about putting on studs? Can you take them off and on? I have them on my truck tires. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Do you mean studded chains?

Excellent for ice but very damaging to asphalt or concrete.

SDT

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
not studded chains, just studs. Since the b7800 and some other models don't have enough clearance in one spot on the fender I think. A chain can rub. So they use a spacer. I don't understand how. I see one spot on the fender that has a couple of bolts that could rub if the chain was kind of loose. But I keep mine tight. But if that could be a problem, I thought what about studs? Drill a hole screw them in.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I got mine from www.tirechainsrequired.com. I have had them for over 4 yrs. They fit great and work fine. I just bought some for the front this year to stop slipping on the ice and pushing my tractor to the side.
You will need front chains if you plan to move serious snow.

They add little to pulling/pushing power but improve steering enormously.

Two link ladders are recommended for paved surfaces.

SDT

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
Those would be great if I had a crushed stone driveway. But I have blacktop. I heard those are not good for blacktop. I wonder if the ones im thinking of are bad on driveways too. Thanks.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Those would be great if I had a crushed stone driveway. But I have blacktop. I heard those are not good for blacktop. I wonder if the ones im thinking of are bad on driveways too. Thanks.
Ladder chains without Z bars are OK for asphalt. See the tirechains.com website. Two link rather than 4 link ladders are recommended.

I've been using 2 link ladder chains on my asphalt areas for over 25 years with no issues.

SDT

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I run 2 link ladder chains on front and rear of my B2920 on asphalt and the only time it scratches the the pavement is if you spin the tires. I have asphalt from road to my garage which is about 60 feet and downhill to garage. The rest that I remove snow from is gravel.